“well....it needs a lot of TLC” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kentville on the Ocean

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Kentville on the Ocean
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
“well....it needs a lot of TLC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

It has the best location on the beach. Service is great, but the hotel needs a lot of work, lots. Nice fridge and a microwave in our room, but absolutely no table to even make a sandwich on or to put down our drinks. Carpets are very old, and it smells humidity a lot, so you can never stop the air conditioning. Convenience kitchen, well, not really...all it has that you do not have in your room is a toaster (1), that all some 20 rooms can use. We do not undersatnd as to why they do not have propane BBQ! When it is hot outside, who wants to wait after briquette/charcoals to be ready, it takes forever, therefore the picnic tables are probably the only things that are very clean because nobody uses them! But as I mentionned, location is the best!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jobean68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Waterbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

Noisy, filthy room, screen door broken, water in shower barely works, carpet filthy! They must have sprayed the room with a freshener or else it was a new air filter in the air conditioner. In any event, the smell was so strong we had to keep the door open and with the broken screen, the bugs came in. Drapes were so old, they were faded. Microwave was sitting on top of the refrigerator. Floor in bathroom had holes and stains. Had to have been at least 25 years old! Furniture was horrible! I used to come here with my kids, today I brought the grandkids and will not return. It looks exactly the same, nothing has been done! Parking lot is a god awful mess. The pics of the front porch and beautiful flowers is the only thing that is kept up. The deck is rotting, frames to doors are rotted, stairs failing apart and if this passes inspection, I'd be shocked. I'm terrified there are bed bugs but won't know until I get home! This is the most disgusting place I have ever been in!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank Homeby9128

Travelers are raving about these Hampton hotels

Freetown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

As with all real estate, it's location, location, location!! Kentville is a no frills place. On the strip, but enough north to not have the noise. Comfortable, but small. Definitely go with a room on the south side. The view from the 2nd floor is just as good as the 3rd....without the stairs! Rooms were quiet and had fridge and microwave,but no kitchenware. No hair dryer. With that said, the hotel staff were very accommodating and got the dishes we needed from another hotel the company owns...and gave us a hair dryer. Overall a nice stay, we would go there again. If it wasn't on the beach, it would be the kind of place that you'd pay $59-$69/night.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MamaT126
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We've been staying at the Kentville for 7 years and each year the rooms get worse, the pricing is higher and the parking is ridiculous. The hotel has beautiful "curb appeal" with vibrant flowers, a quaint front porch and nicely painted decks but beyond that - the rooms are old, the bathrooms are rusty and sliding glass doors & screens are laughable (and certainly not something that would keep flies, mosquito's or intruders out). The Bolyea Agency owns the Kentville plus two other properties. The Kentville is in a prime location with a decent size parking lot. The south decks are the best view of the ocean and the boardwalk. Clearly they are making money for the location and the view...why WOULD they invest in improving their rooms? Why would they keep returning customers happy? Beats me! Each year, I am grateful for the location but question why I continue to feed the owners my money when they make no improvements to the property (I wonder if the decks and stairs pass a safety check every year?) And furthermore, the summer parking is ridiculous. Beach goers can pay $25 for the day. Guests of the hotel are guaranteed parking but it may be on the other side of the building, or across the street or squeezed in next to the dumpster (all of which are not acceptable when I'm paying over $170 per night). Many times we've returned to the hotel to a full parking lot and told to park in a metered spot (with a free pass). Why must I be displaced because the Parking Rental system is so unorganized? (They should invest in paving the parking lot and assigning each room a parking space. If that room isn't booked for the night/weekend - rent the spot to a beach goer. If it is, don't rent the spot! Isn't it simple?!) My review boils down to this -- guests of the Kentville are not a priority to the owners. Money is. I feel for the staff and manager because they are forced to deal with irate guests while the owners breeze in to grab a cup of coffee each day.

Room Tip: No elevators. Steps are steep. South view is the best.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank C L
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I reserved 2 rooms on June 26,2014. Spoke with the front desk specifically asked about any issues with reserving the room for 1 night and was told no problem. Gave them my credit card info and received 2 email confirmations. Took time off of work and arranged my family weekend. 2 weeks later I get a phone call from the hotel cancelling my reservations but if I want to reserve for 3 nights each all would be good. Are you kidding me, you wait 2 weeks to cancel me a week or so before I am to arrive. Talk about strong arm tactics, figuring you had me and I would cave. Guess what you don't I found a nicer, cleaner better reviewed hotel. I am just very angry that they would do this. And when I spoke to management they were useless. Just a bunch of money hungry jerks who don't give a crap about anything but the all mighty dollar. So watch your back your reservation confirmation is useless!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Notebookluv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

First I read a lot of terrible reviews of this hotel but decided to try it myself. On price..I know hampton is expensive July 4th weekend so paying $169 was ok but a little high for this hotel. Service... amazing..girl at front desk was very nice and efficient, took no more than 5 mins to check in. Check out 30 seconds.
Room... ceiling were really high made it feel really big, bed was clean, pillows were nice, nice fridge, freezer (unusual) and a microwave.
Bad things.. room #11 needs work..woodwork needs refinishing, water stains in ceiling, open broken wall in bath...but still clean overall. I would stay again but would try not to pay so much...

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Beth03054
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

stayed at kentville many times in the past years. yes things are old and needs replacement, repaired and a fresh coat of paint. the husband and wife owners needs to invest back into their properties (2 others). it's an investment for the future should they decide to sell or retain customers. if it wasn't for the porch we would be staying at the ashworth, a place we've stayed many times.

Room Tip: if you have problems going up stairs, get rooms on lobby or first floor. rooms on south side are qui...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family