“We are so happy we climbed Rattlesnake Mountain!!!”

West Rattlesnake Mountain
West Lafayette, Indiana
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“We are so happy we climbed Rattlesnake Mountain!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

While visiting Squam Lake, we climbed Rattlesnake Mountain. It was an easy climb. We passed many families with young children, either walking or being carried in packs. It is a climb, but can be done by all ages. It is worth the climb. The views of Squam Lake will take your breath away. Take a drink or snack and sit and enjoy the view!! Recommend!

Visited August 2014

Williamsburg, Virginia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Plenty of parking and a well traveled and well marked trail- bit of a huff and puff on my part (I hike very rarely) and absolutely stunning views!

Roanoke, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Nice hike to an awesome view”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

A lot of reviewers have said that this hike is very easy. I am in good shape and love to hike so for me it was a great experience. The way up is almost all uphill with a lot of steps and roots to navigate around. I would say that if you are not in the best of shape, you might want to take it slow. we had a good size party and some were definitely gassed going up. Also my 80 year old mother in law fell while climbing some high steps and hurt herself. I can tell you that the views at the top are magnificent! Squam Lake can be seen in its entirety spread out before you. Definitely got some breathtaking photos. So I would say go for it but keep in mind your own physical limitations if any and plan accordingly.

2 Thank KillerB5
Wilmington, Delaware
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Short hike to a great view”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Did this with my 5 year old daughter. For the most part it was a pretty easy hike to an awesome view of Squam Lake and the surrounding area. The trail is pretty well maintained, however, there were a ton of exposed roots. We left the mountain with a skinned knee and some tears but nothing serious. If we ever get back to the area I'd definitely consider doing this hike again.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Minimal effort - maximum rewards.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've hiked Rattlesnake Mountain in Holderness many times over the years, having grown up in New Hampshire. It is a very easy hike for all ages and experience levels. It's about a 450 ft elevation gain, very gradual. It can be very crowded on the weekends as it is a popular "tourist" mountain, so if you don't like "highway hiking" I'd recommend a different trip on the weekend. The parking lot is on the same side of the mountain and across the street is another parking lot for Mt. Morgan, both of which fill up quickly, so don't be surprised if you have to park on the side of the road.

Be sure to check out some of the other trails that lead off the peak, some are quite a bit more challenging than the actual hike itself.

1 Thank Jason N