“If you want to learn to fly fish -- go to Northeast Fly Fishing School!!”

Northeast Fly Fishing School
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Hollis
More attraction details
Owner description: In the Northeast Fly Fishing School you will not only learn how to fly cast, but where and when to cast. You will learn how to identify what trout eat, how to select flies that match trout food and how to present the fly in a natural way on a trout stream, not just a casting pond. We teach you how to "read the water" and learn where trout hold in a stream, how to approach them and how to cast to where they will eat your fly. In the classroom, at the casting pond and on a local stream - you will get personal fly fishing instruction and not be in a large class. We give you personal attention that quickly lets you be effective. Don't be "short-changed" by schools that are only a few hours or a day-long. You receive a full day of classroom and casting instruction AND a half-day on-the-river fishing instruction. Your instructors are licensed, insured fly fishing guides with years of experience. In addition to the fly fishing school, they are available for personal guided fly fishing trips in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Reading, Massachusetts
“If you want to learn to fly fish -- go to Northeast Fly Fishing School!!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Jim and Gerry run an excellent fly fishing school that I would highly recommend to anyone!! The whole operation is organized, professional and thoughtful.

I had been wanting to learn how to fly fish for quite sometime, but an L.L. Bean or Orvis trip seemed a bit contrived and high-pressure. I found Northeast Fly Fishing School from a simple Google search. I watched Gerry's YouTube videos of their previous classes, and could tell they would be a good fit for a beginner.

As a woman, I was nervous that I would be an outsider in the class, but Jim and Gerry made my friend and I feel welcome. They are extremely patient and effective instructors -- whether in the classroom or on the river.

The classroom portion on day 1 gives you a solid knowledge base about the sport, equipment, flies, and knot-tying. The afternoon of day 1 you learn how to cast in small groups with plenty of time for individual instruction. Day 2 is the best! Jim and Gerry have all the gear ready, and you head out to the river to try the casting techniques you learned the previous day... and hopefully get a strike!

This was an excellent experience from start to finish. As a matter of fact, my friend and I are planning to go on another fly fishing adventure in the Spring with Jim and Gerry as guides!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Worth your time and money!”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I purchased a gift certificate from Jim and Gerry for my boyfriend so he could take their introductory fly-fishing class. The transaction was a delight from start to finish. Jim and Gerry run a professional show, respond promptly to emails, and are all-around nice guys to boot. My boyfriend had a blast in their two-day class and felt like he really got personal instruction, even though he wasn't the only one in the class. I got to accompany him to the river on the second day of instruction, so I could see firsthand how much Gerry and Jim care about their students. They really take the time to work with each student, making sure they get enough of the basics that they can go off on their own and fly fish. My boyfriend had such a great experience with Jim and Gerry that he hired them for a guided fly-fishing expedition with his dad. Needless to say, it was a wonderful experience. I can say without a doubt that the time and money you invest with Jim and Gerry will be repaid many times over. I highly recommend their class and their guided fishing expeditions. So glad to have met them both!

Newton, Massachusetts
“Excellent Fly Fishing School”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have fished for almost 50 years, but had never fly fished, so I came into this course as a true beginner. I loved the structure of the course. The first morning was "classroom" instruction that included entomology, gear, knot-tying, and some fly fishing "theory". The afternoon of the first day was learning how to do basic fly casting on a pond - forward cast and roll cast. Jim and Gerry spent time with each of the students and worked with them until they got it.

The second day was spent on the river fly fishing - putting the knowledge gained in the previous day to use. Again, Gerry and Jim spent considerable time with each student - pointing out what to look for, in terms of how to "read the water", and how to fish dry flies vs. nymphs vs. streamers.

I felt fully ready to fish after the half day on the river. As everyone knows, there are other fly fishing schools out there, but from what I've found they are way more expensive. And more importantly, I'm not sure you get the same individual instruction from the other schools.

I will definitely sign up for the intermediate course when I'm ready, and also plan to hire Gerry or Jim for a guided trip sometime next spring/summer.

Visited May 2013
Chester, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“great guides and mentors”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Several years ago I had the good fortune to find my way to the Northeast Fly Fishing School. I have taken several of their classes and have been guided by them on the Androscoggin and Connecticut Rivers. They are extremely knowledgeable, attentive, and fun to fish with. They are also very safety conscious which I appreciate more and more the older I get. I owe a lot of my current skill in fly fishing to their patient teaching and coaching. I still hear their sage advice when out on the stream: "I little more upstream-just let it float along that seam". I highly recommend being guided by them or taking one of their classes.

Peter

Visited June 2013
2 Thank peter f
Boston, Massachusetts
“Loads of fun and informative”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I had a lot of fun learning to fly fish with Jim and Gerry! Both are great instructors, and have shared their wealth of knowledge through the beginner's class. The class was very informative - covering all the basics from equipment, knots, flies/fish food, water conditions, and it puts everything together out on the water.

While out on the water, the instruction continues. Jim and Gerry were identifying the bugs flying around, as well as turning over rocks showing food sources living under water. Both Jim and Gerry provide a lot of individual attention and encouragement on proper casting technique, presentation, where to cast to find fish, etc. More importantly, they made the whole experience fun and informative, where my wife and I are looking forward to an Androscoggin River outing with Jim/Gerry, when these trips become available in the coming season.