“Not worth $70 to ski here, go to Cannon or Bretton or Cranmore”
Review of Wildcat Mountain

Wildcat Mountain
Ranked #4 of 18 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Popular ski area in the northernmost reaches of New Hampshire.
Reviewed December 29, 2010

WILDCAT IS NOT WORTH $70!! I reluctantly bit the bullet and drove up to Wildcat to pay $70 for a lift ticket today, hoping that the recent snowfall would make it worth it. Instead, I was greeted with an ENORMOUS queue to buy lift tickets that snaked through the base lodge. I waited over 30 MINUTES just for the privilege of giving the mountain $70 to ski! The majority of the skiers on the VERY slow moving line were appalled at the unacceptable wait time and I watched several skiers actually leave rather than wait, which I was tempted to do as well. When I finally got to the ticket counter, the machine failed to print out my lift ticket, so I was delayed further until a manager could figure out how to reprint it. This was my 11th ski area in 11 days and it was the FIRST time I had to wait more than 2 minutes of valuable morning ski time to buy a ticket!! Wildcat only has one main lift and for some reason they delayed the opening until 10am!! Wind was not an issue today so I can only assume that the delay was another byproduct of the new mismanagement that had not gotten the chairs loaded on the quad in time for the 8:30 scheduled opening. Unacceptable! When the main lift FINALLY opened, the line was HUGE because every skier had to wait for an elderly man to manually scan their lift ticket with a gun and wait for approval to allow them on the lift. Meanwhile, chairs were going up the mountain EMPTY while skiers were forced to endure this terribly inefficient and frustrating new procedure. It makes me feel like I am not trusted as a customer and am suspected of using a counterfeit ticket. Again, unacceptable. There was almost no trace of the 28 inches of new snow claimed on the mountain’s website. Almost no “natural” trails opened and there were just a handful of available skiing options. Only about 1/3 of the mountain was open- about the same acreage of Cranmore ($59 lift ticket), and I was horrified to see that the mountain was NOT MAKING ANY SNOW!! This is considered a criminal offense at most eastern ski resorts who take advantage of every opportunity in December to make snow. After just 6 runs, we had skied everything available multiple times and decided to call it a day at 11:30am. Wildcat is NOT a $70 mountain. They have bare bones customer service, mismanaged skier services, minimal terrain with snowmaking, only one main lift, no on-mountain dining, disgusting base lodge bathrooms, and no new amenities offered to skiers this year to justify the increased price. Your money is better spent at Cannon ($63), Bretton Woods (100% open), or even Cranmore ($59). Needless to say I will not be going back for quite some time.

1  Thank AmazingTravelConcier
in 7 reviews
"challenging terrain"
"auto road"
in 2 reviews
"the staff was super friendly"
"warmer temps"
"b c"
"green runs"
"great ride"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 26, 2010

great ride to the top of the mountain- very scared to begin with but much better on the way down. The view was worth it!!!! I'm not a height person but I did it- and really saw something I've never experienced before- well worth it- it was in the summer - I bet the fall would be better.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

It costs $20.00 for one ride. The ride itself was cool, but I dont think it was worth $20.00 especially when you could go right down the road to Attitash and get a wrist band for multiple rides for $35 for all day. Also the zip was really about the only thing they had to offer so we got there early, took our ride and left for Attitash. I did hear that they kept selling out so make sure you get there by 9:30. The ride itself was cool! there are some you-tube clips that some one posted in case you want to see what its like before you go. Glad I did it, but not sure I would do it again because of the costs and it only lasts about a minute or two

1  Thank mommawantstogo
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Despite the best efforts of the staff at Wildcat Mountain, we had a generally enjoyable time over Memorial Day weekend. We were traveling with our labrador retriever, and we appreciated that the gondola ride to the top of the mountain was pet-friendly. The gondola ride itself was enjoyable. Although the person who sold us our ticket told us there were no hiking trails at the top, in fact, we found the Appalachian Trail right outside the gondola station, and had a lovely afternoon hiking a short part of the trail.

However, the next part of the visit was significantly less enjoyable. When we arrived, we had purchased a gondola+zipline ticket for one of us. We arrived in the mid-morning, and were told that the next available zipline ticket was at 3 pm. We had other items on our agenda for the day, and hadn't been planning to spend the whole day at Wildcat, but because I was excited about the zipline ticket, we made the purchase. We planned our day around arriving for the zipline at 3 pm. We arrived on time, and were told that, due to a problem with the zipline, there was a half-hour delay. We had a little flexibility, so we went off to another hike, which we rushed through so we could return by 3:30. When we came back, we waited longer, and were finally told that we could expect another 25-minute delay or so. There was no explanation provided for this further delay.

By this point the day was getting away from us, and we wanted to get in other sights before running out of daylight. Since we had relied on the 3 pm ticket time and planned our day around it, and were now being told that the earliest possible departure time would be 4 pm, we figured that there would be no issue getting our money back. (yes, there was a big sign that said "all sales final," but at the same time, our ticket said "3:00.")

No such luck. First, the manager insisted that the 3:00 tickets had already departed. We explained calmly that that simply was not the case, as we had just left the line after having been told that there was another 25 minute wait. Then the manager told us that all she could offer us was a voucher for another zipline trip, expiring at the end of the season. As we have no plans to be in the neighborhood again this season, the voucher was useless to us. Certainly, if we had simply changed our minds about the zipline, a voucher would be more than generous; but since it was the facility's delay, there was really no excuse to not give us our money back.

In addition to the facility's inability to run the zipline on schedule, there were other signs of poor organization as well, although these were comparatively minor. For example, I had to wait about 10 minutes to purchase chips and a drink, because of computer problems. This seemed not to be unusual, as no one really acknowledged the fact that I had ben waiting or apologized for it. And as mentioned above, the person who sold us tickets apparently was unaware of the major hiking trail that sat atop the summit of the mountain.

In sum: the grounds are lovely in the summer, but customer service is not the facility's strong suit.

1  Thank machead789
See more reviews
Reviewed May 7, 2010

This was our first ski resort we visited on our trip around the world, and for a small “unknown” hill this was actually pretty good. It is looked after quite well for a small operation. Some of the trails were superb and some were great for learners. This was my other halves first time on a mountain and she loved the Wild Kitten run, and I have to say for a new Boarder it was pretty ok. There are some very picturesque runs here and it is by far the best mountain in the local area. The price also was very good with a second day offer at half price… is definitely worth a look if you are in the area.
My only gripe was that some of the runs were classified as ungroomed, and there were rocks and tree routes showing - to me that isn't ungroomed but double Black Diamond or off piest!
We liked it so much we did 5 days in a row!