“Excellent! Authentic!”
Review of German John's Bakery - CLOSED

German John's Bakery
Cuisines: German
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I used to live in NH and would stop by this bakery on my way through Hillsborough. The smell that hit me as I walked through the door was always unbelievably delicious. The owners were always friendly, but busy. I can see how making everything fresh everyday from scratch is a lot of work. I don't know how someone could possibly give the service a poor review because I was always taken care of. One time the female owner went out of her way to explain everything that is in the pastries. She did this so that I could make sure that I could purchase the perfect snack for my vegan friend. The male owner is quite funny. If he comes out of hiding from making pretzels, he always makes some random joke that I have to laugh at.

I now live in Germany and for the past year and a half I have had the pleasure of eating authentic German meals and baked goods. Even the tiniest of towns has a bakery. I came on here to review German John's because after having first hand experience with real German bakeries I can say that German John's Bakery in Hillsborough, NH is the best. Unfortunately, many bakeries here have become chains and their quality has gone down.There are some bakeries that still make goods from scratch and they are the only ones that even come close to the quality at German John's. The food here is excellent!

1  Thank Bearadillo

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Was a customer every Saturday through out the summer. The lady has always been unfriendly, but when my husband asked for a few extra one dollar bills back you would have thought the world was ending! This Saturday I decided I wanted to buy another item after I had paid, handed her a ten and she fought with me for smaller bills. To make matters worse she started talking about me with the other man there before I even left. This place is awful. Sadly this is the only local bakery, a mediocre one at best. I'm never going back.

3  Thank apaul86
Reviewed July 4, 2013

See title. Outstanding German breads and pretzels. Can't buy anything close to this quality in immediate area.

1  Thank BuffaloNorth
Reviewed April 1, 2013

German John's is known for its pretzels, but don't ask for mustard!! Only unsalted butter is ever used on German pretzels, I'm informed. I tried it, and it was unbelievably good! We love their soft pretzels, which are really an exquisite, slightly sweet breakfast roll, and there are a number of flavors. I'm partial to the almond! If you're driving through the town of Hillsborough, be sure to stop. You won't be disappointed. There are also things imported from Germany, like chocolate, magazines, and at Christmas time, an advent calendar, just to give a sampling.

1  Thank Diane H
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very good selection of German imports as well as John's own delicious baked goods. His Stollen is oustanding an his Pretzels, Wow, brings back many memories

2  Thank Vermonster05101