“Sarah Sets The Bar--literally, and figuratively!”

Jesse's Steak and Seafood
Ranked #6 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Kids, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lebanon, New Hampshire, United States
“Sarah Sets The Bar--literally, and figuratively!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I moved to the Upper Valley in late 2006 from California (I lived in LA & SF for over 20 years) and always turned away from going to Jessie's as I was completely turned off by the log cabin style architecture along with the name of restaurant which included tavern, seafood and steak. Taverns are definitely not my thing. Seafood...well, I like it raw. And steak? Well, not my thing at all. Finally, after being nudged by two friends who highly recommended it and frequent Jessie's, my partner and I decided to go over the summer. Well, were we ever blown away. WOW!

First off, we seek out restaurants with a very specific criteria. Musts for us are: a bar that we can sit at to both drink and eat; great reviews; a hip or unique atmosphere including interesting people to meet and socialize with; a big HDTV or two with sports (big sports fans here); oysters; a creative and, ideally extensive, martini menu that includes large, full and strong cocktails; food that is delicious; and, most importantly, A-MA-ZING service. Service is absolutely key. There's a lot of hideous service out there and way too much mediocre--especially around here. Well, we were absolutely blown away. One word: SARAH!

Sarah has absolutely set the bar for all bartenders--period. And really, anyone in the service industry in my opinion. She's exactly what we look for when we go out. She is sassy, smart, beautiful (with great hair!), a mind like a steel trap, personable, sociable, funny, has bionic ears, makes THEE best drinks ever, remembers our drink and food history, and texts us with her most recent vodka infusions and any 'special' oysters that may have come in that day. She's done a number of other things for us that are extraordinary, but I dare not say what they are, as I don't want the whole world to expect the same. Honestly, most customers out there couldn't truly appreciate what Sarah offers. I can't say enough great things. Plus, she has two little minions (they're really young, attractive men) by her side that are nice bookends. Just know that Ms. Sarah's in charge--always.

In closing, plan ahead. This place is packed everyday that they are open. I have never seen so many people come through a restaurant's doors. Thankfully, it's a big place, but you'll still have to wait. Be warned that their 'tater tots' are made with crack...their oysters are the best we've had. I just wish they did sushi!

Bon Appetit!

• Turkish first
Huntsville, Alabama
“Good Food, good service, but expensive”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The title says it all. The hotel clerk recommended this place as being only 1/2 mile away. (it sits between Hannover and Lebanon.) My wife had a steak that was very thick and nicely cooked. I opted for the fish. Both meals were of adequate quantity, we filled up without adding a bar for $5.99 or desert. The main reason I opted out of the salad bar is it looked pretty mediocre except for the all you can eat mini-shrimp. The atmosphere was really nice (lots of heavy beams) with privacyh provided by tables located on several different levels separated by stairs. (Watch out if that would be a problem for you.) Service was good. The prices are boosted for the quality of the food however, as the atmosphere is mostly informal.

West Lebanon, New Hampshire, United States
“best service ever!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Bartender Sarah is the go to girl for fast service with a smile, laugh and knowledge. Her creative drinks are delish!!!! She knows my gluten free dietary restrictions and offers suggestions on the menu! If she is not sure she'll ask the chef. Just had succulent scallops and asparagus! YUM!!! And the awesome live music helped make the evening wonderful! Thank you Sarah and Jesse's!!

Houston, Texas
“No wonder it's mobbed”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Had 6:30 pm reservations on a Saturday during fall color season. Arrived at 5:45 and could not move our reservation up. They were that crowded. Good reason. Excellent food, friendly and competent servers (ours was Beth), a no-rush atmosphere once seated, and good value. You can add an all-you-can-eat salad bar to your meal for a nominal price, and it is excellent with a great selection including boiled shrimp. The bar was packed, but you could order appetizers while you waited. I had the large prime rib and it was cooked perfectly. I understand they have been in business for 30+ years, and it is easy to tell why. It is an institution in Hanover and well worth any wait.

West Brookfield, Massachusetts
“Good choice”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went there because we were told the prime rib was the best around but unfortunately at 7:00 on a Sunday night they were all out. So I opted for the filet and it was very tender. My companion ordered a Nantucket seafood gratin which he said was very good, just not enough. New England clam chowder was excellent. Nice atmosphere. Our server Rachel did a good job and was very attentive. Salad bar can be added to entrée for $5.95 but we opted not to.