“Museum nice for model enthusiasts but don't go into the shop!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Intervale
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Museum nice for model enthusiasts but don't go into the shop!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stopped here to kill some time before going to dinner. I have 2 boys ages 11 and 13 and it was me and my husband. We stepped into the hobby shop and should have walked right out. The woman greeted us - friendly at first but then came "Boys, I need to remind you look with your eyes and not your hands". This was as we stepped over the threshold. That turned me off completely but they wanted to look. To add to the "we hate kids" theme, there were dozens of signs with rude notes on them "You break, you buy", "If your child breaks it, you pay for it" "No this, no that" etc... Rude handmade signs in stores are a pet peeve of mine and let me tell you, this place was a jackpot for them. I understand that there are many breakable things in the store but how about letting us look around before you assume me and my children are going to touch and break anything? I am very careful of my kids touching things in stores that are breakable and do not feel it is the place of the store to speak to my children when they haven't done anything wrong. Obviously, this is what happens every day there from what the other reviewers have said. We did reluctantly go into the museum - and paid admission even though they were only open 45 more minutes. The man working in there was very pleasant and friendly and I did see a few signs but not to the extent of the shop. He didn't warn my children and didn't follow us around. I wouldn't personally visit again just because we aren't really into trains and such but it was interesting and the collection is astounding. Too bad the store ruined it for us but sounds like we weren't the only people offended by the store atmosphere. Shame on them.

Visited April 2014
8 Thank justlookin2buy

North Scituate, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Blown Away!!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I took my wife and my 3year old son to Hartman Train Museum on Feb 22 14. As my family and I entered the museum, we were greeted by the owner. The owner was very nice and respectful to my family. Mr Hartman advised us there were rules upon entering the museum. He gave us a brief run down. As I walked around the museum there so much to take in, never in my life have I ever seen a remarkable train museum like this one. Mr. Hartman has obviously taken great pride in collecting trains and restoring his precious gems. I understand why Mr. Hartman is so protective of his train collection. I've read some of the reviews on how he treated some families and there children, my experience was great. I have a 3yrold son who is very active, not at anytime did anyone from the staff or the owner himself come over and scold us. So if you spent a life time collecting antique cars or anything collectable, please stop and think about the time you spent,money,hours upon hours, traveling,etc. Would you want someone to just disrespect your prize possessions.????? There are alot of people out who don't care. So take a trip to Hartman Museum and I guarantee you will be Blown Away!!!!!!! You will never find another museum like this in New England.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Derek f
York, Pennsylvania
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Horrible Customer Service - Beyond Rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was in the store on 02/15/2014 to view their selection of N Gauge European trains and models. I attempted to look at several selections of freight cars at significant costs. The owner would not allow me to examine the product and just shook her head No when I was examining the packaging. Based on the age of the Noch, Faller, Vollmer, Arnold, Trix, etc.. products, they must make it a habit to piss off more than a few customers. I was never treated so rudely in a model train store. Try a mail order site instead. Or make the drive to NJ, Illinois, Florida or British Columbia.

Visited February 2014
6 Thank Minitrains
Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“I was told, "kids who don't listen don't belong in this world."”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

This place was beyond terrible and the staff were obnoxious and RUDE! We were in and out in 10 minutes and I'm more upset with the fact the kids (9, 6, and 5 yrs old) were subjected to cruel treatment.

There were five of us and immediately after saying the routine "hello" the kids were mildly scolded with, "don't touch anything." I let it pass, but gave the kids a friendly reminder to try and keep their hands to themselves as we were going to enter a so called "museum". A sign then was pointed out to the kids that was in numerical order and read, (1) You Look (2) You Buy, (3) Then Play. My gut instincts started to kick in that we should leave, but the 9 year old is really into trains and I didn't want him to miss out on what I thought would be a fun activity.

We paid the ridiculous entrance fee and went to the first train model. The train didn't even complete one lap before one of the employees approached one of the kids (6 year old) telling her to step back away from the train model so she won't be tempted to touch anything. I can tell she was scared. I told the gentlemen that if he had any concerns he is to approach me before speaking to one of the children. He became slightly defensive and told me he was just following policy. I scooted the kids along to another train model. Now, I really don't like this place, but we already paid the entrance fee and the behavior of the employees didn't seem to phase the kids much. This would be the second time I let something bothersome slide.

The 9 year old then finds a train model he thought was relatively cool and called over his younger siblings to show them. The girls who were observing the train model one table over ran over when all of a sudden the train stopped in its track. The red light indicating that the train was in motion stopped. They must have lost power, I thought. I go over to the employee to let him know when an old man comes from a back room and began scolding me that we were not following policy. What I previously thought was the loss of power by fault of an electrical error or failure to pay a bill, I realized was not. The old man had turned off the power!!! Already agitated from what had occurred shortly before this encounter, I turned to the kids and told them we were leaving. The older man told me that he wanted to share his trains, but we have to follow his policies. I told him and the employee who had been on us like a hawk that this place was not kid-friendly and they have no business dealing with families with children. I told him we didn't want any part of his trains and proceeded to leave, when he then all of a sudden told me, "kids who don't listen don't belong in this world." He lost his damn mind when he said that to me in front of the kids, and to keep it short, the city girl came out in me. I was mindful that the kids were present, but it was important for me to let this man know that he crossed a line.

It wasn't long before the kids stopped asking questions about what happened on the car ride home, but it pained me that some of those questions included, "why didn't they like us?", "what did we do wrong?", and "why did he say we don't belong?".

This place at best, is for adult train aficionados that don't mind moldy smells with awful lighting. Whatever this place is labeled appropriate for, for sure it is not safe for kids!!!!

Visited December 2013
11 Thank Yadira R
Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“I was told, "kids who don't listen don't belong in this world."”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013