“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hanover
Gainesville, Florida
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I visited Dartmouth on business and was booked into the Hanover Inn. This is a newly refurbished hotel, overlooking the campus. Really sleek inside, room was a good size with very comfortable bed, large TV, new bathroom. The breakfast delivered to my room was delicious! Would recommend the Hanover Inn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Whether you're in town on a business trip to the college or for a leisurely getaway to the Upper Valley, we strive to deliver all of the creature comforts to make the Hanover Inn at Dartmouth your home away from home. We're grateful for your compliments regarding our guest accommodations and in-room dining. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future, thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
La Quinta, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

The staff is so friendly and polite. It feels like it is brand new from their recent remodel. I don't know why anyone would put this place on blast, unless my standards are not as high as theirs. But when a friendly bell hop guy valets my car and opens the hotel door for me with a smile, and the front desk people are so courteous and helpful with a smile, and the room is immaculate and the bed very, very comfortable, I'm not sure there's much to complain about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are so pleased that you experienced a warm and inviting atmosphere from the moment you pulled up to the Hanover Inn at Dartmouth. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our recently renovated guest accommodations, we're glad you found them comfortable. Your kind review means a great deal to us and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were touring New England and got desparate for somewhere to stay on a saturday night . So we landed at the Hanover Inn . Recently refurbished in a modern minimalist style . Which was fine . But the room was small , overlooking the back roof with noisey air con units . Just not what you expect for a $400 room . In all honesty you would be safer at a Hilton or Hampton suites and award yourself a dinner upgrade and a good bottle of wine with the money you would save .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alistairbudd
While we strive to deliver world-class service and accommodations, it is extremely important that our guests consider our inn to be a value. We deeply regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and wish we had the chance to change your impression. Our guests are encouraged to reach out if there is anything we can do to improve their stay. Whether it be a request for additional towels or different accommodations, it is our top priority to ensure you enjoy your visit. We greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts and hope you'll consider returning in the future so we may impress you in every way.
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

This Inn is undergoing a remodel.. Ask for a room not overlooking construction. The hotel is clean and has great maid service and great waitpersons in the restaurant.
The desk people are helpful and the doormen are not concierge, but bellmen. SO, research activities before you arrive., e.g. bus tours etc. The binder in the room has some information re activites which might be booked. The two wooden (only) chairs in the room, could use cushions
I can easily recommend breakfast in the small dining room but NO other meal. The Inn seems to need a new chef. The gnocchi I had was almost warm and the mushrooms we were tasteless and most resembled what I can only imagine what a microwaved sponge would be like. The gnocchi's Italian ham was tough, stringy and also somewhat spongy.

Room Tip: Room away from contruction
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank donnie55
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We are in the third and final phase of extensive renovations which will bring additional guest rooms, a fitness center and our signature restaurant to our inn. We greatly appreciate your patience during the remodel as well as your constructive feedback regarding your guest experience. It is truly disheartening to learn that your dining experience with us left you dissatisfied. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience and invite you to dine in our restaurant during your next stay, so that you can experience the quality cuisine our inn is known for delivering. Thank you for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Topsham, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We live in Maine, and the Hanover Inn is a perfect overnight or weekend getaway! We were very pleased with the newly-renovated rooms with top-notch amenities, and the staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Not an inexpensive stay, but we felt it was well worth it! The valet parking was quick and efficient.

Room Tip: Ask for a campus view room (small extra charge) - better views are from rooms above the 2nd floor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
How wonderful that you enjoyed a getaway at the nearby Hanover Inn at Dartmouth! We're thrilled you found our newly renovated guest accommodations pleasing and that our staff provided warm, attentive service. We invite you to visit our website before booking your next stay for a list of packages that often include complimentary amenities and other special values. Thank you for your review, we hope to welcome you back soon.
southern california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed for two nights courtesy of Dartmouth where I was giving a public lecture. I was put in a smaller room on the end towards the alumni gym. The renovations are beautiful and my king bed was comfortable. However it was hard to overlook the fly infestation in the room there were a number of black flies coming into the room and clinging to the windows outside the room.
I mentioned this to the front desk and they did not have a comparable room to put me in. There was also a ball of dirty hair on the floor of my bathroom when I checked in. Another issue was that the temperature controls were not calibrated - I had it set at 73 degrees and the AC was putting it more at around 67-68 F. Fortunately I liked to sleep in a cold room but would have preferred better temp control. Room service was prompt although there was a mistake in my order and I had to send it back - however it was corrected quickly. My room may have been over the kitchen because at lunch time a noticeable smell of cooking meat (e.g. hamburgers) pervaded my room.

The fitness facilities for the hotel are not finished however I was given free passes to the alumni gym where I was able to work out. This is a large facility with a huge fitness center and reasonable size lap pool. Unfortunately the alumni gym is not well run with regard to hotel guests - I got about 5 different stories of what I was supposed to do when I got there and they even cut my lock off one of the lockers and left me without any clothes or towel in a wet bathing suit while I tried to figure out how to get my belongings. Apparently I was not supposed to use my own lock however they neglected to mention this during any of the 5 differing instructions nor was there any signage in the locker room to indicate that using a personal lock was forbidden. I think the hotel and the gym need to get their policies firmly fixed and put into writing explicitly so that the guests using the gym know how things work there and are not treated like a criminal unnecessarily.

I routinely stay at full service business hotels (Hilton, Hyatt, Westin) and this place has a lot of rough edges that need to be ironed out before it is going to consistently get decent reviews. For the prices they charge I would suggest to consider other options. You can get into the gym for $10 per day so there is still a way to use the Dartmouth fitness facilities without staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: avoid the flies if you can
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
While we appreciate your kind mention of our renovations we are truly saddened to learn that your stay with us missed the mark in many ways. Each of our guests are extremely important to us so it is regrettable if any time during your stay you felt this may not have been the case. Should an insect sighting occur, the instance is reported and investigated to rule out any possible issue.Please accept our apologies for any lack of clarity on hotel guests use of the off-site gym facilities, we will share your comments with our management team to make sure clear and consistent information is given to future guests. Our maintenance staff was aware of your concern regardingin-room temperature controls and are looking into the matter. We are grateful that you shared your experience with us and hope you'll consider a future stay with us so that we may change your impression.
Worcester, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

but I wasn't able to. Can't get past the high room cost coupled with no parking, inconsistent housekeeping (no toiletries one day, no washclothes another), lack of restaurant, etc. and then a big argument between another patron and the front desk attendant when checking out. Why do I have to physically check out anyways?? And I don't understand the bell staff in Tom Huck outfits .... the decor did have a bit of SHaker feel to it, but decidedly modern overall...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Carol S
HanoverInn, General Manager at Hanover Inn Dartmouth, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Our hope is to deliver a truly exceptional guest experience to each person that passes through our doors. We deeply regret that yours did not reflect this and wish we had the opportunity to address your concerns when it mattered most. We extend our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced and appreciate your patience as we prepare to unveil our new restaurant. Your feedback will be shared with our management team to ensure that we are at our best for our guests, thank you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Six South St Hotel
#3 of 7 in Lebanon
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Hanover Inn Dartmouth? Share your experiences!