“Good but front desk person rude”
Review of Marguerite Motel

Marguerite Motel
Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I checked in August .I has called Several times ahead of time to make sure that I that there was any deposits for the room or any hidden fees . Just to make sure that I would be aware of any charges and make sure that I would have the extra funds . I spoke Several times to Catherine and she a shored me that all I needed was the balance that was left on my room and that I can pay that cash when I checked in .So I Decided to leave my credit cards and just took my Debit card .When I checked in Nicole checked me in and stated I had to give a 150 dollers deposit because I had my debit card for a smoking cleaning fee . Which by the way I don't smoke . I stated to her that I called Several times and ask if there was any deposits or fee and I was told No . Will some of the money that I had to spend there it was . She was rude and very Persistent and wanted the deposit . I just feel there needs to be very clear Communication.
When people call and ask question . Then at check out Nicole was very Sarcastic at that . Would I stay there again NOOOO. When you arrive to place you want to feel welcome which I wasn't . At that the other couple I was with they had a debit card and was ask for no deposit .

• Stayed: August 2013
MargMotelMgr, Manager at Marguerite Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Hello Jazzystyle,

We appreciate all reviews; good or bad and yours is a fair critique (although it is in duplicate and why TripAdvisor allowed that I am not sure), but nonetheless I am happy to reply to your comments. Pursuant to your calls on several occasions with Catherine, that is correct; there were no additional charges that were not already communicated to you in the confirmation letter that was issued to you on 08/08/2013 to the email address you provided. In this email it addressed several issues that you are concerned with; let me point them out to you, since it was obvious that we were trying to conceal them from you.

1) You had a balance due that was payable upon check-in.......No Problem

2) You made that payment in cash..... No Problem.

3) As far as the cleaning & damage deposit..... In the confirmation letter, line item H: it states that "Management reserves the right to request and hold a damage deposit for up to $200.00. The money will be refunded upon check out after an inspection of the room has been done." Reserves is a vague choice of words, the intent is that: In the event a guest uses a valid credit card we hold that on the honor system using the credit card #, not something we can do with a debit card unless, as we did with your card, we process it upon check-in.

4) As far as the use of a debit card by your friends (& family) in the adjacent room, we opted to take their debit card as they have been repeat guests for many years and happen to have a valid credit card # on file to cover the cleaning & damage deposit. Which we did not feel was necessary to charge them as they have a great history with us since 2008. This was your first visit therefore we did not have a prior history with you as a customer.

5) FYI - this security/damage deposit covers any and all charges to the room, whether it is smoking in the room, sneaking in an un-registered pet or physical damage to the room. Other charges may also apply for adding un-registered guest to the room. It is not exclusively applied to smoking in the room.

Whether you smoke or not was not the primary issue, it was clearly communicated in the confirmation letter dated 08/08/2013 that management reserves the right to request a damage deposit, it was clearly communicated that we do not accept debit cards. However, these 2 line items alone do not appear to be clear enough, at least not to everyone.

Based upon this review we are drafting a revision to the confirmation letter and house rules that will specifically state that a credit card is required at check in, or if a guest opts to use a debit card or cash they will automatically be required to provide the cleaning/damage deposit upon check-in. Your critique of our policies will make it easier for everyone, down the road, to understand what is required for check-in.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We only came up for one night during Labor Day weekend for the last hurrah before summer ends! The staff was very nice and accommodating (we asked for two rooms side by side at the last minute). The rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, environment quiet. The heated pool was a nice feature given it got cool on the beach later in the afternoon. The staff allowed us to check in early and park our car so we didn't have to pay for parking :) The price was definitely a lot for one night ($206) provided it wasn't directly on the beach. We would definitely return if the prices were a bit more reasonable. We booked it at the last minute for a holiday weekend so didn't shop around much.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I do not recommend this motel and will never return. The staff is not particularly helpful or friendly and charged us fees after we left the motel when we were told we would not have any additional charges. Also, the motel is overpriced for rooms that are no where near luxury.

Room Tip: There is no elevator
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
MargMotelMgr, Manager at Marguerite Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Hello Nicole O from Manchester Ma. - I am so glad to hear from you and fully expected this rant. It matches the outburst you displayed at check out time. I wasn't there but was able to review this on the security camera footage of the office that day.

To follow up on the events of your reservation;
1) When you made the reservation you asked for a pet friendly room and were told that we did not have any of that room style available for the date you wanted,
2) We also told you that if anything changed we would inform you in advance so you could plan accordingly. Since none became available we never contacted you to change the style of room for your visit.
3) You were fully aware in advance, from your conversation with the front desk on 08/06/2013, that the room was not a pet-friendly room and were advised in advance, according to the confirmation letter issued to you 5 days before your arrival, that there was a $150.00 penalty for bringing a pet into a non-pet friendly room.
4) When you arrived on 08/11/2013 you never told us that you were travelling with your pet, if you had we could have easily avoided this problem by cancelling the reservation.
5) When you checked in you were asked to read and sign the house rules which specifically stated that there was a $150.00 penalty for violating the no pet policy. At no time did you question this or decide to tell us you had you pet with you. You read & signed without question, we have it in your file.
6) Not until you were checking out did we discover that you had your pet with you and that the pet was brought to the room - by your own admission, regardless of how brief a time you claim it is still a violation of the no pet policy.
7) At the time of your departure the front desk personnel gave you, at your request, a duplicate copy of the statement for your room charges.
8) Later that afternoon I, as the manager, processed the penalty of $150.00 for the violation of the no pet policy. Sorry but there are no exceptions to this rule. We did not create the house rules just for the fun of it.

We are sorry that you misunderstood the rules or at least chose not to abide by them. But we are serious about all of our rules; from the no pet policy ($150.00 penalty), to the no smoking policy ($150.00 penalty), to the rules regarding quiet hours and unregistered guests. These rules are here for a purpose and we enforce them. Sorry once again for your failure to cooperate.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Every year we stay at the Marguerite Motel for our summer get away. We enjoy the location, hospitality and cleanliness. This year we needed an extra space as my son wanted to share the " Hampton experience" with us.Initially I was disheartened when I learned the 2 bedroom units were taken.Then Catherine ( the desk clerk) offered another option, an apartment further up the beach. She told me it had 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen and ocean view. The price was a little more than I had planned on and I was skeptical....would it be a run down beach house with a minimal view? Catherine emailed photo's of the "pent house". It was perfect, just what I was looking for...we could enjoy the ocean / sun right from the front porch and when you had to much sun you could go to the back porch cool off and looked over the marsh.
When we arrived I was surprised...it was more than I had hoped for. The rooms were large, bright and clean. The kitchen was well supplied with pots and pans, dishes, utensils, microwave, coffee pot ( got to have my morning coffee! ) a full refrigerator. The living room had a slider out to a large front porch with a spectacular view of the ocean ( no obstacles) which can be also seen from the living room. The master bedroom was beautiful with a shell /rock fire place, sitting area with separate sleeping area, the back bedroom was large and spacious, the 3rd bedroom had 2 twin beds which my daughter and granddaughter immediately claimed. Each bedroom had a closet and air conditioner. An added bonus to the apartment was the upright washer and dyer. We were allowed to park at the Marguerite Motel when we went down to the pulse of Hampton Beach but we were able to escape back to the apartment for the quiet of the rolling ocean. We enjoyed our stay tremendously and hope to return back to the penthouse again next year. Our thanks to Catherine and the Marguerite Staff for making our Hampton getaway a great family experience!!! Judy

Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Motel staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and the pool was quite nice. We liked the location and could walk everywhere and will certainly return in the future. Will certainly tell our friends how much we enjoyed the Marguerite Motel.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We enjoyed ourselves. We were 1 block from the beach and saw the sunrise 2 mornings in a row. Which was VERY AWESOME!! We would stay there again and suggest to friends to stay there also. We were within walking distance of the Boardwalk and restaurants and the beach.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Hotel was clean. Like the fact that floors are laminate and not rug. Staff was very friendly. Pool was nice and clean and location was great-1 block from beach. Loved outside grills and picnic tables. There was a mix up with my room and the staff fixed the problem which was great. The bedspreads and blankets were torn and a little gross. I always bring my own blankets anyway. Sheets were clean. Downside-small rooms -We were there 2 nights so it was manageable. I would go back and plan to!