“Economic”
Review of Ship's Inn Resort

Ship's Inn Resort
Ranked #34 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We found the service to be friendly and efficient. Our room was very clean when we arrived. The carpet looked fairly new and the bathroom fixtures were recently updated in our room. The second floor was not a problem for us but could be if out of shape. Remembering you are at Hampton beach is a must. For the money it was one of the better places we have stayed. Quiet at night with the occasional smell of pot but I would expect that just about everywhere. Our family survived and I was really worried after reading a lot of the other reviews. I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Smiley413

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two years ago (in the newer building adjacent to B street) because the hotel was close to the Main Sail Motel (where he had family staying). Two years ago our stay was nice. The room was pretty clean, though a little old. We had somewhat of an ocean view and the bed was comfortable. The jacuzzi tub was an added bonus as my husband had recently recovered from a broken leg. The only real negative was that there was no sign on the door to the balcony that said the door LOCKED from the inside automatically. My husband accidentally locked us out on the balcony with our cell phones in the room. He had to lower me off the balcony until I was 3 feet from the ground and then drop me so I could go around to let us in. I don't know what we would have done if we were older, I weighed more, I was shorter, or if either of us were handicapped. I also got pretty bruised up on the fall and ripped my dress. We should have complained but didn't.

This year we decided to go back because if locking ourselves out of our room was the worst thing that happened we could certainly avoid doing that again. We prepaid for our room for two nights ($345 with taxes).

Good points:
-When we arrived at 1 o'clock they let us check in early. The check-in is 3:00.
-The proximity to the boardwalk is nice. There is also a small convenience store right on the corner.
-The parking was plentiful though a jerk member of their staff decided to park behind us ALL day on our check-out day. We were able to get out after about a 20 point turn.
-The bed was comfortable.
-The other guests were quiet and friendly.
-Cute little barbeque area available. I wouldn't want to be in one of the rooms right next to it though.
-They gave us extra towels when requested.

BAD POINTS!:
-No elevator. We were only on the 2nd floor but we had a baby and lots of things to haul around. A very nice hotel guest helped me bring up the carriage. They should provide warning regarding this.
-The two pools were very small, crowded, and dirty.
-Other than check-in staff, we passed what I perceived to be all of their other staff (who were all under the age of 23) went to the stage on the beach and were singing and dancing and filming themselves. This was one hour after we checked in. If they spent more time cleaning the rooms prior to guest check-in instead of on this non-sense maybe the hotel would be nicer. To note, during our entire stay I did not see one person working at this hotel above the age of 23. Where was the owner/management?
-Language barriers between staff and guests.
-There should be more visible signage regarding the door to the balcony auto locking to prevent people from locking themselves out.
-The outside GLASS entrance door closest to our room was broken. It was taped together with scotch tape. Yes, scotch tape. Couldn't break out the duct tape guys?
-Our doorknob was broken so we put our valuables in the car when not in the room.
-The room smelled like old water and cigarettes.
-The stopper on the tub was removed. I used a washcloth to plug the tub so I could give my son a bath. I discovered the hard way that the stopper was removed because the tub leaked! When I felt the water on my knees I looked down and saw the tiles on the floor and noticed how discolored they were. This tub has been leaking for a while.
-The bottom of the tub was squishy and felt like you would fall through when showering, The safety bar was hanging from the tub, broken in the middle.
-The sink in the bathroom poorly drained. I think this was because it was not properly installed.
-The drywall on the ceiling in the room was wet. They must have a slow leak in the room above.
-The carpet was gross. We wore flip-flops the entire time.
-I THOUGHT the frig was fine until the milk I had just pumped that day went bad. I have a very weak sense of smell due to an old accident. I didn't notice the milk was bad until he starting to throw up and had diarrhea. My husband had smelt it at that point and determined it was all spoiled. A sick baby and 16 ounces of milk wasted. This also forced me to return to our room every few hours to nurse.
-We would have left but 1) We didn't notice most of these things until after 9 at night on our check-in day. 2) The check-in slip clearly indicates no refund will be provided unless you notify staff immediately upon entering your room that you need a refund. 3) When we woke up the next day there were no vacancies at any hotel anywhere close by. We were stuck.

We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer building if you have to stay here. I wouldn't though.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Serena S
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Last week we spent 3 nights here. Paid 279.00 a night for what was suppose to be a two bedroom with a living room and pull out sofa bed. The place was disgusting! The inside of the refrigerator was filthy, the floors and carpets were nasty. The pull out sofa was so bad it could not be slept on, the cable box did not work. Half of the lamps had no light bulbs, there was half a roll of toilet paper on the holder and two bath towels. There was five of us. Wifi didn't work, the pool was full of sand. When I went to the office for more toilet paper the guy at the desk gave me a package of brown paper napkins and said they were out of toilet paper. We had to go to the laundry room every day to ask for more towels. Our patio set on the deck only had two chairs with bent rusty legs. Also our room was by the picnic area so when someone cooked on grill the smell of lighter fluid came in through the crappy air conditioner. People were drinking and being loud until midnight. This was the worst "Hotel" we have ever stayed at. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Sarasmom1
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ship's Inn for 2 nights on July 24-25, 2013. I travel frequently and am not really a "picky" person by any means. The hotel was in a perfect location, about 1/2 block from Ocean Blvd and the beach. It was nice not having to get stuck in all the traffic on Ocean Blvd, especially after the Wednesday night fireworks. There was ample parking and never had to fight for a spot. The property itself is in disrepair. If they took a little money and time to make some cosmetic repairs it would make a huge difference. The hallways are old, outdated, dirty and smelly. The room itself wasn't bad. Was clean, and semi-modern. Flat screen TV, bed was comfortable, but the Wi-fi wasn't really working. I also didn't take into account that there was no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor, so getting our luggage up there was a pain, the stairs are narrow and steep. I did like that our room had a door out to our own private balcony with a partial ocean view, so it was nice to get some fresh ocean air in there. The main public deck wasn't nearly as nice as depicted in the pictures. The pools are also tiny, over crowded and really dirty. There are plenty of other properties to stay in the areathat I can safely say I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

From making the reservations to leaving the Ship Inn Hotel in disgust I recommend that your check out every posted photo on line boasting about this hotel - they are a huge exaggeration and the word of anyone taking the reservation and answering questions...lies. Unless you talk to the Manager, if you can get him, and he lies also. We made reservations for a 2 day getaway after my husbands recovery from heart surgery (which I mentioned to the person on the phone taking our reservations), we asked and was told that we would have a room with 2 queen beds near the 2 heated pools with a beach view and that it was clean, as I insisted due to my husbands surgery and the need to watch for infection that the room be clean. I also asked if it was within a few steps of the beach. Even though check in was at 3 we were told if we arrive early (due to our 4 to 5 hour drive) and the people have checked out, they will let us in the room early so my husband would not have to be out in the heat. I was asked for my Credit Card and told that I would have everything I asked for given a confirmation number. We checked and I asked to see the room prior to our unloading my husband and the bags. OMG they had us in one of their back buildings were we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs, no elevator, glass entry door was broken, stairs and rugs were old, torn and smelled, when I got to the room it was small with 2 full size beds and filthy. AC did not work and its was so hot. I immediately went to the registration desk and was told that they could try to find another room, but they don't have queen size beds in their Inn and they can't give me back my money or credit it back on our credit for the room from when I registered on the phone. After 20 minutes of discussion back and forth with two employees working the checkin/registration desk, who had no responsibility to do anything, we told them we wee leaving and going home. Drove back home which took us 5 hrs. I will be calling the better business bureau and other consumer agencies including the board of health for hotels / businesses in NH when I calm down...in the mean time BEWARE of a mad wolf in sheeps clothing...this hotel is horrible. Wish I had read the reviews first and did not trust the photos were real or at the very least up to date.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sawyerp1
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here 7/15 to 7/19. Had unit w/two double beds. They advertise having Wi Fi but when you get there, the agreement they print out & give to you says that it's limited. Our room didn't have it & my kids were very disappointed about this. They shouldn't advertise it if it is not available in all rooms. The room was small w/no dresser to put clothes in. We had to live out of our suitcases for lack of anywhere to put our clothes. The carpet was filthy. The bottom of your feet or socks will turn black just walking on it a few times. The curtains seemed filthy too. The only door to our room was a sliding glass door that was rickety & very hard to open & shut. The bathroom was a nice size and adequate. The location was excellent and we found the large pool to be nice. Was quiet during our time there, no problems with noise. The barbecue area was nice with a grill for each table there. It is what it is for a beach motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I just got back from spending the night at Ship's Inn, and I was not impressed. There were three of us in the room and none of us were able to connect to the free Wi-Fi, went to the office and they said they would re boot it, and still nothing. The jets in the Jacuzzi did not work, when turning the AC on it smelled like urine and after walking on the kitchen floor, our feet were black, so we decided to take a wet wash cloth and wipe a small part on the floor and the white wash cloth was black. That is disgusting. Very expensive for a dump. I won't stay there again or recommend it to any one.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends