“Fun family outing at this restaurant”

Candela Tapas & Lounge
Ranked #12 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Watkinsville, Georgia
“Fun family outing at this restaurant”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had a family gathering there recently. We all enjoyed sharing the food items. We thought the price was quite reasonable for our group of 7. We ate many different dishes and enjoyed all of them. One of our family is a vegetarian/vegan and he found plenty to eat. We will definitely go back again.

• Visited November 2013

Seal Beach, California
“Great tapas in Hannover”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

We had one of everything on the menu and they were all great
Scallops were wonderful
My favorite was the asparagus
The cheese plate was fantastic

• Visited October 2013
Montpelier, Vermont
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have eaten at a number of tapas restaurants in the US. I think that I have developed reasonable expectations for tapas (stateside, at least). That said, Candela has portion sizes and prices that made it clear to me that they know they are the only game in town in Hanover.

Everything we ate, with the exception of the rather odd minced ceviche, was good, and we had an enjoyable meal, but nothing that was great. The service was attentive and friendly, even after the restaurant began to get busy, though it appears that they still may have a few kinks to work out after opening this summer. We received our second dish before we received our first drink. Having worked in restaurants, I am sympathetic, and not someone who gets hung up on little details of service unless they become a major disruption to the meal. We soon forgot about our slow bar service, particularly after our second drink was brought quickly.

We ordered the ceviche, a seared tuna special, scallops, asparagus crostini, and a vegetarian special dish. The scallops were excellent, but just 2 scallops for 13.50? The two vegetarian dishes were good, but lacked that multi-depth of flavor that one hopes for when mixing sauces and cooked vegetables. The ceviche was minced so fine that you could hardly tell what you were eating. I have eaten ceviche diced into cubes before, but always with enough there that you could tell what it was. We love a chance to get ceviche, but were disappointed. The tuna was good, nothing to write home about, but was thankfully a larger portion than the other dishes, which were mostly small, even for tapas.

For drinks, I ordered a mojito and drank it in about three swallows. After that I switched to beer. My wife had sangria and enjoyed it.

For a $120 meal for the two of us, I hope to have at least a couple of dishes that I really enjoy. Apart from the scallops, which were gone before we knew it, there was not one dish that would crack the top 100 tapas dishes I've had. But, if you are in Hanover and want tapas, this is the place.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank microfilmer
New Hampshire
“Interesting variety, but bring your earplugs”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

There's a nice variety of "small plates" comprised of unusual combinations, mostly meat with some seafood and fowl. Chorizo was very dry, hard and surprisingly bland. Scallops were cooked just right, and came with an interesting sauce, but it too lacked flavor. Wait staff was wonderful! Ambiance is "neighborhood trendy". Noise level from the 98% Dartmouth student crowd was unbearable... actually painful. Might try again mid-week when less crowded.

• Visited September 2013
Hartford, Vermont, United States
“Must try”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Enjoyed a fabulous Mojito, sipped a very nice Rum and the small plates are well flavored and with a nice variety to make everyone happy. Nice friendly service. Must make a reservation!

• Visited August 2013