“It's not a deli or pastry shop.”
Review of German John's Bakery - CLOSED

German John's Bakery
Cuisines: German
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is the real deal! The concentration is on bread in the German style, almost all are sourdoughs. There are beer breads, sunflower ryes, walnut ryes, multigrain, whole wheat and a host of others. Don't expect them all to be available on the same day. Call ahead to find out what's going in the oven or, if you have a request, call a couple days before. There are also wonderful pretzels. Don't dare ruin them with mustard, plain or with butter please. There are also streusel, kukin (sp.), marzipan and the occasional torte. A couple of non-German breads do appear. There is a good annadama bread and a less then wonderful Italian bread. As I said above, it is not a deli, but you can get what is called a German lunch. Order a loaf of bread, or some rolls, and a package of liverwurst or the like and they will supply the knife, cutting board, butter and mustard. They will repack anything you have left over. Sometimes they offer soup or bratwurst but that's usually in the off-season when they are not so busy. You have to remember that this is a mom-and-pop shop and things can get pretty hectic if they're busy. I've been coming here weekly mostly during the summer for a number of years now, and I do appreciate the quality of their products. Everything is made from scratch using the best materials. I spent a good many hours sitting with my iced coffee and piece of tort watching the world go by and chatting with whoever. There aren't many of these places left. Visit while you still can. T

1  Thank ALGCromwell
There are newer reviews for German John's Bakery

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Whenever I'm near Hillsborough I stop at German John's Bakery for coffee and their spectacular breakfast pastry. Now wait: This is NOT the sickly-sweet, preservative-laden, three-month-old, factory nonsense that is usually meant by "breakfast pastry." This is homemade--handmade--THAT morning--real food that is among the best that I have ever had.

Yeasty cheese pastries with apricot, pineapple, or cherry and a light sugar glaze. Sweet almond buns. If you're lucky you'll get there just as they come out of the oven. Their breads are wholegrain and just as wonderful. Everything is obviously made with the kind of pride and skill that is becoming a lost art.

The atmosphere--meh. But the food is unforgettable. Do go.

2  Thank CleanWouldBeNice
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Love this little place, well worth a drive to get authentic German bread. Do bring cash. Proprietors are so friendly and helpful.

2  Thank LDWG
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I used to live in NH and would stop by this bakery on my way through Hillsborough. The smell that hit me as I walked through the door was always unbelievably delicious. The owners were always friendly, but busy. I can see how making everything fresh everyday from scratch is a lot of work. I don't know how someone could possibly give the service a poor review because I was always taken care of. One time the female owner went out of her way to explain everything that is in the pastries. She did this so that I could make sure that I could purchase the perfect snack for my vegan friend. The male owner is quite funny. If he comes out of hiding from making pretzels, he always makes some random joke that I have to laugh at.

I now live in Germany and for the past year and a half I have had the pleasure of eating authentic German meals and baked goods. Even the tiniest of towns has a bakery. I came on here to review German John's because after having first hand experience with real German bakeries I can say that German John's Bakery in Hillsborough, NH is the best. Unfortunately, many bakeries here have become chains and their quality has gone down.There are some bakeries that still make goods from scratch and they are the only ones that even come close to the quality at German John's. The food here is excellent!

1  Thank Bearadillo
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Was a customer every Saturday through out the summer. The lady has always been unfriendly, but when my husband asked for a few extra one dollar bills back you would have thought the world was ending! This Saturday I decided I wanted to buy another item after I had paid, handed her a ten and she fought with me for smaller bills. To make matters worse she started talking about me with the other man there before I even left. This place is awful. Sadly this is the only local bakery, a mediocre one at best. I'm never going back.

3  Thank apaul86