“The Hanover Inn should be on your bucket list”

Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hanover
New Canaan, Connecticut
“The Hanover Inn should be on your bucket list”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The newly renovated Hanover Inn is the perfect combination of old New England charm and warmth with all the modern amenities. There are plenty of outdoor, historic, and cultural activities to do in the area but we visit Hanover more than any other place in New England in large part because we know we will be well cared for at the Inn. The positive and friendly attitude of the staff is infectious and sets it apart from most other hotel experiences. Dining at Pine is a real treat - especially if you can sit within view of the fireplace. The drinks the bartender produces are as good as anything in the finer neighborhood places in Manhattan and Brooklyn. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Swimming pool - doesn't exist but there's no n/a option on that list! The workout room is p...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for reaching out and sharing your Hanover Inn experience with us. We are truly touched by your kind words. I will certainly share your warm remarks with our team so that we can continue to provide the exceptional service that you have come to expect. We are grateful for your loyalty to our Inn and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The ambience, warm hospitality, and courteous staff really makes the Hanover Inn a great place to stay. I expect we'll be returning again soon when I take my wife and kids back up to Hanover next year... Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words! We are thrilled that you felt inspired you to share such a glowing review of our property. My staff and I are pleased to know that we met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hanover Inn.
Danbury, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is one of the most tasteful and cozy hotels I've stayed at in years. It has a nice clean gym, courteous staff and very clean rooms with a keurig machine. We had a great time staying at this hotel. The bed was very comfortable. The art work in the hotel were simple but very eloquent and homey. The restaurant downstairs is excellent! We had dinner there one night. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely try the restaurant. No pool or spa.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for sharing your impressions of our Hanover Inn. It brings us great joy to read your positive remarks regarding our amenities, PINE restaurant and accommodations. We will certainly pass along your kind remarks and positive feedback to our staff and Executive chef Justin Dain. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again, as it would be our pleasure to welcome you again.
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 11, 2014

A recent family wedding weekend involved many 'moving parts" and The Hanover Inn handled them all beautifully. Cocktails on the wedding day and Brunch the following day took place in the Hayward Room, a lovely space with granite fireplace, big windows, and a view of the Green. The Wedding Dinner and Dancing were in the Ballroom. This also serves as conference space that looks a bit Spartan in the daylight. By evening, it had been transformed into a simple and elegant party room with the help of Summersweet, the Hanover Inn’s florist. We loved it! Our family was pleased with the wedding’s layout, flow, and “feel”. We expected the wedding food to be fine and it was amazing!! We are still talking about the short rib ravioli, risotto, filet mignon, cupcakes – all perfect. The servers and bartenders were good humored, efficient, and attentive while serving over 200 people. The entire Hanover Inn staff coped graciously with the “exuberance” that 20-somethings bring to a wedding weekend. The pleasant, smiling Front Desk crew couldn't do enough for us. The Inn was immaculate. Our family and friends enjoyed the shiny new hotel rooms and the ease of meeting up with each other in the lobby or Pine, the hotel’s excellent restaurant and bar. Valets (again, smiling) helped us arrive and depart in all kinds of challenging weather. They also worked with a local locksmith for pick up and return of a handicapped guest’s scooter needing repair. The Front Desk promptly mailed items that were left behind so they would arrive in time for the holidays that closely followed the wedding. Room Service made a special breakfast for an elderly wedding guest when she called them, not realizing that is was after breakfast time. One family member said that she felt like we were dropped into a fairy-tale weekend, where everything was just right, from walks on Main Street to the ceremony at Rollins Chapel to the wedding headquarters at The Hanover Inn.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for making us a part of such a momentous occasion. My team and I are truly honored to read such a glowing review of our services and accommodations at the Hanover Inn. Your kind words of praise will be passed along to our staff so they know just how much their efforts were appreciated. Learning that you enjoyed a fairy tale weekend is a wonderful compliment to us all. We can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your warm remarks and no matter the occasion, we hope you'll allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back to our Inn.
Gary, Indiana, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The hotel was fantastic. It was impeccably decorated and all dressed up for the holidays. There was a ginger bread village representing farm to table eating. There were several Christmas trees and also a menorah to celebrate the season.

The room was decorated very well, up to date, and cleaned to a high standard. Ladies will appreciate the thoughtfulness of the toiletries including a Shout wipe and Q-tips. I also appreciated the genius of the black wash clothe designated for make up which made life a lot easier. The front desk staff were so helpful and nice. The doorman was also gorgeous, and a little eye candy never hurts.

• Stayed December 2013
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your beautiful review and photos of our Hanover Inn. We are so pleased we had the opportunity to welcome you this holiday season and we thank you for taking a moment to share your impressions of our holiday decor and ginger bread village. At the Hanover Inn, we understand that our female travelers' needs may differ greatly from our male travelers’ needs so we couldn't be happier to see that our extra details from our q-tips to our wash cloths made such a big difference in your stay. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and we hope you'll plan another visit soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The renovations they've made to this Inn are fabulous. It has a very comfy, preppy, and collegiate feel and keeping the New England atmosphere. Great job. Loved everything except, at the Pines (hotel restaurant) we had to deal with James (I'm pretty sure of his name). He is the creepiest and worst bartender I've ever experienced. It was two nights of terrible service by a creepy creepy man.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mcolt
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing your warm remarks regarding the atmosphere of our historic Inn. While we are humbled by your kind words, it is disappointing to learn of your experience in our restaurant. It is our goal to maintain a high level of quality and guest satisfaction and I'd like to apologize on behalf of our staff if we did not meet your standard or ours.
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I wish I could recommend this hotel, as everything seemed like it was going to be excellent for the first few hours. I soon learned, however, that it's a gamble to stay here in winter. My short review is simple: "Great hotel - DO NOT STAY HERE IN WINTER!" My longer review is a bit more complex:

I had reserved a suite - specifically one that was quiet. Upon check-in, we found we'd been put into a fantastic corner room facing the town square, far away from the hotel's elevators. A quiet night was in store. New Hampshire granite accents in the remodeled bathroom were noticed and appreciated. Our dinner at the hotel's new Pine restaurant was fantastic (with granite slabs at modern hearth)! We had an excellent meal, and up until this point, we could not ask for anything better. Five stars. But then it went downhill, and fast.

Once we settled in for the night, we had the same experience with the heating system as the previous reviewer DavidMontreal. The room got way too hot and *really* dry during the 'on' cycle, and then quickly turned too cool once it turned off. This bothered my wife more than it did me, but a short time after we got to sleep, an alarm clock started going off near the window. As I came fully awake, I realized it wasn't an alarm clock at all - it was the BEEP BEEP-ing of snow plows going in reverse.

I'm actually accustomed to this from living in the northeast most of my life, so once I realized what it was, it wasn't that big a deal. But it sure did sound like a whole fleet of trucks. I fell back to sleep eventually, but then the plows came back for more. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP as they go in reverse, and SSSSCRAPE as they push the snow. It took longer for me to fall asleep this next time. And then they came back again. And again.

Near 2am, I finally reached for the phone and called the front desk. After ringing at least ten times, the phone was answered and I was told that the hotel had no control of the situation. Nor could they move us to another room, because all the rooms had similar issues. In the background of this explanation, I could hear the front desk phone ringing over and over, presumably from another guest hoping for some peace and quiet.

If the alarm clock was accurate, it was some time after 4am when I finally fell back asleep for the last time.

We were up and moving for the next leg of our trip at 6:45. When we checked out, I mentioned my sleepless night to the front desk staff, and they commiserated as if they'd heard this complaint on many occasions. And as if they're trained to give this same explanation, they repeated that the hotel has no control over it, and that there are no quiet rooms when the town clears the streets. They did discount my room price by 25 percent, but truly they should be paying us after the torturous night they provided. I thanked them for the discount nonetheless, and moved on to the next order of business - coffee.

I asked if a valet could bring up our car after breakfast, and if there was a place that we could leave our bags until then. They took our bags at the desk, and we went into the adjacent small dining room for a few cups of coffee and some excellent blueberry pancakes. A short time later I went back to the desk and asked if they could please have our car brought up, and I went sleepily back to the dining room in search of a few last drops of caffeine.

In short order, our car was idling out front. We were 30 minutes into the next leg of our trip before I had awakened enough to check the trunk for our bags... no luck. We turned around and called the hotel to make sure they hadn't loaded them into another car, and they were still holding them for us at the desk. I do realize that I own this mistake, but it would not have happened if I'd gotten a half-decent night's sleep, and I would have appreciated it if they'd have been a little more attentive to this for us, since they knew I wasn't operating at 100%.

The fact is that if I'm near Hanover in late spring through early autumn, I'd definitely return here again as a 5-star stay. But next time I'm back in the winter, I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Don't stay in winter! Snowplows keep you up all night.
Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BurrNJ
Thank you for providing a detailed review of your recent visit with us. On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my heartfelt apologies for the noise disruptions that you had to endure while with us. We understand how important it is for our guests to enjoy a good night's rest and it is unfortunate that this situation was beyond our control. We hope you won't let this singular incident discourage you from booking with us again, as we would like the opportunity to welcome you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Six South St Hotel
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Lebanon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hanover Inn Dartmouth? Share your experiences!