“Nice atmosphere, good food”
Review of Helling's Slope Side - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hancock, New Hampshire
“Nice atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Menu had a lot of options, service was good. Chowder was excellent. It was a nice spot to catch up with old friends. I would go back.

1 Thank varneykr

New Hampshire
“Always a good meal and a good time”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Helling's is the place we go when we want to dress very causally, relax and have a good meal.
They have a good variety of food that seems home cooked. The atmosphere is welcoming and you feel at home when you walk in. The prices are reasonable and the drinks are good size.

• Visited November 2012
New Boston, New Hampshire
“Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a new restaurant to try last Friday and it was suggested to me from someone at work that we should try this place across from Pats Peak. As we pulled up to the front of the restaurant we noticed the outside was decorated with skiis hanging by the front door as if people just came off the slopes. Nice touch! We were greeted inside by local musicans playing in the bar and were informed that there was a 15 minute wait so we decided to get a drink and listened to the entertainment. We were seated in the dinning room which has the same decor throughout the place old sleds, tools, skates, ect. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive even though it was rather busy. We started with the espinaca dip as our appetizer which we were told is made fresh from scratch. My wife ordered the Salmon special which came with three different sauces that she said was nothing short of amazing. I got the steak tips which I must admit were the best tips I've ever had. We finished with the peanut butter pie which was excellent. If your looking for a very affordable alternative with friendly service and great food than HellingsSlope Side is a place you should check out.

• Visited November 2012
Concord, New Hampshire
“Just OK”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We ate at Hellings last weekend, which is off season (meaning the ski area across the street isn't open). When we arrived, we stood in the entryway (which is really a doorway to the bar area) for a good 5 minutes before the hostess came to greet us. Granted, the bartender had looked up at us & said someone would be with us shortly, so we didn't feel ignored. This was a Friday night, and our 3rd restaurant stop of the evening (other restaurants had 1/2 hour waits). There was no wait at Hellings, though it did seem busy. We got our table, which was way in the back of the restaurant, right next to the door to the kitchen. It wasn't uncomfortable, though the fake balsam lighting along the wall protruded too much and kept me from being able to sit back in my chair. We couldn't pull the table out because then there wouldn't be enough room for the servers to get past us to the other tables.

Our waitress was very busy, and it took her a long time to get to our table. We ordered drinks and an appetizer. Both came reasonably quickly. Our appetizer was a spinach/artichoke dip and it was adequate, though not memorable. More memorable was that our table neighbors had ordered nachos as their appetizer, and we thought it was really funny when the Dad lifted the plate of nachos & literally held it upside down & nothing fell off the plate. I think it had sat in the kitchen for awhile before they got their order. Needless to say, they didn't eat it. We had no such problem with our appetizer though, it was fine.

My husband ordered the meatloaf, which was fine. It had a little spice to it, which he liked. He said the mashed potatoes were great. I had a carne chiminchanga with beef. It was large, but the meat inside was sort of like that steak-ums meat you buy at the grocery. I expected this Mexican dish to be spicy but it wasn't, and the guacamole on top was awful. It was like a paste, maybe, again, like the stuff you can buy at the grocery store that comes in those little packets. My daughter had the chicken tenders (which were excellent. I know because I ate her leftovers when we got home) & her boyfriend had a hamburger, which he said was ok. Both kids said that the french fries were really good.

We had 4 7&7s...the drinks were good; and two sodas. The total bill with tip came to about $95.00, which we didn't think was too bad given the portion sizes, which we felt were generous.

Our waitress was really busy, and not very attentive. Its a small thing that might not bother anyone else, but it really is a pet peeve of mine when a glass is empty at a table, and the waitress doesn't notice or ask if you want a refill when she comes back to your table. We had to stop her as she was walking away to ask for a refill.

The restaurant is really pretty though. Lots of wood, & isolated little sitting areas. The bar is at the entrance & it has bar seating as well as a couple of tables. The restaurant has seating on the first and 2nd floors, and the decor is ski area chic. Its very clean.

Would I go back again? Sure, especially for the burgers, chicken and drinks.

• Visited October 2012
Edmond, Oklahoma
“A good place to eat and to gather with friends.”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Although we came well before the ski season, we had stumbled onto this place for a birthday celebration. My mom in law turned 80, and we needed a place to have a birthday party for 3 of us. We hired a barbershop quartet, and were surprised by the owner's mom, who baked a cake for us! The other consumers clapped along with us as we were enthralled by the atmosphere of food and festivities.

We would like to come back when it is snow season!

• Visited October 2012