“Old New England Charm”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Holderness
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Old New England Charm”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights in July and it was hot, but the fan and the open windows made it bearable. We were in Room 19 which has a great view. Love the screened porch. Yes, the property is old, but it is super clean and the sheets and towels were as soft as top hotels. Love the family atmosphere and friendly service. Coffee and morning treats and fruit was perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids. The fridge in the room is a larger size which was great to store our drinks. They offer a jar of water that they add fruit to at the office and often have left over treats set out. We stayed at the chain hotel off the exit the first trip to the area. Boulders is much better for us. The lakefront beach was awesome. There are plenty of chairs, hammocks, and swings to choose your special spot. There are grills and a fire pit aand you can borrow kayaks and canoes too. We will stay here again next summer for our annual trip to the area.

2 Thank Brooke K
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review . You took away from the property, the exact experience we try to share with each and every guest. Thank you for enjoying all of the little details put forth on guests' behalf. Your review solidifies why we continue to operate as Squam Lakes only direct lakefront motel, to share the beauty and charm of Squam Lake with the public. In a society of franchise hotels and gimme the best of everything mentality, it is not an easy task to find those that can still appreciate simplicity..... we believe we have a gem of a property here and are happy when new guests fall in love. Thank you! Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Tiny room..stayed in #13. Furnishings were old metal tables and metal bureau. Holes in screens letting mosquitos in the room. Every time the room next to us shut their bathroom door or even their bureau drawers we heard it loud and clear. Screaming kids walking past our room at 7am waking us up and to top it off there is NO water pressure in the very small stand up shower.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank casualtravels1
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I am sorry our property wasn't a good fit for you. You were here during a very family friendly week. When you asked to only spend the one night, I was contacted and management was authorized to refund your money for the remaining night as we had a waiting list for rooms, you left the property before she could deliver the answer. We checked several times for your returning but you chose to come in after 11pm so we were unable to meet your request. The water pressure was checked and found to be normal, maybe you are used to a city fed system but our well fed pressure has been adequate for guests all season, I am sorry it wasn't suitable to your taste. I appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts & feelings.
Danvers
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have been to this motel many times in the distant past and have felt the magic there. However, this time around I must say I was sadly disappointed. The room we stayed in "The Squam Sweet" has gone sour. The actual space was sufficient, but overall it was unclean. On our first night there we couldn't talk lest we got a mouthful of "sewer flies," tiny brown flies that don't bite but seem to be drawn to moisture - and this was inside of the room, not outside. I found that they were coming up from the bathroom sink and shower drain.

I also did not appreciate that the porch was under construction and very unsafe for anyone, adults and children, to be on it or even have access to it. When I had made the reservations I was told that the porch needed a screen and may not be ready, but I was hopeful that it only takes what, an hour or two, to install screening on a porch. I had no idea it was under construction, it not only needed screens, it needed to be constructed fully. What a liability issue (very dangerous).

I really wanted to stay in one of the advertised "Deluxe Queen Rooms," Units 11, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20. When we arrived, I asked to see one of them and the person at the office didn't know what I was talking about. Okay, maybe I was dreaming all this up even though I saw it on the website. So I asked the person who cleans the rooms the following day if any Deluxe Queen rooms were available. She didn't know what I was talking about. Okay.

So now I got on my laptop and went to the Boulders' website and sure enough the above-mentioned units are advertised as "Deluxe Queen Rooms," with photos and description. Maybe it's me and I mistunderstood the website.

I couldn't sleep at night because of the uncomfortable bed, and the flies, which made me very itchy, not from being bitten but just the thought of these insects sharing my space with me. The owner of this property was not there on any of the days we were there.

It got so bad, me and my family left a day early. We just wanted to be home and to sleep in our own beds. As I was checking out, the employee at the office was the nicest thing about the motel. I am sorry I didn't get her name, but she was very nice and very concerned.

Needless to say, we will not be visiting The Boulders any time soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank LoisO107
I am truly saddened by this review. The outside deck being screened in was definitely explained and per our phone conversation, acceptable, as it was an improvement project. The guests that left the unit that morning loved dining on it during their stay. As do the folks staying this week love being out there. Unfortunately for last minute reservations, unit selection is limited and renting this unit with porch in progress, was the only choice. While on the property, you were asking for a deluxe queen SUITE which we do not have, that is why no one knew what was being asked of them. We offer suites, cottages & motel rooms however, we have NO queen suites. Being that you were in a suite unit, with a kitchen, livingroom & separate bedroom, no one could imagine you wanted to move to a motel room and give up the space you had therefore they didn't think to offer you a look at the deluxe queen motel room when you were asking for a Suite. The "sewer flies" you report, were unseen by staff members, myself, nor by the current guests. If an issue is brought to the attention of staff, we see to it the issue is addressed promptly - when we find no issue, it is difficult to address. After I was notified of your early departure, I called to discuss your issues. When I told you the Queen Suite was what you were asking for and we don't have queen suites, you said - "That's right, I did" When asked about the bed - you said "the bed wasn't comfortable, but then again, I have a bad back and I didn't sink into it or anything it just wasn't right for me." I wish that's how your review was written. At the end of our conversation you said, "Oh, too bad, I already posted my review, I feel bad - but it's okay, you have alot of good reviews so it'll be fine." It may be fine in time. But a bad review is a bad review, when we strive to meet all guests expectations, and have as much pride in what we offer to our guests, it's taken hard by myself and my staff. Thank you for your time, we all wish you the very best.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my mom & sister in one of their motel rooms (2 queen beds). Nice experience. If you are hoping for a big hotel 5 star experience, this place isn't for you. If you are like me and want to be lakefront on Squam (this is actually on Little Squam but connects to big Squam - and Little Squam, 2 miles long, is sizable) and have that summer lodge experience then this is for you. Decent sized rooms, clean, a cute screened in area that overlooks the lake. Continental breakfast was good (nice assortment of fruit and muffins). Kayaks available (no extra cost). Sandy swimming beach with swim platform. Nice campy atmosphere - this place blends in nice with the lake, lots of trees. Seemed like a great family place - and we met a couple families who come for a week and have been doing so for a while. My mom and I did the Loon tour (Fridays and Mondays only) on Big Squam and that was a good experience. If you can find/make a friend with a boat, we highly recommend the church service on Chocorua Island (very unique experience, they have a pump organ in a shed, pews in the woods, and the church service itself was very very good). Will return!

2 Thank Martha M
Thank you for taking the time to help folks understand the charm of our property.. I believe you can't please everyone, all of the time, but we continue we try! I truly value your honest review. Thank you! See you next year.
York, Maine
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Once again our week at the Boulders was wonderful. Sitting at the beautiful beach watching my children swim with good friends they have caught up with once a year since they were small, is the best feeling. The crystal clear water and pristine conditions at Squam can't be beat. The Boulders has everything you could need. Clean and stocked efficiency rooms. Picnic tables on the water for cookouts, fishing off docks , canoes and kayaks always ready for use. Lounge chairs on the beach with the choice of shade or sun waiting for lazy afternoon with a book. Thinking about how everyone will gather around the fire pit at night , the kids running around laughing and having fun. Knowing you have all the comforts of home back at the rooms for a comfortable nights sleep. Then you wake up and head out to the great porch, that faces the lake and wait to hear the call or catch a glimpse of a loon. Thanks to the Boulder staff who are always ready to help with any needs you may have. We count the weeks until we return again to the Boulders. The room is already reserved for next year. We can't wait.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle for great view!
1 Thank beachgirlybm
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
To hear our repeat guests talk of the property so fondly is reassurance we are making the right decision to continue operating as a motel property. There has been alot of talk that we should cash in and go condo. We are holding out for guests like you, the ones that appreciate the charm of the lake and the rusticity of our units, the flash back to a time you thought was gone. You can find lakefront charm here at the Boulders. Thank you for taking the time to review us & for making memories with us. Take care!
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We occupied almost all of the property for my daughters wedding guests for 3 days in June. Every one of our guests were thrilled with the accommodations. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The beach is perfect and we were thrilled we could dock our boat there. The staff is so friendly and helpful. They even have delicious coffee, muffins and fresh fruit available early in the morning. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone, especially if you are having a family reunion or wedding and want everyone to be together in a great spot! Thanks Lisa and the Boulders family for a great time!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Judith D
Thank you for your kind words! Your group was great and all of your hard work organizing paid off. We'll hope to see you for the Anniversary celebrations! Take care.
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place is totally awesome. We were here for 2days but felt that we should have stayed longer. The cottage was extremely clean and a vacuum cleaner was provided too. There were stand fans in both our rooms. All kitchen equipment was clean. There were many towels for cleaning purpose, that made things very easy to manage. The staff is extremely helpful and provided coal for bbq for just $3. They have kayaks which the guests can use complimentary indefinitely. We had a great time here. Very beautiful location. Definitely worth the stay. No disturbance from anywhere!

Room Tip: Stay longer! :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BouldersMotel2012, Owner at Boulders Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we strive to make all who visit feel welcomed and eager to return. We hope when you are in the area, you will pop in to say hello. Safe travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Pilgrim Inn and Cottages
#2 of 3 in Holderness
Inn on Golden Pond
Inn on Golden Pond
#1 of 3 in Holderness

Been to Boulders Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!