“Felt Like Royalty”

The Manor on Golden Pond
Ranked #3 of 3 Holderness B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The public spaces were old time elegant. Our room was once the master bedroom at the manor when it was a home. It was large and very comfortable. The extra touches in addition to breakfast (coffee in the morning, lemonade and iced tea at midday, English tea at 4, and cookies on our pillows) were wonderful. They special ordered The NY Times for us, and were warm, friendly, and helpful. It was a "just right" slow-paced vacation despite some disappointment with the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank LAFSudbury

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 4, 2005

We really loved the Manor: the service, the food, the room, the grounds, everything was better than what we expected. We certainly recommend this B & B to anyone planning on visiting the lakes region in New Hampshire.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Warwick, RI
Reviewed July 16, 2005

When I first discovered the Manor and decided that this would be the perfect vacation weekend location, I had great expectations. However I am so happy to say that my expectations were exceeded so far above what I could have imagined. I knew that my partner would be excited to stay here so I did not giveaway where we were going. To her exhuberant delight, the Manor simply "took her breathe away" as it did for me, who had already seen the webside. In so many words, this was the single best vacation either of us have ever experienced. The atmosphere, accommodations, and professionalism was the highest quality. Both of us needed a purely relaxing vacation and this was no doubt the perfect choice. The staff made us feel comfortable with their friendliness and sophistication, the activities were perfect for our needs, and the room was, well -unforgetable. This was a the perfect weekend with cherished memories. I am so glad that we choose the Manor for our getaway and we will return.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2005

Just got back yesterday from a mini-vacation (the midweek "On Golden Pond Package") to the Squam Lake area and had a great time. We were celebrating our 32nd anniversary and stayed at the Manor on Golden Pond. They were wonderful! They had a complementary bottle of champagne chilling in our room to welcome us, and we had a fantastic meal the first night there (the chef's tasting menu). There was even a special congratulatory note printed at the top of the menu for us. When dessert came, "Happy Anniversary" was written in chocolate around my creme brulee. The room was pretty and comfortable (though a bit small), and all the meals there were great. I do have to say that the Manor is not inexpensive, but it was well worth it, especially for a special occasion. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

With the package was a boat ride around the lake, where they pointed out loons and bald eagles to us and the house that was used for "On Golden Pond". The package also include 2 full breakfasts, one lunch, and a tote bag with the "On Golden Pond" DVD. We watched it last night when we got back and relived a little bit of our last few days (location-wise, not age-wise).

I definitely would like to go back to the Manor, perhaps in winter, and book a room with a fireplace. Hmmm --- maybe Valentine's Day!

4  Thank ILoveRI
Massachusettes
Reviewed January 25, 2005

We stayed at the Manor on Golden Pond and every thing was wonderful. The Inn is beautiful, as is the view, but the service is what made our experience very special. The attention to detail was noticed immediately. The staff was very attentive and warm. We were especially impressed with Carol, but everyone was excellent. We will definitely return. Hopefully the innkeepers will not change a thing.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 20, 2004

We have now had 3 return visits to The Manor- for to us no holiday to New England is complete without a 2 night stay. We are looking forward to yet another visit in December and know we will have a lovely room, good food with true New England hospitality. This is not a hotel or inn it is like a home from home. This hotel is a wonderful experience and one I hope I will get for many years to come.

4  Thank Deneway
Reviewed September 17, 2004

This Inn seems to attract older couples celebrating a special occasion. It is extremely quiet and has kind of an old world, serious feel about it. Big old fireplaces and lots of dark wood in the Main Inn, but not a real hip or upbeat atmosphere. The staff tried hard I felt.

I didn't mind that it isn't directly on the lake, but across the street. If you aren't feeble, you can walk down the big grass hill or driveway to get there, and it is a pretty lake. The beach is small and could feel crowded to share with many others. Since it was mid-week and rainy we had it to ourselves. There is a nice looking pool up on the top of the hill next to the Inn.

Our Cambridge room was nice but the most expensive room I ever stayed in and thought overpriced by about $100. It is a fireplaced, jacuzzi suite in a separate cabin and a short walk from the main Inn. There are 2 suites per cabin which have a campy feel to the construction. The room next to us was empty so I can't comment on the noise. It has a small tv across the room which you can't see great from the bed.

There is an open large jacuzzi just next to the bed. It is surrounded by 3 fully covered mirrored walls, so you either should be the type that works out a lot, or are just very comfortable looking at your body from every possible angle (there is also a shower in the bathroom).

I looked into a standard room as I walked past in the main inn & the rooms do look way smaller than an average hotel room. I would have been disappointed if we stayed in one of those rooms.

Dinner was $30 for any entree choice except one, and was totally overpriced. My husband had several bones in his fish and got food poisoning the next day from his breakfast - eggs benedict. My dinner dinner & breakfast were mediocre.

4  Thank NewEnglander22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Common Man Inn & Spa
#2 of 3 in Holderness
Glynn House Inn
Glynn House Inn
#1 of 2 in Ashland

Been to The Manor on Golden Pond? Share your experiences!