“Awesome place to enjoy the beauties of NH!”

Cottage Place on Squam Lake
Nashua
“Awesome place to enjoy the beauties of NH!”
Reviewed June 10, 2010

This cottage place captures what NH is really about. It is rustic, and it is a great place just to rent out with families and friends. The lake is a two second walk from the cottages and it makes it easy to have a great time! The Lodge is fantastic place to spend with family and friends! Best vacation I have every had!

A well run business with great employees! I would rent a place out every year!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We have been going to The Cottage Place on Squam Lake with our two grandsons, who are now 5 and 7 years old, for the past 4 years. We originally chose The Cottage Place because it had the best beach we could find in the area suitable for young children. We have had some great times here with our grand kids. Fishing off the dock, gentle sloping sandy beach, campfires, swing set and picnic tables. Of course, it would be better if there were not a road between the cottages and the beach but it turned out to be not that much of a problem. The cottages are old but comfortable. The folks who run the Cottage Place are very friendly and helpful. We will return again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We are not fussy people. We enjoy simple and quaint accomodations. At first glance that's what we thought our cottage was. A bit rustic, a mish mash of furniture, but quaint. Except for the smell. It had the distinct odor of some type of sewerage. It was late so we decided to go to bed and thought we'd deal with it in the morning.The bed was small (full size) had extremely scratchy sheets and was noisy and very uncomfortable.We figured we could deal for 3 nights. The next morning my husband went to shower and the tub kept filling while showering. It was almost full when he finished and took about 30 minutes to drain. I left a note with the desk about it, no one was around, and when we got back there was a note stating they had snaked the lines and plunged the tub. Now it was draining and the smell was gone. First thing we did when we got back was make a fire. While I was in the bathroom the entire cottage filled up with smoke. The chimmney design was so off that unless your logs were at the backside of the fireplace, the smoke came out into the room. After opening all the windows and moving the logs, the smoke cleared out and we went to bed. The next night the same thing happened with the fire and then the wood just wouldn't burn. We bought it from them, and it was full of dirt and just smoldered. The kitchen was no better. There was no counter space or storage or cabinets. There were no bowls, hardly any sliverware, and no sharp knives. I feel this place was way over priced for the condition of the place. After 3 nights, my husbands back and neck were so sore that we decided to just head home rather than spend the day......DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debbie H
cottageplace, Owner at Cottage Place on Squam Lake, responded to this review, June 26, 2010
The unfortunate plumbing issues were dealt with immediately and a complimentary bag of cedar was extended to enjoy in the fireplace. The real wood burning fireplaces require a skillfully set fire that will create a proper draft and it is essential to use the kindling wood that we provide. We understand creating a draft is sometime difficult, but it is impossible if you do not open the flu, which is what happened in this case. Our wood is purchased by the cord and from a local logging operation which cuts, splits and seasons it for one year before it is delivered to us. I burn it very successfully in the coffee shop and lobby area. The queen size mattress and box springs have since been replaced in this cottage. We are a small family run operation and love this 1957 property which to us is full of natural beauty and charm. We have to be a good match for what travelers are hoping to experience. Our website has inside and outside photos and we strive for accuracy in all descriptions. We are attentive and corrective when we know about the guests issues and we can usually solve most all problems.
East Walpole, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This was a new area and place for our entire family to gather for vacation. We were shocked that the "small road" we had to cross was a major highway with cars flying more than 50 miles per hour. At one point my mother had to stop reading out loud to my father because the traffic noise was so loud. We expected the "coffee shop" to be more than juice boxes and muffins.
The cabin was dirty and the bed my mother slept in had a vinyl sheet on the mattress that crinkled every time she moved (she did not wet her bed-but perhaps the previous occupant may have).

The cabins do not have AC but the facility was helpful in getting us fans. However, finding an outlet to plug them in was a challenge.

I wish the owners had been more honest before we made our reservation. It made for a very stressful week for my elderly parents, and my brother who was panicked about his kids crossing the highway.

We will return to the area but will not stay at The Cottage Place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank amazing0405
Our beach is separated from our rentals by Route 3 which is the only roadway that connects all of the Lakes Region (Lake Winnispausaukee, Winnisquam Lake, Newfound Lake, Squam Lake) - the state in it's infinite wisdom placed it in front of all the property owners to make the Lakes Region more accessible back in the 40's. The speed limit is 40mph right now and I have petitioned the state to change it to 35 mph. The visibility is about 1/4 mile coming from both sides so crossing usually isn't difficult. Our coffee shop is attached to our gift shop and is meant to be a public space for folks to come in the morning if they are the first ones up and need coffee and a snack - we bake lots of different things at different times. All of our rentals have kitchens, so most of our guests grocery shop and make their own big breakfast. We have experimented with a larger coffee shop idea, but most folks like staying in their own private space. We were never told of the sleeping discomfort as the mattress pad issue could have been changed right away. Our cottages are older but they all have brand new bathrooms and brand new heating systems. The floors have all been converted back to wood and we decorate with antique braided and hooked rugs. We are vigilante about the cleanliness, however, if our guests ever want additional attention or find something that was not done to their satisfaction, we are happy to come back in and correct or do over. In this case, sadly we were not told.
massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2009

This place was disgusting. Overpriced, misrepresented on it's website, dirty and decrepit rooms, linoleum floors that looked like they were never washed, nasty looking beds and furniture. Website makes it looks like it is right on the lake. It is not. It is on a highway with incessant traffic directly across from the lake. The woman who runs the place was barely civil and not interested in providing even basic information to guests on attractions in the area. I recommend people stay away from this tourist trap.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank druid47
Winchester,VA
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Holderness, NH to put it bluntly is simply a Tourist Trap!

I have been on vacation after vacation all over the world and find this area to be the absolute worst.

My family has always wanted to take a trip to Squam Lake after seeing the movie On Golden Pond, so after lots of online research we decided to make the trip this year.

So on 08/17/2007 we packed up from Virginia and headed to our destination in Holderness, NH for a weeks vacation.

We had researched places on the internet in an attempt to secure a place where our entire family could stay together while there. We found what appeared to be just what we were looking for at The Cottage Place on Squam Lake.

Went to their web site and found what appeared to be a very nice place which was well reviewed.

The web site as of this review date and as I sit in the lodge which is 8/24/2007 is way out dated. The price for the lodge is under quoted and is two hundred dollars more expensive than advertised. After arriving it is obvious that the photographs on their web site of the lodge are very outdated. The e-mail address for reaching them is outdated.

First and the most disappointing thing found upon arrival, is the property is not as represented. When I telephoned the facility prior to booking and arriving I was told it was on the lake. This was the primary reason for patronizing this facility.

NOTICE: You can see the lake from the property but it is not on the lake. You must cross one of the busiest highways in the area to get to the lake and the facilities private beach. If you have small children or pets you take their life in your own hands if they are not at all times strictly supervised.

It is very NOISY! It is especially noisy and disturbing at night when you are trying to sleep because of how close you are to the highway and the traffic noise. Fifty feet to be exact from the lodge we were in.

The owners don't advertise that you have to pay an extra nightly fee for using their boat dock. $1.00 for every foot your boat is. We rented a 22' pontoon boat so it was another $22.00 a night that I was told about after making a deposit for the reservation. Actually I was notified of the fee in writing when I received the reservation card in the mail with the fee tacked onto the reservation notice. I called and questioned the hidden fee before making the trip and was told there was no negotiating the fee even though I had not been told about it.

The reason for the fee I was told was for the upkeep of the dock and beach area.

Well let me tell you about the dock and beach. The beach is not a white sandy beach. Dirty sand with water wash outs from where road run off has traveled down across it.

The dock is ok but not as described.

Some of the boat tie ups are so worn out that they pull right out of the dock so you have to tie up to dock poles instead of the actual boat ties. Some of the boards in the dock walk are in need of replacement. It is also a small walk way across the dock which could and should for safety reasons be much wider.

The lodge is old which I have since learned was built in 1957. Paint peeling from the exterior. No grass around the lodge only dirt, gravel and wooded area. The area we were at was very unkempt. The furniture and beds in the photographs appear to be very nice. WRONG..... When you sit down in the one single chair in the living area you find it is broken and nearly tosses you out the back. The couch is not the couch in the web site photographs or the photographs are so old that what is here now is a covering. It is so bad you sink down into it and you have to be pulled out of it.

We found numerous hazards in the kitchen with receptacles. There are not enough of them and multiple things are plugged into the limited receptacles like an octopus. The curtains and cotton table cloth have not been washed in who knows when?

The facility is advertised as being clean, however the windows and sliding glass doors are full of spider webs, dirt and cigarette butts and when in my bare feet the first night there the grit all over the bedroom floor was so bad I had to put my shoes back on because the bottom of my feet were black in ten minutes time, so it appears no vacuuming or floor cleaning prior to our arrival. Fire pit was in terrible condition full of ash, branches, and trash and the picnic table was filthy and not in a clean enough condition to even consider using unless you put some sort of covering on the table top where you wanted to eat and something to sit on to keep your clothes from getting dirty.

The pristine Adirondack chairs are a joke. I wouldn't sit in one as they are not painted at our lodge as we were told and just look nasty with lots of tree debris and insects all over them.

Six bedrooms alright however to use two of them you must pass through another persons bedroom to use them. The beds have not had the mattresses replaced in years. Very uncomfortable beds which sag in the middle. No one was comfortable all week long when trying to sleep in the beds.

NOTICE: NO AIR CONDITIONING

Kitchen appliances are sparse and the toasters only toast one side of the bread.

Prior to arrival we were informed there was place setting for 15 people. We found feeding five people was difficult with what was available.

One skillet that was worth cooking in. The other one I wouldn't feed the dog from! YUK.........

Owners are very interested in getting their money fast. The have an absolutely no refund policy on your 50% deposit which you must give upon making a reservation. They accept your check and not your credit card. They will take your credit card upon check-in for the balance of your stay.

One of the first things that was said to me when I arrived really rubbed me the wrong way. When in the office I asked where to drive around to the lodge and Sue took me to the door and stated, "Once you pay, you will go down this way and it is at the end of the driveway."

Hours are good, 8AM to 8PM if you need something from the office area.

From what I am use to having for more than two grand a week I rate this facility as POOR. This lodge is not worth $2,200.00 a week, BELIEVE ME you can find much better in this world for the more than the $300 plus you pay a night at this facility. If you want value for your money at this price go to the Willard in Washington DC. You are treated like a Sultan there for this price.

Other things worth mentioning are:

No telephone service in the rentals.
No cellular service unless you have US Cellular
No screens in some of the upstairs bedrooms so don’t open your windows for air unless you want insects in your room.
No daily personal service. Clean up after yourself, take out the trash, do the dishes, make the beds, no daily fresh linens or towels. You get to keep the same bed linens and towels and wash cloths all week long. The water pressure in the downstairs bathroom sink is practically non-existent. Quite frankly I can personally void a stronger stream of water. The faucet control for the cold water is even on backwards. One television set and no radio. There is very poor lighting through out the entire lodge. A community barbecue grill. If you want a fire you must pay for the wood, which is understandable but just be prepared for that expense.

Things I found acceptable at this facility.

A nice refrigerator is in the lodge. Stove and oven were nice.
The owner is friendly and did listen intently to my constructive criticism at the conclusion of our stay.
It is a convenient location and easy to find.
Wireless internet service was available.
They have a nice little gift shop.

Feel free to write me for additional information.

There was one horrible experience with a place where you rent your boat from if you don’t have your own. Squam Boat Livery. I feel we were really taken advantage of at this place of business. I will not go into a lot of detail but to rent a pontoon boat was
$1,200.00 a week. This was the least expensive rental. Others rent for nearly $2,000.00. For $200 a day you can rent the very best luxury car available. This is totally a trap for tourists and especially for anyone not having a lot of knowledge about boats at this place of business.

One of the worst experiences of our lives took place here which cost us an additional $4,000.00. That’s right Four Thousand Dollars they charged to my credit card for a boat motor repair which I have discovered since should have been less than $2,000.00. We were totally taken advantage of. Please take my advice before doing business with these people and totally understand everything before you rent a boat. If you do business here please take photographs of the boat and the motor before you rent it as you may need them later.

This part of the country is very beautiful and we loved some of the excursions we took to the White Mountain National Park and other places.

The tourists are really jabbed on the cost of food. A glass of ice tea was $2.49 at one local diner. Soft drinks in some machines in the area were $3.50. A baked potato was $8.00 at another diner. Strawberry shortcake was $6.50. I overheard a waitress at one of the diners tell a patron that she had given them a $4.00 discount because they were a local resident. One good thing is no sales tax in department stores.

My personal recommendation if you want to visit this area is to bring your own motor home or travel trailer and your own boat. I will tell you who we found locally who helped us out while we were there if you contact me directly. They are local residents and were apologetic to us with how we were treated by the locals. They told us that since the movie was made back in 1981 that everyone here in business are simply greedy and money hungry to those who want to visit and see the lake.

19 Thank Vadetective
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Holderness
White Oak Motel & Cottages
White Oak Motel & Cottages
#1 of 3 in Holderness

Been to Cottage Place on Squam Lake? Share your experiences!