“A bit like staying at Jed Clampett's mansion ~ Jethro and Elly May were there too!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Snowflake Inn

Snowflake Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Jackson B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Snowflake Inn is in a terrific location right in the center of Jackson, NH. It was very quiet and peaceful... very nice to walk around town and to the falls. We loved having our 2nd floor window open day and night to let in fresh, cool air as we listened to the rumble of Wildcat River Falls only a few hundred yards away.

The Inn has a beautiful great room with a lovely stone fireplace and comfortable seating all around. The upstairs game area overlooks the great room and has a pool table, several bar-type chairs & tables and board games available for enjoyment. The indoor spa pool located near the front entrance is huge with several series of jets positioned in adjacent corners and a swimming jet in the center.

Our room consisted of a seating area and bedroom area separated by an elongated bathroom. The bedroom area was fairly spacious compared to most hotels/Inns. We loved the window seat and bay window and found it very nice having a large Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom as well as the fireplace. The bedroom area had no chair so I moved the chair, side tables, and floor lamp from the "seating area" (I'll get to that topic in a sec!) next to the fireplace in our bed area. It was very comfy cozy then!

The bathroom was very narrow and not configured well. Towel racks were located on the opposite end of the room away from the shower with only one hook positioned next to the shower itself. Very inconvenient. In addition, only one hand-towel holder was available next to the sink. Again, very inconvenient -- especially for two people.

Now, about the "seating area" -- this is a TOTAL waste of space as configured! It is completely isolated from the bedroom area by the tubular bathroom, has no windows, and is sparsely furnished with a small couch, chair, and floor lamp. It looks pretty much like the stark reception area in a doctor's office. Not the least bit welcoming... and again, a total waste of usable space. I would suggest making use of this area by adding a small refrigerator, small table/chairs, possibly a Foyer Table and lamp, and a maybe a large silk plant... THEN add a coffee maker and bottled water in each room! (they do not have coffee makers in the rooms and do not offer bottled water). This could be a nice comfortable seating area with a beverage service.

OK, I can ignore the wasted space... BUT, my greatest dissatisfaction about our room and the reason we will not stay here again (unless this item is corrected): THE TOWELS STINK! ...and I don't mean that they are not nice... I mean they STINK! REALLY STINK. SMELL BAD! PEW! BODY ODOR PEW!! Every towel -- the pool towels as well as every towel we received in our room during each day of our stay... STUNK! I would strongly suggest that the Inn start using BLEACH when washing towels (it is the only thing I know of that will remove body odor as well as kill germs). In addition, please provide guests with a couple of extra towels. We received only two sets of towels -- one for me, one for you. This is promoted as a romantic Inn and couples are encourage to enjoy a romantic time here... so... that usually means an extra CLEAN towel or two is a good thing to have around.

Another area that needs serious improvement is for the Innkeeper (and family) and staff to be aware of when they are "on stage" and they are "off stage". Every word spoken in the common areas -- lobby/check-in area, halls, and great room -- echoes throughout the Inn. So, when you are talking about personal Inn business whether on the phone or to someone else; we heard it! When you are using foul language: we heard it! When you are having personal conversations: we heard it! When you are yelling at your kids: we heard it! I would suggest keeping the door to the Innkeeper living quarters CLOSED and conducting Inn business and personal calls in an office located behind closed doors away from the common area (other than reservations, check-in and such).

The Innkeeper (Sue) was nice and somewhat friendly... but not in tune to the fact that these are paying guests staying here -- not cousins visiting from Florida. The Snowflake Inn has the potential to be an elegant, romantic, classy vacation destination ~ it just lacks that touch of class.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mark R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Yarmouth, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

We were able to reserve 1 night at the last minute despite their two night minimum. We arrived 45 minutes before the listed 3:00pm Check-in. I gave the young woman at the desk our name, and without saying hi or welcome, she looked at the clock and said "you're early". Instead of letting us proceed to our room which I confirmed was always ready, we sat in the lobby for 30 minutes until she was ready to let us in. Normally they bring you to the room and show you around, however, she said she had a cake in the oven and could not do that. This place was too stuffy and rigid for me to relax at. For $300 a night, a much better deal can be enjoyed elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank EnjoyLife09
rehoboth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

We recently stayed at the Inn and really loved it. It was so relaxing and I felt at home sitting by the fire in the great room every morning having coffee. Then there is the pool/spa that was wonderful. We would definately go back

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Ipswich,ma.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

My husband and I love the Jackson area to cross country ski and have stayed at most of the places near here. We want a quiet retreat for our mid week stays and were so happy with this inn. The inn keeper has done a wonderful job outfitting each room with everything you could need and all was of very good quality. I actually loved the sitting area to curl up with a book. Just the right amount of breakfast and always a nice treat in the afternoon.Will go back...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
pawtucket ri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

I recently read the reviews of my favorite inn. I was very dismayed with some of the reviews. I have been a avid B&B/inn traveler for 35yrs and the SnowFlake is one I repeat over & over. I have been there for a solo retreat,mother/daughter getaway,girlfriend getaway and romantic interlude all of which have been above and beyond. Sue,Gary & staff have made us feel take we were the only guest's at the inn. The snowflake is a multimillion dollar property with the perfect location and beautiful decorated .I'm going this weekend again & know I will not be disappointed. The massage in your room is the topping on the cake. If anyone knows of another inn where you can get all the amenities and massage in your room for less money please let me know. In my opinion this place gives you the most bang for your buck!! This inn has it all. Great staff,location and beautiful rooms

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2009

This was our fourth visit to The Snowflake in just two years - three times in the fall and once in February. This place is the epitome of relaxation and romance. The warm friendly welcome from Sue, Gary and the staff, even on our first visit makes you feel like you have arrived home. All the rooms are beautifully decorated with a cosy big gas log fire in the room, a giant king size bed, and a wonderful two person jacuzzi bath that really does easily fit two people! I also love a good shower, and this place has a big two headed shower with wonderful water flow and seats inside the shower cubicle - GREAT!
There is a marvellous spa pool that is like getting into a warm bath. You can swim around in it, or switch on the jets to give you a wonderful massage.
Breakfast is Continental - home made granola, fresh fruits, yoghurt, cakes, pastries, fruit juice and all the coffees and more than a dozen flavours of teas you can drink!
We always have the Candles & Petals as a special extra treat. They put nightlights and rose petals all around the room and bath, a dozen red roses and a bottle of Champagne on ice for when you come back to your room from eating out at any one of the fantastic places around here.
This place is slap bang in the middle of one of the most beautiful places we have ever been to - you even drive over a beautiful covered bridge to come into the village (it's called Honeymoon Bridge - even that's romantic!)
I know I'm raving about this place, but it is our very favourite place to stay and if we were limited to only one holiday per year, this is the place we would come to.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveAndJuneFromLB
Location
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

Clean, modern, but not exceptional. Not particularly romantic despite other reviews. Continental breakfast (coffee, juice, pastry and granola with yogurt) was high-quality.

Rooms are a standard modern hotel room with a gas fireplace in one corner and a very large jacuzzi tub. Other reviews describing the awkwardness of the in-room alcove were spot-on.

Proprietors will work you to maximize your spend during your stay, including first offering you the "Romance" package when you inquire about rates rather than a standard rack rate, and steering you to restaurants across the street on check-in.

Heat seemed to be turned off in early September, or never came on despite assurances to the contrary. Also, if you are attracted to the idea of marshmallows and smores, be advised that the hotel is no longer doing a campfire due to issues with the local fire marshall. Website advises to the contrary.

Rates are now 30% lower than they were when we stayed a few weeks ago and represent better value. I would stay here again if other places were unavailable, but this would not be a primary destination.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NotMyRealName2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Wentworth
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,287 reviews
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club

Been to Snowflake Inn? Share your experiences!