“Great place!...but an automatic 10% tip and bad bedding/pillows???”
Review of New England Inn

and 1 more site!
New England Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Intervale
Boston
“Great place!...but an automatic 10% tip and bad bedding/pillows???”
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My wife and I stayed for one night in the Lodge building (looks like a large log home) across the street (16A) from the main inn. We stayed in the "Deer Room" which is a 650 SF +/- room. The room was newer with a nice bathroom, living room, jacuzzi and gas fire place. The room has a very nice feel to it with knotty pine walls through out. The TV need to be upgraded to a flat screen and the bedding was not comfortable especially the pillows. The pillows were flat and uncomfortable. The jacuzzi, gas fire place and mini fridge are very nice amenities. The included breakfast was good and came out quickly. Personally I think this is a wonderful property overall but for $199 a night (which included breakfast) plus NH tax and the automatic 10% gratuity our bill was $230. The 10% automatic gratuity is crazy...hopefully the new owner (property was sold in April 2008) will do away with the 10% gratuity - I found the 10% annoying. The property has a nice indoor pool and onsite restaurant called Tuckerman’s. Tuckerman’s is a great looking restaurant/bar with good beers/drinks and good appetizers. Personally the entrées at the restaurant are not good unless you stick to burgers, soup or pizza. I would go back but the new owner needs to get rid of the 10% gratuity and put new bedding in the room(s) especially pillows...or charge $145/night... I would recommend staying at the New England Inn as soon as they get new pillows and get rid of the 10% automatic gratuity…

• Liked — The look and feel of the room...
  • Disliked — TV and Bedding (especially the pillows) need to be replaced and the automatic 10% tip is stupid...
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BostonVisitor77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
UK
Reviewed September 25, 2008

we stayed here as part of our 25th anniversary we are so glad we chose this place. we had a log cabin which was fantastic the jacuzzi was great and spotless , as was the whole cabin. it was great to stay in such a different type of accomadation. The breakfasts were always served very hot and everything was cooked for you to order.

• Liked — romantic cabins
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bazandkazm
Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed at the Lodge (only for couples) and we were more than impressed! The rooms at the lodge do not have #'s but go by names.... we stayed upstairs (only 2 levels) in the room called "Moose Crossing" it was a suite with jacuzzi and fireplace (although it was summer so we did not use the fireplace). The suite was soooo spacious! You walked into living room with sofa and stone fireplace with TV and desk and chair and mini fridge with bar sink and coffee maker...and in corner of this room --near the entrance to the bathroom was the corner 2 person jacuzzi (but you can only use the jacuzzi til' I believe 10pm it stated on the notice on the wall --so as not to disturb the other guests). The bedroom was massive with 2 dressers and TV and door off bedroom led to balcony that you shared with 2 other rooms on that floor (but still quiet and nice).

We ate lunch at Tuckerman's (pub/restaurant--across the street from the Lodge---affiliated with the New England Inn) and were happy with the BBQ chicken pizza and beer (over 20 brews on tap). We also enjoyed the breakfast included with lodging...(although some other reviews spoke negatively about it --so I was worried upon going but our experience was positive). Breakfast included choice of juice with tea/coffee and fruit cup (small ramekin dish with few grapes, slice of strawberry and slice of orange). We had 2 eggs with toast and choice of sausage, or crispy bacon, and the next morning we had the chocolate chip pancakes with bacon (they were very yummy).

The only negative thing about The New England Inn & Lodge is the part whereby they automatically tack on the gratuities (this really left a foul taste with us) as we feel that gratuities (we always tip either 10% for fair service or 15-20% for exceptional service) are something that is left behind for the person doing the service.....so when the Inn bills you automatically 10% for each evening you stay (approx. $19-20/per evening) they don't have to provide great service and who's to say you would tip lets say $10 each day to maid service and $10 to server for breakfast (the approx total for breakfast was $17-18 so a $10 tip is a little outrageous)....AND our next question is who gets this $20 daily gratuity?? The owners of the inn or the employees??? We would love to stay again at the Lodge because it was so relaxing and comfortable but as for the additional charges (which we were informed upon booking) I'm not sure if we will stay again?

• Liked — spacious and relaxing
  • Disliked — no iron/ironing board, no wine opener
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sandwich, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Wanted 1 night in a rustic + romantic setting and this place fit the bill nicely! After hiking all day in the white mountains, you want someplace cosy, comfortable and quiet. Add the Hot Tub in the room and you can soothe those tired muscles and have a little romance too!!!!!!! Not certain how old the red cottages are, but they appear to have been recently gutted and completely refurbished. Very nicely done with Hot tub for 2, gas log fireplace, queen bed. You'll sink into the loveseat, (I don't think it's planned, I think it shot). Thank goodness the mattress was nice an firm!)I'm a big fan of the tongue and grooved natural pine of the cabin walls, gives it a nice warm feel. Bathroom was same with roomy step-in shower stall with room for two! Lighting in the room could have been brighter. Front porch with 2 plastic chairs, (Adirondacks would have been a nice touch!), was a great place to sit out on with a drink before dinner and before the skeeters showed up. The grounds of the property (especially the flower garden) were a very pleasant touch too. Chatted it up for a while with the ladies who were taking care of the flower beds. Nice, friendly people. Pooches were cute.
Didn't care much for the 10% gratuity charge that was added to the bill. This is totally inappropriate!!!!!!!! I was made aware of it when I checked them out on the web and when I called and made the reservation, but I still don't like it. If it's because of Europeans who come here and don't tip, I understand it, but I really think it's a cheap shot at a 10% price increase on the room. If it's to cover the "Free Breakfast" look for my review of "Tuckerman's Restaurant", they can keep their free breakfast for all I care. I also think this 10% gratuity is doing a dis-service to the wait-staff in the restaurant, since they probably lose out by people thinking that they don't have to tip anyone in the restaurant. Amost everyone there all seemed to lack any motivation. I have a sister who has always made her living waiting tables and bartending and I know how to tip and what to look for. I'm a softy and tipped even after receiving poor service because I felt bad for these girls.

Stayed August 2008
3 Thank Fool_for_travel
milton, ma
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My husband and I booked two nights here for our first anniversary. We stayed in one of the cabins across the street from the main inn. The cabin itself was quite nice. It was roomy and modern, with a great bathroom, stand up shower, and a room mini-fridge and sink. The only things in the room we were disappointed with were the bedding (pathetically cheap and old, sheets were actually scratchy) and the tv (too small/old and placed so high it was uncomfortable to watch). The front porch was great with two comfortable rockers to sit in.

The first night we had dinner at Tuckerman's, the restaurant on site. The soups were great but the entrees were pretty bad. I got the meatloaf which was ok but the "twice baked" potatoes were too dry to even attempt to eat. My husband also had the potatoes and the pot roast with cranberry demiglace - ugh!! I have never in my whole life tasted food so dry!! My husband didn't even eat it. The waitress was visibly shocked to come back and pick up a practically full plate, yet she didn't even ask how it was.

We didn't get up in time for breakfast, and we neglected to use the maid service, which is our policy when we are staying consecutive nights -- saves water to not have the sheets or towels changed unless necessary. We also skipped Tuckerman's and instead ate in town.

The next morning, breakfast was not good. My husband had the eggs which he said were ok, but I had the pancakes which upset my stomach for two hours afterwards, and I didn't even eat but half of it.

But it was upon checkout that we were truly upset. We were quoted a package price of $399 - two nights, breakfast, dinner one night, and a bottle of champagne (Taylor - cheap but whatever). When I checked out, I knew there would be taxes but I was shocked to find our total to be $471.00!! Turns out, as others have mentioned here, we were charged $40 ($20/night) in "gratuities," which we had left for the waitstaff on our own, and didn't even use the maid service. I found this hidden fee to be ridiculous, and told the woman behind the counter that it was unfair that we were not told about it. She insisted that she had sent me a confirmation email detailing the fees, but this was absolutely not true... if she had sent me a confirmation email, I definitely would have printed it out and brought it with us, just in case. She would not budge and I left angry and feeling ripped off. My husband and I live on a very limited budget and we do not take $40 lightly.

If hidden fees are going to be the way of the New England Inn, than I absolutely will not go back and could not recommend this place to anyone -- no matter what the rooms are like. *I* want to decide how to spend my money, I don't need them telling me how much to tip and then secretly charging my card for that amount. Unethical.

• Liked — the log cabin
  • Disliked — the extra fees!!!!! the breakfast, tuckerman's
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shamity
new york, ny
Reviewed March 24, 2008

My girlfriend and I took a daytrip to North Conway from Portsmouth, NH over Easter weekend. We were originally going to do some outlet shopping, maybe get a 1/2 day of skiing in and enjoy the mountains. We somehow managed to pass the New England Inn on 16A and my girlfriend said 'WAIT, look at THAT!' which was the new lodge across the street from the inn. We had talked about renting a log cabin in Lake Placid, NY, but the prices are nuts (some are over $500 a night). We decided to be spontaneous and inquire about a room. They had a vacancy in the lodge portion of the hotel with a hot tub in the living room and a fire place. Mind you, we didn't have any luggage or even a toothbrush since it was only a day trip. This made it more fun! (plus, there is a rite-aid up the street so we made a stop to get toothbrushes, soap, hairbrush, etc.). Not to mention the outlets that were having amazing sales! (easy to buy a pair of long johns and clothes for the next day!). The suite we had was beautiful and rustic...the log beams, vaulted ceilings and the view from the room looked like a postcard. After a few hours of tubing at the nearby Cranmore Ski Resort, we were happy to use the hot tub. Only problem was that only 2 of the 8 jets worked. For the price, it would have been nice to have it working in full capacity. The room was clean although I thought the comforter smelled like perfume (not washed after the last guest?!?). We went over to Tuckerman's and had a beer at the bar while waiting for take out. It was packed and seemed like a fun/friendly crowd. We took our food across the street to enjoy it in front of our own private fireplace. The shepherd's pie was GREAT! and big enough for 2 of us to split!! We didn't even get to eat the caesar salad (also huge) that we ordered. Breakfast was ok the next day....not great. It's in a dining room at the main inn, not in Tuckerman's. I didn't mind the 'local attitude' of the waitresses. It was Easter morning and I know they wanted to get home. The food came out right away. Typical diner food, but we weren't expecting much. The location is so close to everything too...We were so happy to find this wonderful place and plan on going back during the fall and definitely in the winter to get a few days of skiing in. I think we'll get a log cabin or stay in the lodge again. All in all, it was a fantastic, spontaneous trip which made it even more special.

• Liked — the rustic, cozy room with fireplace and view! close to everything, Tuckerman's restaurant
  • Disliked — breakfast, broken hot tub, added gratuity
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We stayed in the "lodge" which is newly built and completely different than the original inn. The lodge is straight out of the west with all log construction and river rock fireplaces. The rooms are huge. Bedroom, living room with jacuzzi, large bath, balcony and gas fireplace. Really impressive. Breakfast was included and was good. The staff we're helpful and friendly. We would go again.

• Liked — The all log construction with exposed beams. Beautiful.
  • Disliked — The ice machine was accross the street.
  • Stayed February 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Intervale
The Wentworth
Lodge at Jackson Village
Bartlett Inn
Bartlett Inn
#1 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to New England Inn? Share your experiences!