“Fun-Smasher”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
The Grayhurst Hotel
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Barrington, New Hampshire
“Fun-Smasher”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I do not like having to give negative reviews, but find it necessary to do so when I feel people need to be aware of things. I originally gave a thumb’s up review last year on this place, but this year is the exact opposite. Was Ken, the owner, just having a bad day, week, month, year…? Don’t know.

Overall condition of the place: Clean and comfortable, yes, but I can find that elsewhere from now on.

Owner: Talk about Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde – Wow! Ken initially portrays himself as a nice, decent person, but in fact there’s a dark secret side that we had a chance to witness.

Ken treats his establishment like a monitored prison. He listens and watches everything you do and say. When you leave, when you come back, who you’re with… I actually wouldn’t be surprised if there were hidden cameras on the premises. He desperately needs to work on his people skills.
Look Ken, you own a hotel right next door to the biggest venue in Hampton (The Casino Ball Room). There are many, many walks of life that you are going encounter. We are the most light-hearted, easy-going people that you could ever meet. We are not unruly people in the least bit. We want to be able to enjoy the place that we rent with the freedom and relaxation that is to come with a vacation. We are adults… actually Ken, probably the same age as you. When did you lose your spark of life?

We had a couple of friends visit an hour before the show started. No, they were not staying overnight, nor did they intend to. When we rent a room somewhere, we should feel welcome and comfortable in our space. If we have a guest visit they should be able to enjoy themselves while they are there. We do not need someone to give us the evil eye, scowl, huff, puff and throw a tantrum. He almost didn’t even let them in to use our bathroom… really Ken?? Who are you to treat our guests with that kind of insult and disrespect?

Also, regarding the sign in each room, one side has a “Maid, please make up this room”; the other “Do not Disturb”. Even though we did not put out the sign that said to make up our room, our rooms were entered anyway. So, remember folks, at this place, no sign on the door means, please come in and snoop through our belongings (because that is exactly what went on). Be sure to put your Do Not Disturb sign out, but that probably won’t do any good because they know when you are sleeping, they know when you’re awake (and out of the building)…

Many more issues went on, but I would have to write a book if I was to keep going (hey, maybe I will write a book on where NOT to stay).

We travel very often and have stayed at many places. I have NEVER had an owner treat their guests in the manner that he did. This has to be the worst experience we have ever encountered. We are extremely disappointed in you Ken. We will never be going back there as long as you own it. There are many decent establishments to stay at that are right around the corner.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
12 Thank Tebbett
grayhurst, Owner at The Grayhurst Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
I am very sorry your experience here was not as pleasant as last year. About 40 to 50% of our guests are repeat guests who become old friends. Because this is only a 13 unit hotel and I am the person who checks the guests in, I usually remember who my guests are.

Unlike your stay in 2013, there were issues this year. First and foremost, please understand there are policies in place that are for the well being of "all" guests and the way the property is treated. When a few guests have total disregard for the safety as well as the comfort of other guests and mistreat the property the policies have to be brought to the attention of the unruly guests.

With regards to unregistered guests. There are signs on the doors that say no unregistered guests permitted in the buildings. Again, this is for the safety of all guests staying here keeping in mind this is a family style hotel. All you had to do is let me know you were having friends over and introduce me to them.

There are "maid / do not disturb" signs in all rooms, also there are 2 information pamphlets in all rooms. One item explains that unless the "do not disturb" sign is hanging outside the door, I will be in to freshen up the room, exchange towels, make beds if no items are on the beds, restock, take the trash out and vacuum if needed. Please understand I do this to keep the rooms fresh and clean for you and future guests.

My wife and I try to run a cleanest and safest hotel for all our guests to enjoy.

Again I am sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. I am sure there are other hotels that would welcome you and your other friends when you are at the beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Leicester, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Grayhurst is a cozy spot close to all beach amenities. Great location if you're going to a show at the ballroom. Clean and good service. The bed was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank RachelWilson
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My boyfreind and I stayed here for one night for a concert. The hotel was in a great location, right in the middle of everything, but just down a little side street so it was quiet and had less foot traffic. We met Ken and Holly and they were excellent. Super friendly and great at making us feel welcome and comfortable. The room was very clean and tidy. We sat in the courtyard for a few and it was great. Overall we really loved our stay and will only stay at the Greyhurst for all our Hampton trips!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kandice W
Lowell
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We went way off season but couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. Ken was super nice and helpful on what was open at this time of year.... even had breakfast for us every morning. The location is one of the best in my opinion. I've spent a lot of time in Hampton and it's the perfect blend of super close to activities but on a side street so you can retreat from the crowds.

Can't wait to stay again during more popular time of year.

Room Tip: Most rooms have balconies... a definite plus.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank gniterobot
Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here with my brothers for the weekend for a quite off-season stay. Nice place, right in the thick of Hampton Beach. Ken is a great host. Plenty of space in our apartment, nice deck, kitchenette and a big fridge.

We plan to head back next year, probably earlier in the season so more local restaurants and shops are open.

Room Tip: We stayed in Apt #5 on the third floor. It was nice being on the top floor but the stairs are a lit...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank riccabilly
vermont
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here with two friends in August, 2013 and it was great. The beach is a short 2 minute walk. The room was a little small but we didn't spend much time in it since we were enjoying all the Hampton Beach has to offer. The owners are very friendly and accommodating. We will stay here again at our annual summer get away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank srose2013
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Grayhurst for the Seafood Festival this past weekend. We stayed in apt #5 on the 3rd floor. It was spacious and had everything that we could need and more. The hotel is in a great location, close to everything you want to do. The owner Ken was extremely nice and we didn’t have any problems at all. We loved the early check in and late check-out. The price was so reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. The buffet Breakfast/coffee and pastries was such a nice touch. We will defiantly be back to stay here. Thank you Ken

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tra82471
grayhurst, Owner at The Grayhurst Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. The Seafood Festival Weekend is a special time for the Grayhurst Hotel and its guests. To say HI to old friends that come back to the festival year after year and also to carry on a few traditions. The "come early-stay late deal", the early checkin and late check out and also the Breakfast Buffet are those traditions that are given for that weekend only. Donna and I are glad you had a great time here at the Grayhhurst Hotel. That is our main goal.