“nice hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hanover
San Francisco, California
“nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

The decor is, as others have commented, on the self-consciously stylish side of things, which a person might like or not, depending. Nice clean big rooms, well appointed bathrooms, nice selection of soaps and shampoo choices. The closet is very small, and no bathrobes provided, but the towels are quite nice. Sheets average, not special. I give five stars because the hotel is what it means to be, not because it's super luxurious--but a good experience in every way for me.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jhpac
ssshanover, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We very much appreciate your feedback and 5 star rating ! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Comments like yours go a long way in keeping our staff and ownership focused on you the customer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Seal Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

For parents visiting kids at Dartmouth, this is a great place to stay. Walk around campus - we were there for the gorgeous fall leaves on the most beautiful Ivy League campus. We met my son and friends in the modern but comfortable bar. The bed was great. Room temperature worked well so we slept well. Pricey but this is Hanover and we took the Dartmouth coach from Boston Logan airport. So we did not have to rent a car. Good coffee in the morning and all day.

Room Tip: King beds are worth the bump in price
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sealbeachtraveler
ssshanover, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thanks very much for your review and thank you for highlighting what a great place Six South is for parents of Dartmouth students coming to visit. Indeed, our downtown location is ideal and conveinent. Once here, you don't need a car....you can walk to campus, great restaurants, the movie theatre or specialty shops. We're glad you found us !
East Montpelier, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

The hotel's exterior is truly dull, but lobby, restaurant, and rooms are all rather striking. It's a hip, metro look quite far from the conservative New England style that you might think of for Hanover and the Upper Valley. I thought the spatial decisions, color choices, and furnishings worked well in most instances but I would note that it won't take many years for someone somewhere to be very embarrassed about picking the bold figures in the hallway carpeting.

The rooms themselves were well decorated and wisely laid out for a feeling of spaciousness. Good business touches like password-free wifi and a desk plus a laptop-friendly sofa table. Bring your iThing--there's a dock. The bathroom features a gorgeous step-right-in shower in the European style. Good bathroom lighting, but the room itself sticks you with task lighting so the place never feels fully illuminated, though each focused spot is lit pretty well. The desk light, though, is actually woeful.

Nice linens, good temperature control in the room, and spit-shine cleanliness. My room overlooked South Street which is not exactly bustling at night so it's not much of a test, but I had no noise problem.

The location is excellent--you can walk right into Hanover's lively business district or make a fairly short trek to the Dartmouth campus. But the town of Hanover is not happy about cars. For reasons unclear to me, you cannot park overnight on the streets. The hotel's valet parking is convenient, and the attendant was promptly on the scene when I drove up, but I didn't like the sound of eighteen bucks for a roof over my car. On the same side of the street, just east of the hotel, is a public parking garage that kept my car overnight for $1.50. Hope this bit of info makes my review worthwhile for you.

The staff was cheerful and helpful from check in to check out. I liked the mood of the place, and felt well taken care of. I particularly appreciated the happy-to-help attitude from the valet. Finally, you really can't go wrong with a cookie and coffee on arrival. Good job, Six South.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ssshanover, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you very much for the very thoughtful and positive review. We're so glad that you "felt well taken care of"....... as that is our #1 goal here at Six South. Hope your travels bring you back to our hotel soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

On a recent trip to Dartmouth, I stayed at the Sixth South. Just what I needed, great comfy room, peace and quiet and excellent dining at the ready. I have never stayed at the "alternative" up the street but for my two cents - why bother. The locale is just off the main drag with much better access without the foot and other traffic. The staff is attentive and helpful without being obtrusive. The amenities were excellent - great bathroom layout, hi-res TV with cable essentials, and the wi-fi was responsive and easy. Loved the breakfasts with excellent healthy fare plus the usual eggs galore if tempted. In short, this is a near perfect property that offered me the base of operation that I needed with very little fuss. Only one question: What's not to like. Also kudos to the dinner staff for likewise service and excellent food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike A
ssshanover, Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thanks so much for the high praise ! Your positive feedback made many people smile here at Six South. Hope to see you here in Hanover again soon!
new hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Until the reopening of the Hanover Inn, this place was literally the only place in town - which is how we ended up there. I haven't been in the renovated Hanover Inn yet, so this may not be the fairest comparison...I liked Six South St. more than the "old" Hanover Inn. No, you can't look straight across to the Dartmouth green. And if you're like me and get a room facing the street you'll likely hear people talking down below and smell Ramunto's pizza all night long. But, I felt that my room was more comfortable and, as I write this, everything was still pretty new. One strike against was during check-in, I waited for a while before the guy at the front desk returned from a smoke break. He didn't notice me pull into the driveway. Otherwise, no problems.
One more thing: they are dog friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street can be noisy - haven't stayed on the other side of the building so I don...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ssshanover, General Manager at Six South St Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thanks very much for your review. We're glad that you found Six South to be a "good alternative" for your stay here in downtown Hanover. Thanks for mentioning our "pet friendly" policy too!
We hope you'll stay with us again soon.
Arlington, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Sometimes you just want to be a bit more anonymous. This hotel had a real modern flair set against this quaint college town. The rooms were spotless, the queen bed was very comfortable, and the location was ideal. We didn't need the staff but they were friendly and confident. Hanover is a low key town, well situated for enjoying the Upper Valley.

• Stayed August 2012
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Booked the hotel because of the location, and website. However...did not live up to expectations...the decor was "cheap" although they tried to be "hip". Staff was nice, but really more like a 3 star....seemed to lack management, but staff did what they could.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I'm very sorry that our hotel did not meet with your expectations. We certainly appreciate your feedback.... especially your positive remarks about our staff. We hope that you'll give us another chance to make a more positive impression should your travels bring you back to Hanover in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanover
Hanover Inn Dartmouth
#3 of 7 in Lebanon
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Six South St Hotel? Share your experiences!