“Small Mountain - Family Heaven!”
Review of Black Mountain

Black Mountain
Ranked #8 of 18 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Black Mountain Ski Area offers affordable skiing and riding for all ages in beautiful Jackson, New Hapmshire. In the summer and fall months we offer scenic one hour horseback rides for ages eight and up, pony rides for the kids as well as all inclusive overnight adventures!
Pittsburgh, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Small Mountain - Family Heaven!”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

While this mountain is not the most extreme mountain out there is is perfect for families with skiers of all levels and our mountain of choice when traveling with my brother in laws family and their small children.

It is located only shortly from the center of Jackson. About five minutes. I highly suggest having a four wheel drive car or suv as Jackson gets a lot of snow! Black Mountain has the cheapest tickets of all the Mountains. And, you can often get them at discounted rates at the local hotels/inns.

One of the things we love in that Black Mountain doesn't get the crowds that the other mountains get. The lines are never long and while the lifts are old they are not too slow and you get to the top of the mountain pretty quickly. The lack of lines make up for the old lifts.

The food is not outrageously priced and is pretty good at the LostBo Pub. Our family always gets an order of the White Knuckle Nachos. They are awesome!

Overall my wife and I highly recommend Black Mountain for those with families or with different levels of skiers. When we come just with ourselves and not with the rest of the family we prefer Wildcat Mountain.

Visited January 2012

Louisville, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Best value skiing”
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Just got back from spending 3 weekdays skiing at Black Mountain......WOW what a great place. I nothing but praise for the place. No its not fancy or high tech, but the skiing is great and the price is the beat in the region.

The days we visited the slopes were almost empty. At most 30 people on the slopes at any one time. There were no lift lines and we seldom saw anyone on the trails we were on. The trails were well groomed with plenty of snow, while only one lift was open, you could get off at 2 points and all the trails were accessable from it.

We also had a few beers and snacks at the Lostbo pub in the lodge, nothing fancy but well prepared and the staff was very friendy.

A special thanks to The Black Mountain Ski Patrol, Jan, Tom, J.R, and Janice who helped to make my days there memorable.

4 Thank chaunur
Portland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Skiing”
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I spent this past week in beautiful Jackson NH. I went to Black Mountain and as always it was charming! I have been going there since I was a child and I am a life time fan.

They have been making snow every night this week and it was BEAUTIFUL!

The food was fantastic, I would recommend stopping in the Lostbo Pub for après ski!

Their staff is friendly and easy to deal with.

Hope this helps you decide where to go...

1 Thank 182skibunny
boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent Ski & Off Season Experience”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Black was the first place I skied and I have been going back every year. It is consistently the only mountain that is affordable for me and my friends. Hardly any lines for lift or food! We always have a great time and the trails and snow are sweet! Their staff is cool and clearly passionate about their winter sports!

This past summer I took my girlfriend for a trail ride at Black Mountain and it was a lot of fun to see the the mountain in summer. The views were amazing and the horses well mannered. The staff was knowledgeable clearly took good care of their animals and customers.

3 Thank gmonkie
NH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overnight Adventure”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I recently went on the overnight horse back riding adventure ...with three other women..from start to finish this was such a memorable experience for all of us. The guide Liz and her helper Doug were adorable and most pleasant for having to spend an overnight with "mothers" They did a great job on our meals. The horses were so well mannered and the cabin we stayed in was clean & neat. The views were beautiful and we will probably make this a yearly get-a-way!

3 Thank BeeNh