“Excellent,well appointed,beautifully decorated and charming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hillsborough
Stonewall Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Hillsborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This inn has it all! Lovely authentic window treatments, solid wiring and generous clothes hanging space, great food, good company, friendly pets, and the innkeeper graciously led us to our room (which was unnecessary as we always feel "at home" here!

I cannot give this anything but an "Excellent" score, and can see why everyone else on this site has done the same.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zeplady

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Everything here is awesome. Great people, food, and atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Daveandcori
Reviewed July 8, 2012

It seems that this place is the reason for the expression "I don't understand why everyone raves about it." Meg the innkeeper is nice, and she has a large network in the area. I suspect that many good reviews are from friends and family.

I admit that Stonewall Farm is one of the better places to stay in Hillsborough, but that is like saying that a certain rib joint is the best barbecue place in a small Indiana town.

The good reviews prompted me to stay there, but I will select from the wider variety in one of the handful of larger communities within 30 minutes of Hillsborough if I require area lodging again.

I do not expect much service at a B&B but did expect that the innkeeper, who was not assisting other guests when I arrived, would at least escort me to my room rather than just point me up the stairs.

The room itself was clean and was New Hampshire quaint, and the bed was comfortable; further, the bathroom was fine and had adequate towels.

However, the room was not worth nearly its $170 price tag. The "closet space" only consisted of a couple of wire hangers on elementary style cloakroom hooks screwed in the wall behind the door.

Further, only one window had a window shade. The two other windows merely had very flimsy Wal-Mart quality demi-curtains that framed the window but did not close.

Even with the value of the friendly dogs and the equally congenial sheep and a breakfast that was good but did not deserve raves, I really do not see this room rating more than $60/night. I have stayed at many places with much better accommodations and better breakfasts in many more desirable places than genuinely beautiful Hillsborough for less than $170/night.

As a side note, I do like older houses but the apparently '70s era outlets and electrical system caused concern regarding my electronics. I recommend updating the system.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a closet and some form of light blocking window treatments if they ex...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank MAtraveller87
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

I am so sorry that you were dissatisfied with your stay. We try to accomodate everyone's needs. The fact that this home was built in 1785 is the reason that there was not a modern closet in your room. We are trying to keep it as authentic as possible. I did check on the hangers and there were three wooden hangers on the pegs.We have grounding adapters in all rooms and more available upon request if you are using more than one electronic device.The curtains were actually purchased from Country Curtains which is a very well known and high end curtain retailer. As far as not escorting you to your room, I am currently recovering and am trying not to do stairs. The breakfasts...well I am very well known for my breakfasts and presentations and have not had any complaints, only good things. Obviously it is impossible to please everyone all of the time, but has prior to this never been an issue. We host travelers from all over the world and will continue to try to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We needed a chemical-free space and pure food, but experienced so much more. Superb food, the farm with its animals, and wonderful innkeeper. Looking now for opportunities (any excuse) to return to Stonewall Farm.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Searight
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Still in the car on the way back from our wonderful night in Hillsboro at Stonwall Farm. What a beautiful, charming and cozy inn this was. Meg was such a gracious hostess and her breakfast of french toast with warm apples on top was superb! The sheep, chickens and dogs were just an added bonus! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank sfjmm
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Well Dahling!
This weekend was a real “Happening!” Our nephew’s wedding was held at the camp where he and his wife met! This took us to Hillsboro, N.H… with Irene right on our tails!
Friday we drove 7 hours! We arrived at the Stonewall Bed & Breakfast… our housekeeper met us and presented us with our precious rooms…all with crochet antique lace and 4 poster beds!
Then on to the pre wedding B&B- Barbeque and Buffet are laid out on Picnic Tables and all cold drinks in a canoe filled with ice! Then a Bon Fire with singing from guests and smores… to end all smores!
Back to the B&B! Breakfast comes from the gifted hands of our housekeeper and gourmet chef! Meg Curtis… all I can say is… cubed French toast ala Hot 3 Berry topping… and… just in case you need a little more “wow”- Hot Blueberry Muffins that melt in your mouth!
Took the day and “moistened” about some of the small towns- Echhart Farms for free N.H ice cream and great peaches!
Saturday is the wedding! The time is quickly moved up ro beat Irene! But! The sun stayed strong and happy and the skies united the rings- which are delivered by route on green satin ribbons from the top of the aisle, all the way down to the Chuppa!
Sunday is another glorious gourmet breakfast- this time we have fluffy egg soufflé with peach muffins- they also melt in your mouth! – And then some!
Now Irene is really bringing her force to bear… so we decided to stay until Monday –and… that can only mean… yet another breakfast!

Love!
Lynn Dell
Off Broadway Boutique

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank OffBroadwayBoutique
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Some people in the Hospitality business are nowhere near Hospitable. Then there are some people that have that rare ability to make you feel that only in a matter of a few minutes you have connected and have been friends for many years. Meg Curtis of the Stonewall Farm Inn is just one of that rare breed. She makes you feel truly welcome and as if you are family while there. The Inn is warm and comforting and well maintained. You really got the “Inn” feel with the original woodwork and floors but where there was a need to modernize or do a blend of the old and new such as in some parts of the redone kitchen it is so tastefully done. The Inn abounds with Fruit trees and a beautiful setting with farmland an Antique barn and lovely grounds. Meg made us a gourmet breakfast where we sat outside next to her peach tree eating an incredible fresh vegetable omelet, her peaches from the tree with fresh berries and yogurt and perfectly crisped Bacon made in her cast iron skillet. In talking with Meg we had learned about her husband who recently passed away and it is a heartwarming story of their love and her courage to carry on. Meg had asked us if we had seen the Stars that evening and living in the city you see a few but to see the Big Dipper and the Milky Way and its billions of stars was spectacular. I guess you could say we thank our lucky stars for finding a truly memorable place that I cannot wait to go back to. The only mistake I made and will not make again was only staying for one night.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Stonewall Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!