“Fabulous Food and Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The 401 Tavern

The 401 Tavern
Ranked #12 of 113 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Hampshire
“Fabulous Food and Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We visited recently with 5 and everyone loved the quality. We all ate sandwiches and found them fresh, large, and unique. Nothing here is fried, and the sandwiches seemed to reflect individual attention and fresh ingredients. We started with loaded nachos for an app and finished with a delicious slice of peanutbutter pie for desert. The only down side was a $2 charge to upgrade chips to O'Brien potatoes and smallish drinks. On the plus side, they offer a solid selection of large draft beer for $4. You will love the ambiance.

1 Thank nhjimmyd

Newburyport
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stopped in for drink and appetizer after meeting. AWFUL SERVICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

I just stopped in to the 401 Tavern. Never been before. It is a maze of several different rooms. No one there to offer advice. Finally ended up in "Sports" Bar which is laughable. Bartenders were entirely indifferent. They were more interested in talking to friends and texting on PDAs. Ordered a drink and an app. Food was just okay. Service and atmosphere were awful!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Buccaneer47
Stratham, New Hampshire
“Horrible service, horrible treatment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

I ordered the Mediterranean Chicken Wrap without the chicken, since I am a vegetarian. I began eating my meal, and there were two huge pieces of chicken! I quickly told my waitress who took one of the pieces of chicken back to show the chef. The waitress came back saying the chef did not believe it was chicken and therefore, would not do anything. My boyfriend felt bad and paid for it since I was angry and did not eat anything. Worst customer service I've ever met. I've told everyone I know what a horrible place this is.

• Visited April 2010
2 Thank strathamGirl
North Hampton, New Hampshire
“Gave it a 2nd chance, then a third...not impressed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

When I first went to 401, my family and I got two cold plates and had to send them back, overall the food was pretty good. HOWEVER, I went back again with my boyfriend and we were virtually ignored by our waitress. She apparently was friends with the couple next to us and sat down with them, chatted, etc. (Very unprofessional) As someone who has worked in the food industry I was shocked not to see a manager overseeing this.

To add to it, we got stale, hard nachos that were overbaked. My haddock was also overcooked and for the price, it's totally not worth it. Overall it was a terrible experience and I will not return. Instead I'd choose the always reliable Old Salt or Ron Jillians.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank littletravellottafun
Kingston, New Hampshire
“The 401 Tavern is "Cheers" of the NH Seacoast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2010

The 401 Tavern is my new favorite restaurant. The owner is the best host and makes you feel special. The atmoshere is warm and inviting along with the great energy that flows through the 3 bars! The chef makes the most amazing specials along with the best mussels I have ever had! You will love the atmoshere only to be matched by the food.

Been to The 401 Tavern? Share your experiences!