“Excellent food, relaxed but lovely setting”
Review of Pine

Pine
Reserve with OpenTable
Pine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in scenic Hanover NH, across from the Dartmouth Green, PINE is an American restaurant incorporating a farm-to-table philosophy, utilizing the bounty of ingredients available in and around New England. Created by acclaimed Chef-Restaurateur Michael Schlow, PINE features approachable, well-executed dishes that focus on local and sustainable New England products. The kitchen is run under the watchful eye of talented chef, Justin Dain.
“Excellent food, relaxed but lovely setting”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Really good meal in a lovely yet informal setting. I'm not sure why other reviewer thought trying to be too many different things?

Liked the bar in particular--great bartender who asked me what kinds of drinks I liked and saiid, "let me make you something"... And I now have my new favorite cocktail!

• Visited August 2013

White Plains, New York
“Elegant, delicious”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Lovely decor, fine service, fabulous scallops. I was part of a large group and the seating was a bit awkward (two long tables), but we all enjoyed our meals and cocktails. Waiter was a bit forgetful, but I think that was due to the large group. Things were quickly corrected.

Visited July 2013
Paris, France
“Nice setting, good food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Went spur of the moment for dinner on a very crowded night and given the circumstances had a good experience. First, the restaurant despite being full was not overbearingly noisy! A major plus right there. The food for the most part was good though the service was mixed. Ate at the bar which actually was comfortable thanks to the wide and uncrowded surface and fabulous service from the bartender. Where service fell apart was the kitchen getting backed up. Still, had a good dinner out of appetizers. Oysters, grilled squid, salads were all very fresh and delicious. Steak tartare is not the classic French version--this one contains too many capers and seemed unduly adulterated. Still, it was worth a try. Others at the bar were happy with their meals as well.

As for decor, it is a nice change from the old school dining room feel of former version but not wild about the juxtaposition of rustic barn wood with the original Palladian windows of the inn. Main improvement is that the table areas feel more intimate now. Maybe nice for lunch.
As an aside, the interior redo of the inn feels very forced, like trying too hard to be hip.

Will try again though not sure that a full sit down meal would feel as satisfying as an impromptu meal at the bar.

• Visited July 2013
Salem, Massachusetts
“Great Dinner, Wonderful Service, Nice Wines!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was here on business. I was happy to see a nice selection of wines by the glass and tables for two that didn't make me feel like it was inconvenient to serve me. The selection was great. There were several vegetarian entrees – always nice to see since I have so many vegetarians in my family! I had the grilled calamari with white beans – absolutely fantastic! The entrée was a shrimp over pasta. There was a bit too much garlic for my taste, and the pasta “gummy”, but he shrimp was expertly prepared and delicious. The décor was great – lots of wood, glass and fire. It was a nice evening.

• Visited July 2013
DomPasqual
“Poor service, food OK”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Over all, the food was decent and the restaurant is beautiful. There were some flaws:

- A small stone in the lentils
- The cannelloni was too salty.
- Although it was nice that the manager spoke to us personally to explain that they had run out of an entree, it was still fairly early in the evening to have run out and it was the only vegetarian option on the menu.

The service:
- We had to wait a long time to order
- The tables was not cleared between courses creating great clutter
- The wait person did not offer us second drinks, nor did he ask us if we wanted coffee after the meal
- Also, to promote their opening, the restaurant had coupons on their website for a free dessert with every entree. We printed out the coupons but left them at home. At first, the wait person pretended that the there were no such coupons. When we described them, he simply refused to extend to us the courtesy of the complimentary dessert, something that would have inspired customer loyalty.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DomPasqual

Been to Pine? Share your experiences!