“Welcoming and comfortable”

Squam Lake Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Holderness B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Squam Room the nights of July15-18, 2013. It features a pleasant sitting area looking out the front window as well as a fireplace. The staff was gracious and willing to accommodate. Since we had to leave very early the morning of our final day and would miss breakfast, Diane, the chef, stopped en route to work and picked up a couple of blueberry muffins for us to eat on the road. Maddy greeted us upon arrival, looked after us during our stay, and made sure we had orange juice to go along with the muffins. There is plenty of space to enjoy the inn’s many amenities, from the downstairs living room to a community room cum library on the second floor. The restaurant is arguably the best in the neighborhood, and accommodates patrons in the dining room, bar, and patio. Daily breakfast is both a surprise and a special treat. The menu is imaginative as well as wide ranging; service is prompt and friendly. Squam Lake Inn is a delightful and comfortable base from which to explore the lakes and mountain region .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I recently stayed three nights at the Squam Lake Inn, a very well-run nine-room B&B in a nicely renovated farmhouse, conveniently located to Big and Little Squam Lakes. The innkeepers, Cindy and Rae, also operate a small restaurant and a gift shop on the same property, as well as a nearby market. A handful of other restaurants, shops, and marinas in Holderness are within walking distance.

The guest rooms are charmingly decorated and extremely clean, with private baths. Staff are VERY friendly and service-oriented; some have worked there for five years or more.

The kitchen is really good. Front-of-house can be a little bit slow when the restaurant is busy (everybody on staff wears multiple hats), but the overall atmosphere is laid-back and accommodating.

Squam Lake Inn is slightly more expensive but much nicer than some of the nearby motels. It's not a waterfront property, but it makes a great base of operations for exploring Squam and the Lakes region, or (as in my case) chilling for a few nights when your nearby vacation cottage is overflowing with visiting family members. I look forward to another stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Benjamin W
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We just got back from several nights at the Squam Lake Inn. It was a wonderful experience. As soon as you drive up and see the lovely gardens, the outdoor cafe and the many comfortable porches, the stress just melts away. The innkeepers have found the perfect balance between friendliness and giving you space to relax and enjoy some quiet time. The restaurant is fairly lively on weekend nights, but the crowd leaves early, and you can enjoy a glass of wine on the porch and just stroll up to your room. Everything was very clean and comfortable. The linens, bedding, soaps, etc. were first rate. And the location was perfect for enjoying the entire Lakes region. We will definitely be back! Thank you to everyone at the Inn!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FromNH
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Squam Lake Inn for 3 nights in May before the season got busy. We were impressed by the hospitality, cleanliness and overall charm of the inn. Every detail is attended to; our room was clean and comfortable. Our breakfasts were great with fresh flowers on our plates each morning. The restaurant was excellent. Steve our server could not have been more enthusiastic about the menu. Our meals were delicious and the presentation was very enjoyable. Lilacs were everywhere in the inn as they were in season. A very relaxing and great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank czorbe
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had a business trip to Boston and last minute I decided to spend the weekend near Rumney to rock climb. I always stay in the nearby hostel but this time wanted to check out Squam Lake area. This inn was #2, but I read through all the comments and read a similar theme, how nice and friendly the staff was, how nice the rooms were and how great the location was. So I went with "#2" and glad I made that choice.

First, all of the staff is truly friendly and wrote the book on customer service. Also as you walk to the Inn front door, there is beautiful, well kept garden and large partially wrap around porch. You walk in and there is a living room for guests with fireplace, making it a nice cozy retreat. Breakfast is included and delicious. I had lunch and dinner and it is divine to have homemade food and cozy environment. For example, they have a signature ice cream sandwich, they get the ice cream from a farm down the street that make the ice cream from scratch....by milking their cows! Everything on the menu (or almost) is supported by a local farm or business or made from scratch at the Inn.

I got the Eagle's Nest which is spacious, open and airy. And as the pics are correct, the bathroom is huge and divine.

Other than the amazing customer service and peaceful environment, the house is updated and tastefully decorated, yet it has old charm and character to it. I WILL be returning to Squam Lake Inn every time!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FrequentTravelerNC
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed at SLI in May 2012 and liked it so much that we returned with friends in October 2012. Stayed in two different rooms. Both were comfortable and quite. Cindy, Rae, and Molly help you instantly feel like you are at home. They are creative and share their insights on places to go and see. The Inn is comfortable, tastefully decorated, and offers plenty of spaces to relax. My favorite spot is on the front porch, where I drank my morning coffee and enjoyed cheese and wine before dinner.

No need to eat anywhere else. Rae is a master in the kitchen. Each meal was delicous and used the highest quality ingredients. My husband loves their oysters! Their cocktails are very creative. If you are planning an early Spring trip or late Fall trip, you may want to see if the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner. We will return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jean W
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I traveled from NYS to NH on a regular basis for 5 years, until we finally moved to NH a couple of months ago. We have always stayed at the Squam Lake Inn and highly recommend this wonderful Inn. The owners, Cindy and Rae, are amazing for their hospitality, creative ideas, delicious gourmet meals, and lovely accommodations. There is something new and wonderful offered every year for their guests to enjoy. We have stayed at many B&B's around the U.S. and other countries, and this is our favorite. Thank you for the terrific vacations and special meals in your restaurant, Cindy and Rae!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Holderness
Glynn House Inn
Glynn House Inn
#1 of 2 in Ashland

Been to Squam Lake Inn? Share your experiences!