“Wasn't sure what to expect”
Review of Bonta - CLOSED

Bonta
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have driven past this restaurant a thousand times (literally) and had never stopped to eat until some friends invited us to join them there. The dining area is mainly open and there is enough space between tables that you are not sharing the next tables entree. We shared a couple of appetizers, the Calamari and Mozzarella, good but not mouthwatering. For our main selections these varied between Little Neck Clams, Duck Breast and the Pasta specials. The highlight was the desert where two were sufficient for the four of us, Chocolate Torte was the winner. To summarize, dining room good, food average and service slow. The other item that removed some enjoyment was two very loud tables which according to the wait staff included the owner.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

A great place with a huge open dinning area right off of the bar. Good friendly service and excellent entree's. I had the scallops special and the peanut butter desert both were awesome selections. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the Hampton, NH area.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We ate at the bar and ordered 4 items off the bar menu. Service was on the slow side even though it was a weeknight and not busy. We had "slow roasted meatballs" 4 on the plate. Nothing special at all. And they were barely warm. Kind of room temp. "Crispy mozzarella balls" (3) on a slice of roasted tomato. They weren't crispy. They seemed just to be rolled in bread crumbs and also just room temperature but probably they wouldn't be served hot. Not anything I would ever order again. Next were the shrimp with lemon butter and grilled bread. Shrimp (4) were so-so and sitting on top of a slim slice of bread that was wet and soggy. Again…just not great. Last was the mini salmon with spinach. That was the highlight and the only thing I would order again. The "Lamb lollipops" on the bar menu looked great and the people that ordered them at the bar seemed to really like them. They came with a small arugula salad on the plate and could have been a whole meal for someone that eats light. None of the items we ordered could have been a meal. In fact we shared 4 different dishes and felt they just barely satisfied our hunger even though we ate all the bread in the bread basket which consisted of a couple of slices of nothing special bread along with some flat kind of interesting cracker-bread things. It came with a tray of three toppings. Butter, sundried tomato paste, and an oil that tasted like Mazola. So…..not bad but not really good. Hence the 3 stars. It's been there for a while so it must be doing something right but not enough to warrant making it a destination restaurant for us.

1  Thank tobywinter
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have always thought the dining room at Bonta was one of the loveliest anywhere. It is elegant and intimate, with its use of wood, paints walls and the charming fireplace in the middle of the room.
We have had mixed feelings about the food, and on this visit were completely dissatisfied.
We began with an antipasto, which was heavy on the artisan cheeses, and light on the vegetables.
The entrees were a great disappointment, which we both felt were of the quality one would expect at a wedding reception, my dining partner ordered the pancetta stuffed chicken breast, which was a pre-made breast stuffed with breadcrumbs and chopped pancetta. It was dry, plain and very boring.
I ordered a medium sirloin with a reduction sauce, and when I cut into it, the meat was not even rare, it was purple! It was served with fingerling potatoes and broccoli rabe, very uninspired.
My dining companion ordered a drink, and was served something different, and when he requested it be returned, the bartender informed him that the requested liquor was not available, so he substituted!
A once wonderful restaurant has become run of the mill, how sad

1  Thank Harold B
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I write this with mixed emotions and wish I could have given a better rating. After years of wanting to try Bonta, I finally had my chance for my birthday this year. We had 7:30 reservations on a Friday and showed a half hour early; to our surprise we were sat immediately. The staff is friendly and our waiter (Jeremy) was excellent and very attentive. We started with the Calamari Fritti which was very good and a few cocktails which were on the strong side. For the Entrée’s my girl had the Lamb Shank, excellent and I went with the Breaded Veal Cutlet which was just dry and no frills (needs a sauce) with weak sides. Followed up with the dessert Specials (Delivered by Executive Chef Dan, thank you), my girl went with a pumpkin filled with spiced cake, again excellent. I on the other hand went with the Brioche empanada’s filled with chocolate and I believe berry compote, the dish was lacking something and was bland.
Overall the atmosphere is romantic and cozy, service was excellent but the hostess and an older gentleman walking the floor came across very pretentious. Mixed emotions on the food, just needs a fw teaks.

1  Thank Cheffrey