“Not worth the price- a dissapointment”

Wildcat Inn & Tavern
Ranked #8 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2010

When we arrived, an envelope with my misspelled name was sitting on the office window. (The office was empty). We had to go searching for someone to show us where our room was (above the public dining room, which we had to walk through to reach). No one offered to help us carry our heavy bags up a flight of steep and narrow stairs. Wireless internet is advertised, but the only signal we got was from the Snowflake B&B across the street. When I inquired about the internet service, the gum-chewing maitre d' was unable to answer me; he said they didn't even have cable tv (they did) and gave the impression that I was being stupid to ask. A nice location, but it's in need of some customer relations training.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hmixsell
There are newer reviews for Wildcat Inn & Tavern

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I recently went to Lady's Night and had a great time. The bar had lots of character and the bartender was very charming. The food was fresh and tastey. I look forward too many more nights at the Tavern. I think I will try Hoot Night this week. PS the bartender had a lot to do with creating a lovely environment and my girlfriends and I will definitely be coming regularly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I recently stayed at the Wildcat Inn with my fiance. The Inn Keeper was very helpful. She even helped me to set up a massage at the Christmas Farm Inn Spa. The tavern downstairs was very convenient for dinner and drinks. Love the location. Thank you for everything Kelly! Will definitely be back.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boarder882
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Didn't stay here so can't comment on the accomodation, but had dinner here one evening when they had live music and really liked it. I would describe the food as excellent quality pub food. That said, it didn't have any pretentions to anything else so no problem there. The staff were really helpfiul and attentive and this is clearly the place to be in (the admittedly very quiet) Jackson. A really good atmosphere for a Tuesday night. Impressed by the fact taht the owner came out and chetted to us when we were scouting the place out the previous evening, no hard sales, just said he looked forward to seeing us, and then greeted us again when we did go the following evening. Nice relaxed and friendly vibe.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raquelos
Reviewed August 27, 2009

My boyfriend and I went to the Wildcat Inn & Tavern for the first time and absolutely loved the atmosphere. Everyone that worked there was very friendly and made us feel very comfortable. The accommodations were very comfortable as well. The Tavern was a great place to hang out to watch the ball game and have a few drinks along with appetizers. I am actually booking our next trip there for October of this year since we had tried another Inn back in June, but my boyfriend really enjoyed this place much better so we're planning on coming back to the Wildcat Inn in October.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Starting with the good stuff. Great location, lovely little town. The Inn has a nice small garden to sit in and a very lively tavern (lots of locals) with open mic event on Tuesdays. The Tavern staff were very friendly and efficient and the place has a good selection of food and beers. We had a top floor suite which was on the whole very spacious and well designed. At checkout we were dealt with by a very nice lady. Overall quite good for the money.

Now the not so good stuff. On arrival the reception staff barely registered that we were there and made very little effort to help us to our room. The maitre d' was more interested in selling us a restaurant table than helping us get to our room. Two small negatives on the room were it's incedibly small bathroom - we had to step into the shower to get in around the door and it's television that was not pluged into the wall (otherwise a great a room). The next night when we did book a table in the restaurant we were very late being seated and a big fuss was made over the availability of staff to wait on us, despite booking the day before. After we had ordered there was unfortunately a power cut (to the whole town) due to a thunderstorm - not their fault, but they were inept in dealing with us afterwards. Clearly the kitchens could no longer cook food, but we and other guests were left uninformed and without even an offer of bread and water to tide us over. They were were more interested in how they would pull together peoples bills and if they could get off work early than in trying to look after their customers. We had to return to our blacked out room with no food. We asked for a flashlight to help us but were brushed off.

We've given a poor rating for service but this was due to only two of the staff - the other were great. Overall, if you can live with the possibility of poor service from some staff and staying in a lively tavern (there may be some noise until they close) then we'd thoroughly reccommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I have never written a Trip Advisor review before, but feel compelled to comment on this fine old New England inn, especially in light of one recent review, which struck me as lacking specifics and abundant in not -so-glowing generalities.

The horrific weather had finally cleared and we were looking forward to a short trip to the mountains during our July vacation. At the recommendation of friends we stayed at the Wildcat Inn & Tavern as they knew we love the Jackson / N. Conway area. We had never stayed at this inn before, but were drawn by the reasonable mid-week rate and the Wednesday two for one special for dinner. We called ahead as we were not going to make the 7 p.m. check in time. When we arrived, Stu and Rich had our room ready and were very accommodating It was busy in the main dining room due to the Wednesday dinner special (we did not make advance reservations for dinner). We were tired and quite hungry. Rather than have us wait for a table, we were asked if we didn't mind dining in the tavern. We certainly didn't mind --- it was the same meal no matter where we ate it. I had the NY sirloin and my husband had the lamb. Both were delicious. The steak was done perfectly. The meal was more than ample. I was also surprised to see that there were quite a few nice selections on the menu, as specials are usually quite limited.

Our room was immaculate. The bed was comfortable--the mattress was not worn, so there wasn't the problem of "rolling into a crevice" as is often experienced on beds in old inns. It was a queen bed on an old fashioned sleigh bed frame. There was a lamp on only one side of the bed, so we just moved one in from the sitting area. The rooms are appointed with a eclectic but comfortable mix of furniture. We were on the third floor on the street side of the motel. It was a pleasant evening so we left the windows open. Granted, it was mid-week, but there was still plenty of activity. There was some noise on the street with folks saying goodnight for the evening, but all was quiet after 11:00 p.m. It was summer, so I can't speak to the noisy radiator complaints of other bloggers. It clearly states on the web site that the rooms over the tavern are recommended for "late night revelers", so I avoided those when I made the reservations and the halls were quiet in our area of the inn.

The bathroom was very cramped in Room #9 (you had to step into the shower to close the door). I would say this is the only major complaint I had about the room. However, we looked into the other rooms on our floor the next morning as they were vacant and the bathrooms were a comfortable size, so our bathroom appeared to be the only one like that. A minor complaint was the mini TV/VCR player. Why bother??? The TV isn't cable ready and very few folks carry video cassettes to view on vacation. In fact I'm dismayed to learn that managment intends to put flat screen TVs in each room later in 2009. I think this really needs to be reconsidered. This is a nice old inn--the TVs will be easily heard from room to room. If I want a jacuzzi or a whirlpool tub, or a flat screen TV, I'll check into one of the more modern chain motels. I think blaring flat screens will ruin the quiet ambiance of this inn.

Everyone greeted us when we arrived, offered to help with our bags, greeted us when we left, even the gardener. There is a very nice garden area for outdoor dining. The parking at the back of the inn was adequate. A continental breakfast is set up at 7:00 a.m. If you desire a heartier breakfast, you can easily walk from the inn to Yesterday's Restaurant for breakfast. This is a pleasant town to walk around and explore. If you do, be sure to walk over to see the falls across from the town square.

The Wildcat is a fine little inn. It is comfortable, clean, and pleasant. It has reasonable rates and specials. It looks nice inside and is not "worn or run down" looking. We had plenty of hot water and the water pressure was fine. The food in the restaurant and tavern is quite good. I realize that we weren't there during prime ski season and there weren't a gazillion people checked in, which I am sure would make for some noise in an older inn. But at the same time, I've heard it is really a fun place to be in the winter.

We plan to return in the fall with friends and would recommend this inn for small families, older couples, or younger couples looking for a nice little get away. A single person would also feel very comfortable here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
Eagle Mountain House & Golf Club
Top Notch Inn
Top Notch Inn
#1 of 7 in Gorham

Been to Wildcat Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!