“The blackboard is more important than customers, really?”
Review of Market Table

Market Table
Ranked #16 of 39 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner every day and Sunday Brunch
Venice, Florida
“The blackboard is more important than customers, really?”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were taken to Market Table for a special retirement dinner before a performance at the HOP; our reservations were for 5 pm. We arrived only slightly early and were warned we could not order til 5. We said "fine, we'll have a drink" and were seated. Our waiter offered us the drinks and dinner menus and came back fairly promptly to take our drink orders and brought them within a reasonable time. He then jumped on a nearby banquette and spent 15-20 minutes erasing and replacing yesterday's menu. Finally our host for the evening walked over to him and said we had a performance to attend and to please take our order. In a few minutes he jumped down from the banquette and took our food order blaming the chef for his tardiness in creating the menu AND the poor penmanship on his notes so the specials were difficult for him to read. We waited. In the interim, baskets of bread and meals were being taken to the patio. My husband stopped another waitress and asked for bread (it was going on 45 minutes). In 5-8 more minutes she brought room temperature bread to us (it is unclear why it took so long). Our food did arrive, the small portions were pleasing since the bakery looked tempting, and it was delicious, particularly my orecchiette with peas and cream. But the well prepared food did not overcome that our server's priority of correcting the dinner specials on the blackboard--was he the only one who could write? This is a restaurant who serves lunch, what happened in the hours between? Finally, in taking our dessert order and bringing our check, our waiter doubled his charm effort to protect the tip he hardly earned. We felt terrible for our hostess who was mortified that our special dinner was a lesson in frustration. I am sure none of us will return despite the quality of the food.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank vtaddington

Norwich, Vermont
“Recommended Fish and an Eton Mess”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am surprised at the number of comments about the poor service and the snootiness of the staff at Market Table. A friend and I ate here last night and found neither. We were seated promptly and courteously. Our waiter was professional, attentive, and knowledgeable about the menu.

A basket of good multi-grain bread and tasty, herbed focaccia was brought to our table immediately on being seated. At the same time, water was supplied in a large Corona-style bottle. Despite a limited number of entrees on the menu, it was offset by a fair number of imaginative specials. As fish dishes are highly recommended here, I chose the halibut special, served with a black bean, avocado, and tomato salad, but also ordered whipped parsnip puree on the side. Delicious, if you love parsnips as much as I do! My companion ordered the salmon entree, but he was not enthusiastic about the vegetable accompaniment of mainly cabbage. Both entrees and side dish, however, were topped attractively with a sprinkling of micro-greens.

I was delighted to see Eton Mess, an old English favorite, on the dessert menu. Often served with just berries, this version included rhubarb, strawberries, and marscapone with the usual meringue and whipped cream. It was also served attractively in a wide-rimmed champagne coupe (glass), garnished with an edible viola flower. This was the perfect ending to our meal, along with some excellent, strong coffee.

We were the last to leave Market Table, but none of the staff showed any sign of impatience to get rid of us on this wet, rainy evening. On a warm, sunny day, it would be delightful to sit outside on the patio and have a leisurely meal.

• Visited June 2013
“Good food; terrible service.”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We were the first people for Sunday brunch and waited 10 minutes to be able to have that rather than the regular breakfast menu. After 50 minutes of sitting unattended, we were about to leave when one of the regular waitstaff (who was so hungover that he could barely talk) admitted that he had failed to trade off our table with a fellow server (a person who plays the role of manager - a regular, too).
This experience followed a dinner there two nights before which lasted almost two hours because of bad service. These are not kids, but they surely act said they are or have no concern about their longevity in the business. I will never return until they no longer work there.

• Visited May 2013
“Horrible!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

This place has a pretentious way of treating customers. They lost my reservation, turned my party away in a per-concert time crunch and the staff totally rude and unhelpful assisting our group. I had called 6 days in advance and they got the time wrong. I went back to the restaurant later and spoke to the front staff. They wouldn't get me a manager to talk to but looking at their reservation page my name was clearly listed as the first reservation if the day even though they denied us our table.
I will never visit this restaurant again and discourage all of my work colleagues and neighbors from subjecting themselves to this place.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tom_0679
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Fresh and fun”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I had lunch on the patio on a lovely spring day. The menu was small but great options. They were more than happy to take one of the raps and make it into a salad for me. Our server was friendly and timely. Great job Market Table, we'll be back.

Visited April 2013