“Very nice hotel in a great location”

Hanover Inn Dartmouth
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hanover
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Hanover Inn for a wedding that was taking place there on a Saturday in August. The Inn is situated in a perfect spot, just across from the Dartmouth College campus--which is beautiful and picturesque--and right on the edge of the town of Hanover, where there are plenty of local shops, restaurants, etc.

When we arrived at the Inn, we were a bit put out to find that valet parking is required; personally we would have preferred to park our own car. Furthermore, if you are using hotel parking, there is a $20 per night fee, which seemed rather excessive given the already-expensive costs we were paying to stay in the hotel itself. Otherwise, the checkin process (at about 5:30 p.m. on a Friday evening) went quickly and smoothly.

Our 4th floor room (410) had a lovely view of the Dartmouth campus. It was spacious, with pub-style seating running across one wall and a table in the corner (no desk or vanity). The bathroom was also very attractive, with a large, tiled walk-in shower. On the other hand, the bath definitely lacked in counter space, even for just two people (quite a bit of space was taken up by a large stand mirror which we did not need). Furthermore, the bathroom lighting was EXTREMELY poor--there was no way I could see properly to apply makeup in that environment. I will say that the complementary products were quite nice, particularly the hair conditioner and moisturizer.

We did not eat at the restaurant, Pine, although we visited the Pine bar on Friday night. Our experience with the bartenders there was pretty awful. First, my husband wanted a pina colada, but one bartender didn't know if they "had all the ingredients" for that. Second, I tried to order a Malibu and pineapple, but one of the bartenders had no idea what Malibu was--the other had to explain that it was a type of rum! We finally settled on having Baccardi and pineapple, but they had no pineapple juice at the bar, so they had to go fetch some specially from the kitchen. All of this, and the bar menu specifically states that the staff is happy to go out of their way to make whatever type of drink you might desire!

So, overall we had a nice stay, but there are some things about this hotel that could definitely use a bit of work, especially with the high cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your constructive remarks, as they are very important to us and to the success of our Inn. We do truly regret if an area of your stay fell short of your expectations. We wish to provide superior service at every turn and apologize if our bartenders were unable to serve you and your husband with the drink you most desired on the Friday evening of your stay. Please rest assured that we are passing this review along to our restaurant management. We want our guests to not only enjoy the best possible experience while with us, we want our guests to consider the Inn to be of value which is why we offer a number of packages with special rates and complimentary amenities on our website. We hope you'll take a moment to visit our savings page, as we would like the opportunity to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at the Hanover Inn while attending a family wedding and were very pleased with our room. The bed was comfortable and the sheets, pillows and duvet good quality. All hotel staff were courteous and the valet staff was efficient and always offered help with directions. We had breakfast one morning and the food was well prepared and beautifully presented. We would love to return and stay again, given the opportunity.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your weekend visit with us. It was a true pleasure to accommodate you while you were in town for a wedding. We are sincerely grateful for the level of detail that you've provided regarding your experience, as we are always pleased when we can provide our guests with high quality service and a favorable experience. Thank you for your kind review and we hope you'll have the opportunity to visit the Hanover Inn again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Had not stayed here in years, fantastic renovation has made a very stylish and chic hotel. Superb location. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful. We enjoyed the bar very much and had a great dinner at Pine. Would definitely stay here on future trips.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your loyalty in our Inn. We are pleased we had the opportunity to welcome you back to experience our newly renovated property and we thank you for sharing your encouraging words with us. It was a pleasure to welcome you again. We are blessed to have loyal guests such as yourself and we look forward to your future trips to the Hanover Inn.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Hanover Inn is in such a good location and the recent renovation helped the property in many ways. However, there are several issues that I must address in this review regarding my recent stay. As a hotelier myself, I apologize for such detail in this review, but the following must be said. The hotel should feel free to contact me for more information regarding my stay and review.

• The labels on the telephones in the guest rooms need to be updated. For example, now that the PINE restaurant has opened, the button should say PINE, not "Signature Restaurant." There should not be a button for housekeeping if calls are directed to the Front Desk. Second, the Weather button just connects the guest to an automated weather line that is annoying, confusing, and embarrassing for the hotel. Guests should be able to call the Front Desk to get the forecast, if requested. Third, there should not be a button for Small Restaurant. Just my suggestion because it is only open for 3 hours per day and was never answered when I called. After 20 rings, it rolled over to PINE, which I did not want.

• The Front Desk Agents are extremely unhelpful. I called to ask for a listing of radio stations to listen to music on the Tivoli Audio Table Radio in the room, and the response I received was, "Why can't you go online yourself sir and see what's available? It is not that hard and I do not have the time to help you." They also do not know about basic amenities in the rooms, either because they are not trained, or they do not care about the guest. This is utterly disgusting.

• When I requested sheets for the pull-out sofa in the suite, what was delivered were two blankets covered in urine stains. When I called the Front Desk, I spoke to Nicole Lapointe, Guest Services Manager. She did not apologize and did not seem to care. As the Guest Services Manager, she should be responsible for all service recovery and clearly she is not fulfilling her job; during the day, she acts as a doorman outside and looks at her phone. A half hour later, a clean blanket and sheets were delivered and made. Housekeeping needs to be thoroughly trained in checking linen before it is delivered to a room.

• There is no TV system in the hotel. If I recall correctly, there was one in the hotel prior to the renovation. I called the Front Desk to inquire about a TV system in the hotel, and they did not know what I was talking about. I then went on to ask how a guest can rent a movie in the room. They told me they would have Engineering install a DVD player in the room, but then I would need to go down to the lobby and see the available movies. The hotel should consider NXTV as a TV system to allow for guests to have a much better entertainment experience in the room.

• In PINE restaurant, I have no issues to report. Both the service and food quality is excellent. Mikey is a great waiter.

• There is no iPod hookup for the Tivoli Audio Table Top Radio in the room. The Hanover Inn should not require guests to go out of their way to go to an electronics store to purchase such a basic cable to connect their iPod/iPhone to the device. They should have it already connected to the device so the guest can have a more fulfilling entertainment experience.

• There is no mini bar in the room. This should be addressed and corrected promptly. A guest should not have to order through In-Room Dining if simply ordering a beverage or snack.

• There are not enough amenities in the bathrooms. They are not even replaced or replenished daily by Housekeeping. Major issue here.

• There needs to be less non-dimmable fluorescent lighting in the rooms. Additionally, the excessive LED lighting is a little much and makes the rooms and public spaces look "too white." There is only a dimmer in the bathrooms and in order to have a complete turndown experience, the lights must be dimmed. The Hanover Inn management team should consider putting dimmers on the lamps. Additionally, the hotel needs to re-address the whole lighting program in the rooms and suites as there are switches that turn off a whole lamp, including the outlet on the lamp. For example, if a guest is charging their mobile phone via the lamp outlet, when the wall switch is turned off, the phone will stop charging. This may require replacing all the lamps in the hotel, but this must be corrected.

• "Small Restaurant" needs to be expanded somehow. I know this would require losing lobby space, but there is simply not enough space in the hotel to have a 3 hour breakfast service for so many guests during the Inn's busiest weekends. Perhaps this should become a banquet space, and breakfast should only be served on The Terrace or PINE Restaurant.

• The house phones in the elevator landings on each floor do not work. I personally went to each floor to check the phones and each one displayed, "Enter ConfigID." I asked the Front Desk about this, and the response was that it is a work in progress and it stopped a few weeks ago. This is a safety concern as guests may need to call the operator if there is a security issue on the floor. Please address and correct this as soon as possible.

These issues are not holding me back from this amazing location, and some friendly staff members. I will certainly be back in hopes that some of the issues that I have expressed in this review are resolved.

2  Thank luxtraveler04

Thank you for sharing your impressions and concerns with us. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize if any areas of your visit fell short of your expectations. We value your honest feedback and have taken good note of these concerns. We are disappointed and saddened to learn that your stay was not reflective of the high standards guests have come to expect from us and strongly encourage you to reach out to us directly so we can further discuss your experience. We hope we’ll have the opportunity to speak with you further. Thank you.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed for 1 night at this lovely hotel. We were picking up ur kids from a nearby camp, and decided to come up the afternoon before and enjoy a night away. The hotel is very centrally located. The town is very Dartmouth oriented and we both enjoyed seeing all the shops and college town hang-outs. Check in was easy after valet parking. Our room was great! 2 very comfy queen beds, a modern bathroom with a great shower. Our room had a view of the downtown. We shopped for a while, then changed for dinner at Pine, the signature restaurant of the inn. Very lovely meal! We then walked a block or so to catch a 9pm movie in the quaint theater. We both slept wonderfully. Very quiet accommodations. We had a light breakfast before checking out and heading to fetch the kids at camp. I will be repeating the process next summer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hanover Inn. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests and learn of their time at our Inn. It seems like you really made the most out of your one-night stay and we truly appreciate you dining with us at our PINE restaurant. Thank you for sharing your lovely remarks regarding our accommodations and central location right in the heart of quaint Hanover. We look forward to welcoming you back next summer.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

A beautifully styled, elegant yet informal place. They've kept some of the old, more rustic, traditional decor (exosoed wood, Shaker pieces, Dartmouth photos) but the overall feel is modern and fresh. Great service as well. A unique place, and one of my favorite hotels I've stayed in in a long time. Stay here if you visit Dartmouth, it's worth it.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It truly touches our hearts to know that we have become one of your favorite properties. When renovating our Inn we wanted to ensure that we stayed close to our roots while still offering all of the modern conveniences to our guests. We greatly appreciate and treasure reviews such as yours and hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back again.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

WOW!
Every detail has been looked at, measured and delivered! Frank at the front desk was as professional, helpful and courteous as anyone I have ever talked to while getting a room. The Valet Attendants were all very helpful and my car was packed better than I could!
Not only was our breakfast great, but I would stop by there just to eat! Great bed, great view and great people!
We will be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your glowing review, as we are pleased to have become your new favorite hotel in the area. We have fretted over every detail of our property to ensure a luxurious experience for our guests and truly appreciate that you've shared your words of admiration. We will pass along your remarks to our staff and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hanover Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Six South St Hotel
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#2 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hanover Inn Dartmouth? Share your experiences!