“Good outdoor dining for families with kids.”

Purple Urchin Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 114 Restaurants in Hampton
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Ocean View Restaurant in the Heart of Hampton Beach located in the Historic Casino Building. 200 Seat Restaurant offering Local Fresh Seafood and Beef . We are family friendly restaurant and Love Large Parties. Celebrating 21 years of Family Owned Buisness
“Good outdoor dining for families with kids.”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We ate outside and had good affordable seafood. Draft beer was good and service was fine. Seems like they had a DJ for kids.

“Horrible food and awful "sangria"”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We ate here last night and I ordered the special, which was fish tacos and sangria. The tacos were awful. Overcooked fish that had that bad fishy cafeteria taste to it. Salsa that was clearly poured from a jar, and shredded greens. No cheese. No sour cream (until I asked for it.)

Then there was the "sangria." I saw the waitress ask the bartender for it and he was perplexed. I watched him pour wine into a glass, then something from a bucket. Then another waitress suggested he put fruit on the rim. They brought it to me and I took one sip. It tasted like paint thinner. My husband agreed. Why put sangria as your special if you don't even know what it is! And if they didn't have it, offering me a simple glass of wine would have been better.

But no beverage would have been good enough to wash down that meal.

New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Spot for Summer Fun, Food and Festivities!”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

This is one the BEST spots on Hampton Beach! Management and staff are friendly and attentive. The food is great. Everything from appetizers and sandwiches to full dinners including some of the areas best seafood. The view is spectacular, especially for watching the weekly Wednesday night fireworks. Watch the crowds stroll by, make new friends, eat and drink to your hearts content... The Urchin is the place to be during the summertime.

• Visited August 2010
Hampton, New Hampshire
“Love the Urchin!”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Gorgeous view! Great Cusine and Cocktails! Friendly Staff!
Awesome spot before or after a show at the Casio.

• Visited September 2010
Massachusetts
“We drank the Kool-aid :-)”
Reviewed August 31, 2010

First, I acknowledge that my rating is contradictory - I have rated the food, service, value and atmosphere as very good, but given an average for the overall rating.

We ate at the Purple Urchin before heading to a show at the Casino. It was a beautiful summer night, and we could hear the band at the pavilion playing. It was "The Help" which is the Beatles cover band, and they were very good. It was pleasant to hear the familiar songs as we ate.

We arrived around 6, and there was a table available for us (party of six), which was good - I was afraid that there would be a wait on a Saturday night. We ordered drinks and looked at our menus. The drinks are pretty basic, and the prices market. My friend and I chose a vodka drink that consisted of grape vodka and lemon juice called "Kool aid" for 5.50. It was ok.

We ordered a variety of food - some sandwiches, an entre, and the lobster special. There are no extras - no bread, no sides (unless mentioned - sandwiches come with french fries, but our waitress substituted rice on request). We all enjoyed what we had, but the lobster eaters where still hungry. The service was good, attentive. The atmosphere is very casual, which is to be expected at the beach - drinks are served in a hard (reusable) plastic cup. All in all, I would say it was a pleasant experience, and I would go back again in similar circumstances (want to walk to dinner), and I would recommend the Purple Urchin.

1 Thank lovlilynne