“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #5 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
eastern ct
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed September 8, 2008

After spending a week long vacation with the family, it was time for some "Mom & Dad" time for relaxing. As frequent visitors to the area, we have always said we needed to try the Christmas Farm Inn and this time we finally did.

We stayed in the Sugar House, considered the Honeymoon Suite and found it to be as rustic and charming as we expected based on the descriptions at the website. If you are a fan of the old and rustic with a sprikling of modern ammenities, stay in this converted old maple sugaring house! Private, rustically charming with a surprisingly huge modern bathroom with a huge jacuzzi tub for two.

We also took advantage of the MAP package. The dinners at the restaurant were first class. A decent sized wine list, accompanied the choices all of which were prepared fresh at the Inn by their chef. Over the course of the two evening meals, my wife and I tried four different entree's all of which were terrific, served in a leisurely pace.

The breakfasts included are buffet style and offered a good assortment and were fine, although I have had several others in the valley with a greater assortment.

We had a great time and are going back again during our anniversary in foliage season, this time we will be trying out the "Blitzen Room" in the main inn.

Stay Tuned!

• Liked — Atmosphere, restaurant, spa
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bobbydEasternCt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
Boston
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We've stayed here a couple of times.
The first time the cottage we stayed in smelled so horrific upon entering that I had to buy air fresheners and candles in order to cope. It was musty, moldy, old cellar smell. You could see water damage on the wall around the windows and door. The bed was HORRIBLE...hard and lop sided. The furnace was directly below the bedroom and each time it kicked on throughout the night it rumbled the entire room. I had complained about it to management but they didn't offer anything...I don't even think an apology. That said, the food was a sweet surprise and the spa was really nice.

The second time (yes, I went back) we stayed in the Carriage House which is new. Big difference...I was SO relieved not to be so disappointed again. Aside from hearing the people above us take hot tubs at all hours of the night and walk as though wearing cement shoes, we were very happy with the Carriage House. Again the food was good, with dinners being better than breakfasts. Dinners are an all night event as each time with all of the courses we were there for hours. Service in the restaurant was good. Spa was still good.

Had some issues with a Dave person at the main desk. The Inn is not very customer service oriented at all. They tended to tell all their financial problems whenever we spoke up about something. Their pricing is erratic so make sure you get a firm quote and use a card that will protect you should they change their rate on you.

I think this place either did at one time really offer something or perhaps is working towards getting there, but they are not there right now. Hope this helps.

• Liked — Carriage House, Dinners, the Spa, closeness to hiking, the views
  • Disliked — The Cottages musty smell, horrible bed, & complete lack of customer service at main desk
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank pemBoston
long island
Reviewed August 7, 2008

When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly and warm front desk manager. We were upgraded to the Blacksmith Cottage because we arrived early and our room was not ready. The cottage was spacious ( 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room with pullout bed w/fireplace) perfect for a family of 5. Dinner was great. It was clearly made to order and served with professionalism and it felt like home.

In the morning we were greeted by an always smiling staff and waitress. The Inn has it's own baker.
Overall the staff was always ultra attentive, the food was great and was a wonderful experience.

The weather on the other hand could have been better, but you can't blame the Inn for that.

• Liked — Staff and facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank brian1544
Centereach, NY
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Wasn't sure exactly what to expect. It was my first time vacationing north. From the minute I set foot into the main inn, it felt like I was a frequent vacationer there. The area is very intimate and romantic. The staff was very attentive. The room was exquisite. Every morning when we went to the restaurant for breakfast, we were greated with a warm welcome and excellent service. The Spa staff was very valuable after learning how to ski for the first time. I would recommend this vacation spot to any couple looking for a romantic getaway, a family looking for a great ski spot, or anyone just looking to get away from life for a while.

• Liked — Friendly and attentive guest relations
  • Disliked — Lunch was not served at the restaurant - wasn't a horrible thing since there were many other places to eat and lots of things to do
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shortnsmall35
beverly, ma
Reviewed June 25, 2008

While the lobby is area is quaint with Xmas decorations and free cookies and hot drinks, it is as small as are the rooms.
The rooms are quaintly decorated, however I felt as though I was in a VW bus. We stayed twice, booked through the internet for $111 a night, however each time we stayed we were charged $130 a night plus tax. When we asked about this, they told us it was an error. After two years of this error and denial, we decided there were so-o-o many other places to stay that were actually as nice and nicer, and cheaper! Loved the indoor pool and spa! However, unless you book expensive packages you are treated as a second class citizen!

• Liked — Clean indoor pool and workout area. It is remote, yet accessible in a pretty quaint setting.
  • Disliked — Inconsistant pricing on internet with actual inn charges, rooms are dated and very small.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Albany, NY
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I’ll leave others to tell you about the year-round holiday decorations, great food and easy access to 160 miles of cross country ski trails. What impressed me most during my recent three-night stay at the Christmas Farm Inn was the staff, so I’ll tell you a bit about them. Jim, who runs the front desk, turned out to be an excellent person to explain a legal dispute mentioned cryptically in the local paper, as well as various political and economic undercurrents in the tourist economy. Jason, a twenty-something from Maine who gave me a ride to the nearby Black Mountain ski resort (small but quite adequate for an intermediate/advanced intermediate skier like myself) impressed me with his plans to purchase his first home; I later learned his coworkers perceive him as a hard worker who has mastered almost every role there is in the hospitality business. (Incredibly, the young man has never had skis on his feet despite living in one of the best areas for both Nordic and alpine skiing.) And then there’s Dana and Cathy, the husband & wife team who took over as innkeepers in 2007. Dana sports a rather extraordinary mustache and has a demeanor that is so laid-back and chatty that you’d probably assume him to be another guest rather than the manager of a sprawling inn. I was part of a 52-person ski club that stayed at the Inn, and everyone I talked to was equally impressed with the amicability of Dana and his staff. I don’t think they were, in fact, elves. But you never know.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Stayed February 2008
new hampshire
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We just got back from a weekend at the Christmas Farm Inn...I had heard so much about it from my friends at work so I wanted to go there for my husband's 50th birthday.

We stayed in the Saltbox (room 21) which was a pretty room, but the bed was hard as a rock...for $179.00 you would think it would've been a nicer accomodation. But nonetheless, the dinner that night was fantastic and they have a nice complimentary breakfast buffet.

Nice fitness/indoor swimming room and the Cascade Spa is very nice, husband had a great massage there. I don't know if I would stay there again, tho...as honestly, the bed was really a disappointment and for a place with such rave reviews, this would have to change OR I would book a room in the newer carriage house. That being said, great service, friendly people, and the Inn is lovely. You should ask about bedding, I think it's very important!

Stayed February 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Snowflake Inn
Snowflake Inn
#2 of 11 in Jackson

Been to Christmas Farm Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!