“If cleanliness is a concern, avoid at all costs, particularly this overpriced one!”
Review of Hampton Falls Inn

Hampton Falls Inn
Pennsville
Reviewed July 28, 2010

As far as cleanliness, this was by far the most disgusting room I have ever stayed in. Being the only room available due to a last minute decision, traveling from 7 hours away with two (well behaved) dogs, and neglecting to read the Tripadvisor reviews ahead of time, I did not have the foresight to determine it would have been better to postpone this trip until a clean, less expensive hotel room was available in any other hotel.
This hotel claims to be pet friendly, which I interpreted as being treated like a leper. The pet friendly rooms are on the lower level in the back and owners are not permitted to bring their pets through any front door!
The sliding glass door did not have a working lock and the door and the track were disgustingly filthy. It lead out to a very small "deck" type structure which was rotting. The curtain liner behind the curtain was torn and appeared to require replacement a long time ago. Giving the benefit of the doubt, this could have been due to a previous irresponsible pet owner's pet.
An electrical outlet did not have a plate on it (at dog's eye view). I had to monitor the dogs to insure they did not get near the outlet.
To list the issues I had, in addition to cleanliness:
Not all lights worked.
Cigarette burns in several places on the carpet and furniture.
Toilet seat was dirty (looked like feces).
Mildew accumulation covering bathroom ceiling and tub header (probably because fan did not work).
Pillows were about 1/2" thick and mattress was one of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on.
Towels were of the poorest quality and thinnest I have ever had in a hotel.
Payment, IN FULL, was expected at check-in! This was also a first. Having said that and questioning this suspicious practice, they did only authorize the full amount, as an exception for me. I soon discovered that, like me, others must have reserved more than one night and chosen to leave also.
While making the reservation, I was lead into believing it was closer to our destination than it was.
I contacted the hotel the next day, while out, to notify them I was canceling the next two reserved nights. Anticipating an issue, I researched the hotel policy online thoroughly and did not see any reference to a cancellation policy. As anticipated, the clerk attempted to convince me they would have to charge for the 2nd night due to their 24 hour cancellation policy. Once I pointed out that there was no cancellation policy in writing, and pursue further action if necessary, they quickly agreed to charge me for one night only.
The entire experience was one of deception, since the outside is not unappealing, confrontation with the attempt to threaten me with a non-existent cancellation policy and FILTH!
Having said this, once I pointed out there wasn't a cancellation policy, they were accommodating, perhaps feeling the threat of a visit from the department of public health.
The front desk staff was never rude and handled the situation with "hotel appropriate" professionalism.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank csnelson2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Firstly, on the website the pool looked very clean and fancy, then when we got there it was like a bathtub and the water made our faces feel greasy... Also the hot tub was leaking into the pool. The restaurant was closed down. On the website, the game room looked really cool, sadly when we got there, there was only two games and one was out of order. We didn't feel comfortable drinking the water after going to the pool... all the water felt kinda...well...thick and greasy... On the good side, the toilet paper was very soft, softer than the tissues... They take dogs, Very convenient off I 95, the TV worked. All in all... not so good...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Greasy-Phil

Travelers are raving about these Hampton Falls hotels

Newfoundland
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We were travelling with our dog and were so glad to find nice accommodations at a excellent rate. The pet rooms are on the back at ground level and had a lovely little enclosed deck for our dog.
The layout was excellent with a toilet/bath room as well as a wash basin room.
In addition there is another area with bar sink/fridge & microwave.
The queen beds were very comfortable the furniture was lovely including a table & two chairs, large dresser/TV.
The room was larger than usual.
We found it to be very quiet.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
NH
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We had to stay here after the wind/snow storm in Feb. left us without power for 4 days. We were desparate for a hot shower, a working TV, and heat. Many area hotels were booked but at first we were glad to find a room available here, one that would even let us bring our cat if need be. And although we were grateful for the brief respite it provided, I would never stay there again. First off, the rate quoted over the phone (supposedly the AAA rate) by the AM front desk staff was not honored by the PM staff and a minor language barrier impeded my attempts to receive the AAA rate. Despite that our room was a non-smoking room, smoke from smoking rooms just down the hall wafted generously into our room. The towels were the worst things I have ever seen- drying off with sandpaper would have been more comfortable. The beds were hard and noisy, and all of us compained of feeling itchy whenever we were in them...??? I hate to think about why that was! If we were not so desparate for warmth, running water, a toilet that could be flushed, etc we would checked out shortly after checking in, demanding a full refund. But we stayed, enjoyed what we could and got out the there as soon as we could in the AM.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NhKatydid
Ma
Reviewed January 4, 2010

New Years Eve, we took a trip with our girls to The Hampton Falls Inn to take a break from the winter weather and enjoy the indoor pool. What was going to be a great two nights with our girls turned into a complete Nightmare! Here is my story: We arrived about 5 o’clock and checked in. The hallways and rooms had an odor of cigarettes, mildew and a strong perfume deodorizer. (Prob trying to cover up the other scents). The hallway was run down, dirty, missing molding, and half the hallway to our room had the rug ripped out. Upon entering the room, the ambience was that of the Bates Motel. The room was dated and dingy, had cig burns in the rug and appeared not to have been vacuumed. I was a little put off at this point but thought maybe I was being too critical. The girls and I headed for the pool. After a few hours in the pool area, which was very nice, we headed back to watch the Dick Clark Special and all that jazz. When it was time for bed we pulled down the covers and the horror continued... No one changed the bed sheets!!!! There were cracker crumbs and a candy wrapper in the bed!!!! We immediately alerted the night desk clerk (Who by the way was very nice through all of this) who apologized and put us in the room next to ours. We moved all of our stuff to this room at about 1:20AM. We strip down the bed and Lo and Behold. DOG HAIR all in the sheets and blankets. Black Dog Hair in such abundance you could have probably made a sweater. Disgusting!!!! Might I mention that the bedding and blankets in all of the rooms I will describe have either stains or cigarette burns. Anyway, back to the ordeal. My husband lets the desk clerk know that this room was not cleaned either so in order to accommodate us, we move to a third room. We lugged all of our stuff at approx 1:45 AM once again to what I believe the website calls this room the Pelton Suite. It’s actually an old conference room with two beds in it, some odd old furniture and table. Not to mention the usual dirty stained carpets and cig burned blankets. This room smelled like URINE and when the heat was turned on it smelled like something was on fire. This heater odor traveled throughout the room and down the hall. While we sat in this room waiting for my husband and the night clerk to check out yet another room, my husband while inspecting this fourth room lifted the pillow to find a huge dead bug taking a snooze. We finally requested a room on a different floor since it was obvious the maid service handling the first floor was non-existent. We were provided with our final room of the night at about 2AM. After lugging our stuff again to another floor (No elevator), we were given a room that appeared slightly better than the first four. The bedding seemed ok if you exclude the burn holes and stains. The best part about this room was that we were provided with a free half gallon of outdated frozen milk in our fridge. How's that for amenities! Needless to say, we all barely slept that night, with no blankets mind you because by this point we were so skeeved out. We got up first thing the next morning, cancelled our second night there and went home. It’s been two days and I'm still getting the creepy crawlers just writing this. I'm suprised this place hasn't been inspected and closed down. If you don’t care about living and sleeping in filth for on your vacation, I def recommend this place as a place to stay. If you DO care about hygiene and cleanliness, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank TeeMc1
Here
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I made an unplanned trip to Hampton Beach for the first time at the beginning of July 2009. I found out once on location that the hotel rates were much higher there than at some other places, like Cape Cod for example. Nothing here under 135$ a night by the beach and it was crowded and noisy so I settled for to try to find something remote at a cheaper rate. I found this neat hotel and to my surprise the rate was even higher at a 10 minutes drive from the beach at 149$ a night. I ended up staying there anyway and had a very nice stay, the room was clean, no noise from the outside and the staff very courteous. Really the only thing I disliked about this place was the high rate. And I made sure to let them know. I went back at the end of October and the 69$ per night was much more up to my liking. I would recommend this place but be aware about the high rates.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Philly suburbs
Reviewed September 11, 2009

After being grossed out by the hotel where we had a reservation near Boston, we drove up here. I found the hotel in my AAA book and called ahead for availability and price. I didn't want to make a reservation sight unseen, so we drove there. We passed a Holiday Inn Express not far away and I made a quick call only to find they were $50 higher. We drove up and felt like this place looked nice enough and a good value for the price. We weren't disappointed. The attendant at the front desk was a very nice man who shared a little info about the area. (He tried to direct us to a nearby seafood restaurant though and we never did find the place. However, Route 1 has plenty of places to eat and we went to Chili's.) He warned us that the police are crawling over Route 1 looking for speeders--good to know.

The room was a standard motel room, nothing special, but just fine for us. The pool was a delight. Nice heated water. We really enjoyed it being indoor and we could swim into the evening (10:00 close). We had a great time here for one night and would go back again! My kids were disappointed we didn't stop here on our way home from Bar Harbor because they loved it so much.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#3 of 41 in Hampton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Amesbury

Been to Hampton Falls Inn? Share your experiences!