“Dated and In Dire Need of a Refresh”

The Manor on Golden Pond
Ranked #3 of 3 Holderness B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2007

The Inn has a great location and is very near the small beach area.

Unfortunately the In is very dated with cheap furnishings in the room and just a dated feeling. We had one of the most expensive rooms at $400 with taxes and fees (Churchill Room). The views from the room were beautiful and the deck was also a nice touch. But the carpet seemed old and dirty, the fire place mantel was a mess, the SPA tub was odd right in the middle of the room as well. Another item that surprised me was there was NO feeling of staying in a manor. It was more like staying in a boarding house. The few common rooms open to the public were tired and old. The upstairs was just a straight hallway with rooms.

There are a bunch of additional rooms that seem to be added on and are called the annex and carriage house. I would definitely avoid these. I took a peak at some of the smaller rooms and was surprised at home small and basic they were.

The owners were absent and the staff had an attitude that they could care less. Breakfast was also very average at best. Thankfully we decided to not eat dinner here.

I definitely would check out other places. This is not a luxury inn but an old tired boarding house that is in desperate need of a paint job and staff refresh.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nicolas617

Reviewed September 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Manor on Golden Pond for 5 nights during a holiday from the UK in New England. I had seen the hotel on the internet and saw that it was a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group which gave me some confidence. We booked the Sandwich room which I think is one of the more pricey rooms at the hotel. On arrival I was immediately taken aback at how dated the place looks, it is in dire need of refurbishment. The room had the most weird layout with a jaccuzzi right next to the front door and in the sitting room. The shower drains smelt. At the small beach area which is lovely, there is a fridge which the hotel promises will be stocked with cold water for guests - on our second day there was no water, so my husband informed reception. The following afternoon water had still not been restocked. The food and service were very average. A small thing, but we played tennis and the raquets they gave us came out of the ark! They proudly note how dated the raquets are in their guide to the hotel. Hey, here's a wild suggestion, why not splash out and buy a few new raquets? This hotel is in a super location, the small beach and canoes are great, and are just a small walk from the hotel (it is not necessary to "hike" or drive as in a previous review). We enjoyed our stay in spite of, not because of the hotel. It strikes me that this is a hotel run by exceptionally lazy owners who are trading off the "Golden Pond" name. Way overpriced and a big disappointment.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank HopefulSurrey
Reviewed August 18, 2007

To start with a positive, the view of the mountains is beautiful. Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there...My husband and I stayed here for an event. We have stayed at some amazing places around the world, and this inn was highly recommended to us. Now, we don't normally mind paying $350+ per night (3 night minimum) for a room, but this property definitely didn't warrant that price. The inn itself was in dire need of renovation--peeling windows (inside and out) antiquated (and cheap) decorations. Very outdated bathrooms, window treatments, etc. It is evident that they put NO money back into this business. Our phone didn't work for the first 2 days, and people kept calling the front desk to get a hold of us and became very concerned. The person answering the phone was extremely rude and told her no one was answering in the room. My daughter even asked if someone could go upstairs to tell us she was trying to reach us and knew we'd be in the room (which we were) and they eventually taped a post-it note on the door (without knocking) while we were still in the room waiting around for an hour for our daughter to call. Cell phones don't work here, which makes you dependent on the room phone. You have to ask at the front desk for someone to serve you at the bar or restaurant, then you have to wait around till they can find someone to come take your food/drink order. Which was never worth waiting for anyway. Food was average and service was very slow. The front desk never did fix our phone even after we told them of the problem. To end this review with a couple positives--1.)housekeeping was good and 2.) We never have to go back there again :)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Twinklestah
Reviewed August 18, 2007

While we have never stayed at the Inn, we are neighbors and have attempted to negotiate having two major family events, in two years at the Inn. After the first abbreviated, abrupt, insensitive interaction we chalked it up to a "bad day "(on their part) or a "misunderstanding" (on our part). We attempted again to negotiate another major familial event (using their Inn and restaurant) and experienced more of the same. If you enjoy a persistent negative attitude; arrogance; a lack of patience/motivation to understand or answer questions; and an elevated level of ignorance (based on assuming that one knows it all without the patience to consider customer complexities, concerns, or realities), "The Manor on Golden Pond" is for you. It lacks ambiance and the "welcome" atmosphere that we have come to know that "Relais & Chateaux, " as well as our region is known for. We have stayed in "Manors" throughout the world and have never experienced the arrogance and ignorance that is so bountiful in our own back yard. We can only hope that they will consider and grow from the criticism, and can serve their customer's more effectively. The Inn and its location is truly beaurtiful, but does not serve the purpose or potential of the surroundings. "The Manor On Golden Pond," interpersonally, has little "golden" about it !!

Stayed: August 2007
5  Thank travelerinourworld
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Web sites can be misleading, and that certainly is the case with the Web site for this inn. Led to believe that it was right on Squam Lake, I discovered that it is on a hill overlooking the lake. I am sure during the bare-branch season, you can see the lake - but not in summer. And, instead of walking steps to the beach and water, you have either a hike or a short drive. Try its very nice swimming pool instead.

As for dining there - don't! The food was overcooked and priced as if it were a hip, Manhattan restaurant. Far from it! Service was also very slow!

Room prices also seem quite steep but we have stayed in worse for the same money. Then again, we have stayed in better for the same money.

As for hip, it isn't. It has lots of dark, old wood and old, boring photographs and pictures.

To its credit, the grounds were quite lovely and the staff was helpful and friendly. And lots of Adirondack chairs on the grounds. You also have a very nice view of the White Mountains.

Once was enough for us!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sabathecat
Reviewed March 24, 2007

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Manor on Golden Pond. I was delighted with how friendly the staff was from my initial phone call to reserve the room. When we arrived the Innkeepers were very helpful giving us a short tour of the inn and even taking the time to print directions to local attractions and confirm hours of operation.

We stayed in the Avon room and were very happy with the amenities including large comfortable bed and huge jacuzzi (complete with a rubber ducky, bath salts and a bath mitt!). The water pressure in the shower wasn't the greatest and the room was a little hot during the night, but other than that we were very pleased. Another nice touch was a welcome letter awaiting us in our room customized with our names!

The food was to die for...and the setting was very romantic. We were there duirng the off-season so the inn was very quiet and we were one of two couples in the entire dining room. I escpecially liked the after dinner chocolate covered strawberries given to us to take to our room and the warm cookies that awaited us after our turndown service! For breakfast, my boyfriend commented that the French Toast "was the best he's ever had" and proceeded to order it every morning we were there!

Overall, I would definitely recommend the Manor on the Golden Pond to New England travelers. To be honest, I was surprised by some of the negative reviews I read. Our experience was completely different...not sure if the Inn has improved considering some of the more negative reviews were from a few years ago.

We reserved the off-season Spring Special so our incredible dinner and breakfast were included for $249/night. The dinner special did not include drinks or gratuity...but it wasn't a big deal for us considering we don't typically order alcoholic beverages. I definitely feel as though we got our money's worth. Not sure I would pay the average $385+/night rate for a high-season weekend, but I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for future inn specials!! I would love to return in the fall or summer when more of the local attractions are open.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CruisinNewEngland
Reviewed January 9, 2007

My husband and I were looking for a romantic, luxurious, relaxing New England vacation and chose the Manor on Golden Pond. We were not disappointed, and would recommend this property to anyone seeking such an experience. The staff, from the owners to the servers and housekeeping team, were all exceptional. We were treated like VIPs the whole stay, including checks for us on local skiing conditions, highlighted maps for great local road trips and reservations for nearby restaurants. The food at the inn was also very good. The location, in New Hampshire's beautiful Lakes District, didn't disapopint either. Our room, like many at the manor, looked out on Squam Lake. Our room had an extremely comfortable bed that was made up every morning while we were at breakfast and turned down every evening. The public rooms at the manor were wonderful, and wonderfully maintained, as well. The two dining rooms were delightful spaces in which to savor the good food and wine. The living room areas had delicious hot cider in the afternoon, comfy couches, a large fireplace, games, books, videos and puzzles. We took advantage of all of them, while enjoying the vista through the leaded glass windows of snow falling gently on the fir trees outside. This is a wonderful place to stay that exceeded our expectations and was hard to leave.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Church Landing at Mill Falls
#1 of 2 in Ashland
Nutmeg Inn
Nutmeg Inn
#2 of 6 in Meredith

Been to The Manor on Golden Pond? Share your experiences!