“The Outhouse at Squam Lake”

Cottage Place on Squam Lake
Reviewed June 7, 2011

This place is disgusting! We were so disgusted, we turned right around and drove 3 hrs. back home. We checked in and when we entered Cottage #1 there were ants on the ceiling and floor. The place was very dirty. When I went and complained about the ants, the Manager apologized and told me there were no other cottages available. The groundsman, who was standing there, said " I put some poison down yesterday , do you want me to put some more". We had our dog with us for God's Sake, he would have been tied up right outside where they were to put the poison. When I told her that we wanted our money back, the Manager agreed and voided the charge I made upon check-in but my deposit was made before they changed their credit card system so they would mail me a check. Needless to say I have not received that check and have contacted them and they have no intention of sending it. They accused us of exagerating the ant problem. Please people, you read some of the other reviews with the same problem. On their website they make Cottage #1 appear to be a "Doll House", what we saw was an "Outhouse". Check out their website. Also, it looks like the cottages are right on the beach, WRONG! The beach was across busy Rte. 3. Do yourself a favor, DO NOT CONSIDER THE COTTAGE PLACE AT SQUAM LAKE !!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank LiveandLearn1126
cottageplace, Owner at Cottage Place on Squam Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

It is important to acknowledge that our Cottage #1 is very small. We are located beside our lake frontage at the foothills of White Mountains, therefore there may be an ant or two. We have our exteriors treated by a professional exterminator once a year, however, we do use ant traps in between especially after a wet spell to minimize and discourage ants. We all know that these are safe for children and pets. This guest did not stay long enough to evaluate cleanliness nor long enough to determine an ant problem. He basically opened the door, saw the size of the cottage and came right back to the office wanting his money back. We try to explain that Cottage #1 is small and a one room design which means very little floor space, but it has a brand new bathroom with brand new shower and tub insert. This cottage is popular because it offers our lowest rate. This guest arrived on a sold out weekend and we were sending many, many phone inquiries and off road travelors to our lodging neighbors. Our policy is not to refund upon arrival and our deposit is nonrefundable in July, August and for holiday weekends. In this case, we did refund the amount paid upon arrival, however, the deposit was also a credit to this guest, as he had already made a last minute cancellation for the first reservation. We could have said - sorry your deposit is clearly identified as "nonrefundable" but we did not, we allowed him to use as a credit for another time. We are very proud of our property and work hard year round to maintain it. We have learned that we cannot be everything to everybody. We are available by email cottageplace@gmail.com or by phone 1-877-968-7116 to answer any and all questions. If you are honest about what you need to be happy on vacation, we will be able to determine if we are an appropriate match. It has been my sad experience that some folks just cannot be happy anywhere. Luckily for us we have over 2500 visitors a year and most are return customers. So many thanks to those who enjoy our property.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

We came up for our 15th anniversary and stayed in cottage #6. We really didn't have any complaints except it was an extremely hot weekend and there was no a/c. Yes, there was the main road that separates the cottages from the lake but we didn't think it was particularly noisy and if you're bringing your kids and pets, be a responsible adult and walk them across. What's the big deal? Do your research first. Anyway, the cottage was cute and smelled like a fireplace (I'm not complaining, I like that smell). The bed looked clean and was ok to sleep on, but there's nothing like "your own bed". I'm not complaining about that either. We could sit in our Adirondack chairs and have a little bbq on the Weber grill outside our cottage. We could even smoke outside without being chased off the property. It was a little expensive though. Actually, that whole area was expensive. Castle in the Clouds was beautiful. Weirs Beach and the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center were a good time as well. We saw Sue, the owner, on a few occasions working at the store or cleaning up the rooms. Nice, but not overly friendly. Typical New Englander, just like us. So that was fine too. Overall, we had a nice time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed in Cabin #6. It was clean and cozy. Decorated with a typical mountain/lake motif: knotty pine walls, stone fireplace, Adirondock chairs on the porch. It was very convenient having the little kitchen/dining area in the cabin. There was plenty of room for my partner, myself, and my dog. After our stay here we travelled to a motel in Maine and my partner & I both wished we had stayed longer at The Cottage Place. We would definitely return here.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I really enjoyed myself, It was quiet, clean and comfortable. The beach and lake are amazing. The owner was extremely helpful. I truly did not want to leave. I plan on going back real soon.
I traveled with my 12 yr, 19 yr old and 2 dogs and was amazed by how pet friendly this place was. Not once did my kids say " I'm board ". I highly recommend this place....

Reviewed September 1, 2010

My husband and I and 9 year old daughter extended our stay for 1 additional night. None of us wanted to leave. We had a very relaxing and fun time. The lake was beautiful and clean as was the private beach area. There is a busy road between the cottages and the lake. However, it didn't take away from our visit to the area. Our 2 bedroom cottage was clean upon arrival and roomy enough for all of us. The owner was very accommodating and willing to work with us and our requests. My 9 year old said her bed was "totally comfortable" and "I had a blast"!

Reviewed August 23, 2010

At least my camping stuff has been purchased in the last 5 years. The mattresses are so old, they were completely lopsided, the blankets and comforters had sand on them when we arrived.

Our first night was met with three rooms full of friends coming home from a rehearsal dinner at 1 am. They continued to party until 3 am, slamming car doors, and motel room doors. Since there are no phone's in the cottage rooms, and there is no cellular service, there is no way to contact anyone for security. The office supposedly has a phone that guests can use for local calls, although no one informed us of this until we told them what had transpired.

Many people have commented on crossing the road (a 2 lane highway, speed limit 50 mph). It is very dangerous with children and pets. There is no crosswalk, so you basically have to just take your chances. The beach itself is nice. The water is lovely, there is a cute boat dock for fishing and a swimming dock that is easily reached by children.

1  Thank carobin
cottageplace, Owner at Cottage Place on Squam Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

This family was offered a credit for another stay with us to compensate for the noisy neighbors. There were 4 other families staying in our main building that did not hear the disturbances that were reported by this family. Our manager lives on site and her apartment abuts the guest apartments which were rented to the "noisy" guests, she was not hear anything that night. The queen size mattress in the Cottage Suite which was rented to this family was purchased one year ago in the month of June and the two twin mattresses were new this spring. I am not sure how the beds could be sandy, however, this family was travelling with their dog who frequented the beach often while they were here. At any time, we will provide fresh linens to our guests. The speed limit of the two lane road that separates us from our lake frontage is not 50 mph - it is 40 mph and the visibility is 1/4 mile each way - we mention this in the second paragraph of our home page on the website. I have partitioned the State of NH twice to provide a cross walk but the speed limit must be changed to 35 mph before the State will put a cross walk - I am hoping that will be in place by next year. Our property was built in 1957 and we are simple by choice and not a good match for everyone. We ask that everyone review the website closely and we are happy to answer any questions during the reservation process - toll free 1-877-968-7116.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

We don’t get to vacation too often, so we like our vacations to be special. We like rustic and are not super-picky, but we do like the feeling that we are getting our money’s worth. Our vacation this summer at the Cottage place was awful.

There were a lot of disappointments along the way. However, what most disappointed us was not the loud, busy, dangerous highway dividing the cottage from the lake, which the website mostly overlooks, and which made it impossible for us to relax comfortably with our young kids, both because of the noise and because of the scary traffic. We were told by the owner that they “strive for accuracy on the website.” You be the judge: http://www.cottageplaceonsquam.com/.

And what most disappointed was not waking up every morning to mouse turds and ants all over the kitchen counters, even after we complained to the management on both fronts. We scrubbed the place every night to get rid of any possible mouse attractions!

It was not the nasty gas smell when the gas ran out, which made it impossible for us to be in our cottage for half a day, nor the busted hot water heater, which made it impossible to take a hot shower or wash our dishes for two days, (especially nasty given the mouse turds).

What most disappointed was that after all of these mishaps, the manager/owner never came down to apologize, to see if everything was ok, and to try to make it ok.

She was very eager to speak with us when we didn’t immediately pay up the full price in advance on arrival, but after she achieved this goal, we never heard from her again until our last moments there. We saw the owner on the day we checked out and she didn’t even apologize for any of the problems, let alone offer some sort of compensation for our troubles. She just came by to make sure we were going to be out of the cabin on time. I was stunned.

I grew up in the small motel business, and my father always taught me that the most important things were the relationship with the customer, making things right, being decent. I’m so disappointed we wasted our time and money on this place.

2  Thank HarryHoudini
cottageplace, Owner at Cottage Place on Squam Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2010

We clearly describe our cottages as being across the street from our beach area and frontage. Arriving and not knowing that means that the proper research was not done. There were two families travelling together (4 adults and 3 children) and had rented two of our larger cottages. They arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and on Sunday morning one of the woman told me she was not happy with the road. I noticed that neither of the families had paid their balance, so I was worried that they were not planning on staying and paying their balance. She asked me to come to the cottage and discuss the balance with her friend, but wait until after they made breakfast. Mid-morning I approached these families with lots of anxiety expecting everyone to be unhappy. I brought 7 admission tickets to Natural Science Center ($91 value) + a $40 gift certificate to a local restaurant to compensate for any misunderstanding about the road - two of the other adults I spoke to were happy and more than willing to pay the balance of the two rentals and they thanked me for the tickets + gift cert. All of the negativity was coming from one member of their party.

On Tuesday she told me there were signs of a mouse. I immediately offered a trapping system which is unoffensive and very discreet and would take care of the problem - she would not allow us to put a "trap" in the cottage. I showed her the black box that we use and explained that it would not be something she would have to deal with - we set it and take it out at convenient times for guests. The answer was still no - so we tried to trap the mouse from underneath the cottage which is almost impossible - hence - the problem continued. We provide ant traps at first suggestion of problem and we have treated the outside of all the cottages.

Unfortunately, the propane did run out due to a malfunctioning hot water heater. It happened at 6:00 pm Tuesday night and our plumber and gas company were on site by 8:30 pm determining that the cottage was safe, but the hot water heater (5 years old) had to be replaced. We offered this family a key to one of our two room family suites for Tuesday night which has a full kitchen, full bath and a queen size bed + double bed + twin bed + cable tv + internet access for their inconvenience. They used this apartment and also used their cottage for Tuesday night - the brand new hot water heater was installed by 10:30 am on Wednesday (not two full days as indicated in the review). My daughter was asked to babysit for them that night and I sent a package of "childrens activities " from our gift shop and a note of apology - value of $45.00 (puzzles, activity books, card games).

Our check out time is 10:00 am as we have just 4 hours to turn our 16 rentals over for the next group of families - we were completely full for each of our Saturdays in July and August - these two families had vacated their cottages by 12:30 pm (2 and 1/2 hours late) however, I said nothing to them at 12:30 pm as we were concentrating on the other rentals. We were able to get all of the cottages ready by 2:30 pm, however, these two families were still parked in the driveways in front of their cottages - they were relaxing and using the beach and having a great time which we do not mind at all on the day of check out as long as the folks who are checking in have full access to the cottage they rented. So at 2:30 pm, I had to ask them to please move their cars to away from the cottages and off to the side - I said it was great that they were enjoying themselves so much that they did not want to leave. Very contrary to the review which was placed by one of 7 people. The children seemed to LOVE our location and while there were issues, we (my very small staff and I) were very responsive.

I would like to encourage those folks who travel with other folks, to be sure that everyone is on the same page in regards to a location. This was a case of one person who was very disappointed out of 7 and really decided to make the vacation week as uncomfortable and stressful as possible. Our website offers lots of information and lots of photos (inside and outside. We are very happy to answer any questions you may have.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Holderness
The Manor on Golden Pond
The Manor on Golden Pond
#3 of 3 in Holderness

Been to Cottage Place on Squam Lake? Share your experiences!