“YES!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Holderness
Stratham, New Hampshire
“YES!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Beautiful location on a small and scenic lake with a variety of lodging options. We chose the motel room, but others in our party had a poolside or lakeside cabin. All were exceptionally well maintained, attractive, roomy and clean. The owners are terrifically hospitable and accommodating. The grounds couldn't be more inviting with a beautiful lawn, pool, swimming beach, kayaks, canoes, paddle boat and rowboat available for exploring the water . You feel like you're On Golden Pond (actually are close by!) listening to or watching the loon family on this lovely lake. Prices are moderate and the flexibility of being able to stay a night or a week makes this a traveler's dream in one of New Hampshire's most gorgeous regions to visit. Great find!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GoGoSenior

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We chose this as a place to stay for a sibling gathering and Loon Cruise on Squam Lake! We were in the area to lean about the Loons of New Hamshire. Little did we know that that we would be treated to watching and listening to White Oaks own Loon family as we sat on the beach , swam, and kayaked!
Carol was very pleasant and helpful. From the first time we talked on the phone, she made me feel like family. Her suggestions for activities in the area were very helpful. We especially enjoyed the hike on Rattlesnake Mountain with its beautiful view of Squam Lake. We had a great meal at Walter's Basin Restaurant.
Thanks Carol for calling to let us know we had left our camera! Gave us a chance to turn around and come back for one last look! We all had a terrific time!

Room Tip: Wonderful place whether choosing an affordable motel room, poolside cottage, or lake front cottage w...
2 Thank Kayakher2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights/3 days. It was an excellent place that I would recommend to any family or friends. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. All the advertised amenities were available. The owners seemed like very pleasant people who were willing to put in extra effort to be accommodating. After making the initial reservation, I inquired about bringing our dog. The WO motel does have pet friendly rooms, but the one we booked happened not to be. One of the owners (Carol) offered another room and eventually even offered to let us keep the dog in the initial room we booked, even though it wasn't necessarily for pets. We ended up kenneling dog for the stay, but this had more to do with our schedule than with considerations about the hotel (although we were informed that pets were not allowed to be left in the room alone, which I consider a perfectly reasonable and understandable policy).

I should add also that the quiet WO pond on which the Motel is located is a relaxing alternative to Winnipesaukee, which can get a little hectic. WO also offers paddled water craft at exceptionally good rates.

This is a really great find for any family wanting to explore the lakes region. We will definitely look forward to future visits.

Room Tip: Cottages look like they are worth a try, but we stayed in motel room which was great for our needs.
3 Thank dma2010
Taunton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 7, 2013

On short notice we decided to head up north for a last minute fourth of July vacation. I was concerned our pickings would be slim making reservations on July 1st. I was pleasantly surprised to find a room available at the White Oaks Motel. I really wanted my seven year old son to experience a simple, old school get away. I couldn't have been more pleased. The aerial view on the website helped sell me.

The location was really convenient, only about 2.5 hrs from Boston, and about 10-15 min off the highway, but far enough to feel like I was in the lakes region. The spot itself is on a pond/lake that doesn't have large motor boats so the beach located on the property is quiet and just lovely. It had everything that a seven year old would love, paddle boats, canoes, a floating dock and sand. We could hardly drag him off the property for dinner and amusements and he actually hugged the beach before we left :)! The other thing is that it is a short drive to Meredith and Weir beach if that is your thing. But we really liked how it felt like the vacations of our childhood, simple and uncomplicated.

One other note, the owners were very friendly and accommodating and readily available for any requests. And our only regret was that we didn't book in time for a lake front cottage. My son made me promise that we would come back again and this won't be a hard promise to keep.
Loriann, Mark and Samuel

Room Tip: Reserve a beachfront cottage if you can, the view is really lovely, but if you can't you have ac...
1 Thank Loriann M
Johnany, Owner at White Oak Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry it took so long for me to respond. We enjoy watching children grow. We are now seeing 3rd generations.
Carol
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just returned from our third bike week and got the same cabin, and as usual Carol was the best. She is so easy to get along with and goes out of her way to keep everyone happy. She makes sure that it remains quiet and peacefull so we can get a good nights sleep after riding all day. She always likes to hear where we ride to and what we've done on our trip. The best this year was her suggestion of going to the Maine coast for lunch. Thanks for everything Carol, see you next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Traveldog4
Johnany, Owner at White Oak Motel & Cottages, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. John and I couldn't do this without our wonderful staff and great customers. We are so happy you enjoyed your ride to Maine. We look forward to seeing you next year for Bike week in your favorite cottage.
Carol & John
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Come up from Florida every year for Bike week. Owners are hard working people who insure that their place stays in great shape. Any reasonable request is met with a smile, and usually granted. Not real easy to please a bunch of bikers. Rooms are spotless and the staff is there to assist you with anything you need. Glad the lady with the dog stayed somewhere else, like she really would have left it in the car all night. Who wants to sleep behind a dog...

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Hardtime01
Thank you for your review. We had a great time visiting with you both. We look forward to seeing you next year.
John, & Carol
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I made a reservation only to have the owner cancel it 4 hours before I checked in with no other rooms in a 20mile vicinity open. The owner canceled when I called and told them I had a dog. The owner specified that I should have made that clear via the reservation system, however it wasn't an option. I was planning to leave my dog in the car overnight with windows open, however was given lecture by owner on not 'being an animal lover'. Owner said she would call back and let me know on wether I could stay but never called back and I had to call. Wouldn't stay here unless you want to deal with a condescending, untrustworth, and inconsiderate hotel owner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank ne_traveler_woods
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holderness
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Holderness
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 13 in Laconia

Been to White Oak Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!