“Excellent, and lovely”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a very nice stay there last year, and would love to go back. Nice amenities, and the restaurant is very good. The location is very quiet and peaceful. All in all, it was a lovely trip, and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have been occasional guests at The Inn at Thorn Hill, visiting five times over the past 27 years. We have seen the changes in ownership, rebuilding after the fire, and now the most recent change in ownership.

Our overall experience was very good, but there were a few hiccups in food and service at the restaurant that indicate opportunities for improvement. In a word, the food is “inconsistent”. My wife and I each ordered steak to be cooked medium. I received medium-rare; she received medium-well. Both were tasty, but neither were exactly what we ordered.

Dinner with Sarah as our server was awesome, with cheerful, friendly, and efficient service. Other servers were friendly, but had some difficulty pacing the meals, with a 15 minute wait for a bottle of wine one night and a 40 minute wait for appetizers another. Fortunately, my wife and I enjoyed each other’s company to pass the time during the long pauses in service.

We were not the only ones to encounter dining room issues; several other couples sent food back or were mis-charged, requiring Klaus' (the dining room manager's) attention.

We stayed in the Notch View cottage, located directly behind the Inn. Unfortunately, this is also near the massive cooling unit for the Inn, so I would recommend other accommodations for enjoying the quiet of the White Mountains.

Room Tip: The Notch View cottage is located near the massive cooling unit for the Inn so plan to keep the wind...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MassGrizzly
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I just returned from the Inn at Thorn Hill in Jackson, NH. This is our second trip to the White Mountains in as many years and I must confess I did not have high expectations for this place given the amount I had to pay for the Travelzoo voucher. Sometimes, you get MORE than what you pay for. The Inn at Thorn Hill was definitely one of those times.

After a 7 1/2 ride in from Central New Jersey (we took the long way), we were exhausted but pleasantly surprised at the feel of the place. The Inn at Thorn Hill is located on a side street with little traffic. It was very quiet, clean and nicely appointed.

We were escorted to our room (Stanford White), and found that it was larger than we expected for a country inn. The bathroom was very large with a built in tub, separate shower and double sink. The room was more than spacious and a pleasant surprise. Most importantly, the room was clean.

The Travelzoo deal included breakfast every morning and also one dinner. The food was as good as we found anywhere in the area (we ate at the Wentworth and the White Mountain Cider Company for dinner as well). It wasn't just average, it was good. And I must confess we are pretty picky when it comes to dining out. Our experience was a good one.

The ambiance was also excellent in that you could sit inside in a nice, comfortable and cozy dining room with elegant decor, or outside on the porch overlooking the silhouette of the mountains as the sun sets. The Inn staff gives the ladies blankets if they get too chilly - a very nice touch.

The common areas are very comfortable and well appointed with leather furniture, a fireplace, and a flat screen television. There is a small library and the Inn serves tea every afternoon which is also an excellent touch.

The spa is downstairs with a small sitting area and a small, one room gym to work out. Nothing special here but with so much to do outside in the area, we hardly noticed. We each enjoyed a massage, which was excellent as well.

Just another note, there were no children at the Inn when we stayed there so it was very quiet with mostly other couples or groups of couples. I suppose there is not much for the kids to do there even though there is a pool. But I just wanted to mention this in the review.

Overall, the place was very, very nice and comfortable. The staff was attentive and courteous and everything was well done in my opinion. I would recommend the Inn at Thorn HIll at double the price I paid on Travelzoo (which, incidentally was basically 1/2 off the regular price, with the meals).

I want to thank Klaus and the rest of the staff at the Inn for an extremely relaxing experience in the White Mountains. We are sure to return.

Visited August 2013

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is our 9th summer at Thornhill. We have vacationed in the White Mountains for the last 25 years and love the area. We also love Thornhill because it's in a beautiful setting, has friendly staff, and serves excellent food. We have stayed in the main inn, the Carriage House,and the cottages and would recommend all three depending on your preference. I personally love the relaxing atmosphere and have always retreated to Thornhill to relax before I return to my teaching profession . The new manager Klaus is very personable . We wish the new owners the best of luck and we plan on returning next summer.

Room Tip: The Carriage House is rustic, the cottages private,and the main inn luxurious.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksoninnkeeper, Front Office Manager at The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Victoria,

We love to see familiar faces and greatly appreciate you taking your time to share your tradition with us. We are glad you continue to chose The Inn at Thorn Hill to relax in the White Mountains and I hope we continue to exceed your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again next summer!

Warm Regards,

Meghan Breton & Klaus, Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in the main inn which has a number of pleasant and spacious rooms, each with it's own design and theme. The carriage house and cabins looked good but a different experience than what I wanted. Both dinner and breakfast on the veranda were a treat with a view of the White Mountains. You can see Mt. Washington in the distance on a clear day. The pool and hot tub are a bit of a walk from the main inn, so we didn't swim during our short stay. Best parts were the well designed rooms and delicious food. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank luckyducktravel

Thank you for taking the time to share your beautiful getaway with us! We are very glad you chose us to relax in the White Mountains.

We hope you visit us again to stay in one of our 25 unique luxurious rooms!

Meghan Breton
Front Desk Supervisor

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just finished a two night stay at the Inn and could not have had a more relaxing and invigorating time. Gunther, Klaus, and the entire staff made my stay the most enjoyable. The food was outstanding, the room, was great, and the scenic views all complimented each other perfectly. I would highly recommend this place for couples looking to get away from the grind. It would probably make a great retreat for a group of couples looking to enjoy themselves in a great setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jacksoninnkeeper, Front Office Manager at The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Philip,

Thank you for taking the time to share your relaxing getaway at the Inn! From check-in to checkout each staff member works diligently to ensure every guest request is met. We hope to see you back again for another amazing experience!

Meghan Breton & Hard Working Staff
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Wentworth
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club

Been to The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa? Share your experiences!