“Perfect”

New England Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Intervale
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed January 28, 2006

We recently visited The New England Inn and were very impressed. The rooms were very nice with a jacuzzi tub and fireplace- perfect after a day of skiing. At night we went over to Tuckerman's, their restaurant and tavern, for dinner and the company. The food was excellent and the waitstaff very friendly. Todd, a partner in the inn, took several minutes to make sure we were enjoying ourselves and to point out the attractions in the area that we shouldn't miss.

We left planning our next trip back. I cannot say enough about this place- I highly recommend it for both the lodging and the friendly, helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2006

Reviewed January 9, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a trip to MA, NH and ME. We stayed at the New England Inn for two nights in NH and it was very nice. We were helped with our luggage, checking in was easy; Carol was very helpful telling us where to go and gave us coupons for the outlets and activities. Gary also asked us if he could assist several times. The room was neat and tidy, bed was comfortable and the water pressure was good.
The best feature of this place is the restaurant next door which adjoins the Inn. Tuckerman's offers anything you can think of to eat, and if you get the dinner as well as breakfast offering, you get several courses in your meal. This is quite a popular place, so make reservations if you don't have dinner included in your stay. Todd made sure we were seated exactly on time - no wait. All in all this is a fun place to stay; the managers bend over backwards to serve you. I would definitely return - although my husband and I are thinking of returning to the White Mountains permanently. The area is fabulous!!

Dollar, Scotland.
Reviewed October 18, 2005

My wife and I arrived in North Conway as part of a touring holiday in New England - without having booked overnight accomodation. The information centre sent us to the New England Inn after being told we were prepared to pay about $200 per night for accomodation.
We were first shown a room in the main hotel which was shabby and tired with a small and dirty bathroom, worn furniture a dirty carpet and a veteran television. We refused. We were then offered a semi detached white "cottage" which shared many of the above features but also smelled of dampness. We refused.
We were about to leave (we would rather have spent the night in the car) when we were offered a room in the relatively new lodge on the other side of the road. This lodge is in pine in the style of Austrian skii accomodation. It was smart, clean, pleasant, no smells - another world from the accomodation offerd in the main hotel. It was getting late and we were pleased to take this accomodation at about $250 per night. However we are sure we would never been offerd this accomodation had we had not first resolutely rejected the other dreadful rooms we were shown.
Still hopeful the following morning we set off for the inclusive breakfast. The restaurant was dark, overlooked skips in the backyard, had sticky plastic table cloths and a stale smell of cooking. Against my wife's better judgement I insisted we give the food a chance. What a mistake. Sevice was surly from two young ladies who clearly would rather have been somewhere else and the food was heavy and greasy. One bite was enough. After complaining to reception and telling them we would not be eating there the following morning we left to have breakfast in North Conway. On check out we were given a $20 breakfast reduction but still had to pay the service charge on the total bill.
In summary a place to avoid. We know the difference between quaint period accomodation and neglected decaying elegance - and quaint this aint !!

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We have three small children, with the youngest being just 1 year old. We wanted a place with 2 rooms, and without stairs. The New England Inn fit the bill, had decent reviews and 3 stars from AAA. We stayed in one of their white cottages. Decor was cozy country. Rooms were a decent size, and the two oldest children really enjoyed the trundle bed. The pillows were not too comfortable, but hotel pillows never seem to be! The bathroom was dirty. For $150 a night I don't expect to see mold/mildew in the caulking around the tub. We wouldn't even consider giving our children a bath in the tub. The 1 year old was not thrilled with a shower, but the goal was to get her clean, and a bath wouldn't have done that. One of the outlets in the bedroom did not work, and the television was outdated with a poor quality picture. The deck was a nice feature, but with the broken boards was somewhat dangerous for small children. The children did enjoy the pool, but it needed to be vacuumed quite badly.

The room rate did include breakfast, but the choices could have been a bit healthier. Options included eggs, french toast and pancakes (plain, blueberry or chocolate chip). It would have been nice to have muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, yogurt or cereal as options rather than all heavy and fattening choices.

The country setting is ideal, and with some attention to details (i.e. cleaning a bit better, fixing broken decks/outlets, etc.) and perhaps the addition of a play area with a swing set for the young children this could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 12, 2005

We enjoyed 4 nights in the New England Inn in Feb 2005 and really had a great stay. We stayed at one of the rooms in the main building. Our room had a fireplace which we used every night after returning from a full day of ski-ing. The breakfast was included in our rate and consisted of a pair of eggs, baked potatoes, bacon of sausage and french toast or pancakes. After a few days it might have been nice to have some fruit of some kind, but nonetheless it was ok. I read an other review that mentioned the smell of mildew in the rooms, and to be honest we also smelled an 'old' smell upon arriving in the room, but the second day either we didn't notice any more, or the smell was gone. Maybe the room hadn't been used in a while. What really set this Inn apart was the friendlyness of the people working there! Alway open for a chat and really helpful in answering questions (what ski area to go, where to find this or that etc..) Also we got to see one of the suites in the other building across the street and I must say that should I come here for a special occasion I would definitely book one of those. Great 2-room suites with a jaccuzi, a fireplace and 2 tv's. The ambiance of that whole building is different from the Main Inn, since it really is a big log house and is new (built just a few years ago). The prices are a bit higher, but I think it is worth the extra money. We saw it just before our last night, so we didn't move, but we might have if we saw it earlier.
To sum it up; the New England Inn is a friendly, nice place, just 10 minutes out of central North-Conway on a calm road. The staff is great and the rooms are ok. I would advice either the rooms in the log house, or the room we had in the Inn (no. 3)

• Stayed: February 2005
3  Thank Frank_M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 17, 2004

If your idea of a perfect New England vacation includes the smell of must and mold in your room, open canisters of a substance left out all over the room to attract the dampness, black mold around the bath tub and toilet, pubic hairs in your bathtub, floors you stick to, bedspreads that reeked like they had been sitting in a damp basement for years, and a tv that looked like it was circa 1950's.. This is the place for you! You are told that a free country breakfast every morning is included in the price, and charged for it when you check out, along with gratuities for the waitstaff for that said free breakfast, as well as for the maid service.(I had already left them gratuities) A $5 charge for the room key is also added to your bill. The staff was very combative when I approached them and asked them about these hidden charges and that I thought they were misleading people. A couple of people standing there who had overheard the conversation agreed. They kept insisting they had told me ahead of time about the extra charges, but I was not informed. Had I been informed, I would not have left gratuities, since it was presumptuous of the Inn to assume what I wanted to give. If you have stayed here before and had a wonderful time, I'm happy for you and perhaps this was just an isolated incident, however, it doesn't change my mind about ever returning.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sturbridge, MA
Reviewed August 13, 2004

I can't believe this place would get a bad review. We just booked our fourth weekend here. The Inn is a picture perfect New England scene. I've stayed in the Inn twice, the lodge once and this time we'll be staying in a cottage w/ jacuzzi and fireplace. We have always had a super clean room, great service, great food and a great time. The price is so reasonable for all that you get. Our last trip my husband proposed to me and we were given complimentary drinks and appetizers in the tavern, which was so thoughtful. We'll be visiting this time for our 2 year Anniversary and we can't wait to get back there. I wouldn't stay anyother place in the North Conway area!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intervale
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
North Conway Grand Hotel
#8 of 25 in North Conway
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park

Been to New England Inn? Share your experiences!