“What a nice treat!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed September 1, 2012

What a wonderful evening! The atmosphere was welcoming, with nice building materials, lighting, seating, and nicely spaced tables. It was nice to be able to have a conversation without competing with the noise level of the restaurant. The waitress was attentive without be overbearing. The menu provided something for everyone and the meals well prepared and tasty. The portions were larger than what were expected for this restaurant category. The wine list was extensive, featuring some wines I wasn't familiar with, as well as one I was. It was our first time there (after driving by for over a decade) and now it is tops on favorite date night list. We look forward to returning again and again. A nice find! (P.S. Couldn't imagine bringing our young kids here...not really kid appropriate even though our kids our great restaurant goers)

There are newer reviews for Bonta

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We visit new Hampshire each year and continue to enjoy excellently prepared food and good salads. The menu is good though a little shortbon fush choices but good pastas. Not a typical Italian restaurant. There is a very good wine list with some surprising choices available from some smaller excellent California vineyards. Very good attentive service in pleasant restaurant surroundings. The bar is usually full

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I keep saying I won't return to Bonta, then someone tells me that there is a new chef or a new manager, etc, etc, and it has improved. After yet another visit over the 4th of July holiday, I stick by my original review that is the food is pretty good, the drinks overpriced and the service neutral. We did have a large party, but no reason that our waiter should seem annoyed with any question about the drinks or menu. I really want to love this place as it is convenient and there are not many fine dining options outside of Portsmouth, but I just can't give more than a few stars to food that is only OK and service that is not friendly and attentive.

2  Thank Runner03833
Reviewed July 4, 2012

this is a special place for us and we don't go that often. It is certainly higher priced, but generally worth it for an outstanding meal (although not the last time I was here) They do aspire to be the best, but don't always have the consistency that you expect from a restaurant of this caliber.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have come here a handful of times over the years and this place consistently delivers (in most ways) with the best. Very welcoming entrance with perfect lighting and a lovely, lively atmosphere that never gets too loud with perfect acoustics. The bread is fresh and wonderful as are the salads. Drinks were strong and pleasing. A great menu including a nice selection of veal and seafood. The veal special was elegantly plated and delicious. The only thing keeping me from giving a 5-rating (wish I could give 4.5) was the service. Our waitress was pleasant and informative...but there were a couple of long stretches (especially after salads and after dinners served) when she vanished. It took about 5 minutes too long to get our first drinks in front of us. Somebody could do a better job of watching the floor and getting her back in front of people. It didn't look like she (or the bartender) was over-matched with tables. Overall, however, it was another great experience at Bonta and I look forward to coming back as well as strongly recommending it to others. It remains dependably among the best.

1  Thank HinghamPonch