“Convenient location but...”
Review of Sands Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Sands Resort
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked one night because we were going to a concert at the Casino Ballroom. The room was small, dingy, and stale. The bedspread looked like someone had been sitting on it and the pillow case had a stain and a hair on it. I asked the front desk to please change the bed linens.
Even with the linen change I didn't want to lay my head on the pillow. I didn't even bring my suitcase up to the room ~ just my toothbrush. The young girl at the front desk was nice ~ but I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PTVT

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here Friday and Saturday night August 16th and 17th. We went to check in around noon and was told our room wasn't ready yet, but we could park and pay our balance and when our room was ready they would call, I thought no problem!!! The girl was so pleasant! We paid our balance got our parking pass and asked for a recommendation on where to have lunch, I believe the gentleman sitting at the desk doing paperwork was the manager and he gave us 3-4 great places, also very pleasant, except that he was wearing a Yankees hat haha. Anyways we went to lunch, the beach and walked around, came back around 2:30pm checked in no problems, got our keys, went up to our room on the 3rd floor, walked in to a fresh clean smelling room. The room was extremely clean! A little old yes, but very clean!!! I think maybe some of the negative reviews, the guests confuse old for dirty! The room was far from dirty. We even noticed we only had 2 bars of soap so we noticed a couple housekeepers in the hall and asked for a couple more bars and they were so friendly and asked us if we needed anything else. When we checked out Sunday the staff at the front desk asked us how was our stay we told them terrific and that we'd be back for sure!!!! I would recommend this place to anyone!!! The entire staff was extremely kind and the rooms were pleasant!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Phantom050
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Stayed at the Sands Resort this past weekend and WILL NEVER GO BACK OR RECOMMEND! The rooms were not only filthy, sticky and dirty but the furniture stained and smelly! At $275 per night I would expect at least a clean room. The bathroom was not only filthy but the plastic shower liner was covered in soap scum and mildew. The toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in a very long time, the shower as well looked like it had not been scrubbed down either. The dishes in the kitchen were so gross I would not have even washed them and used them. The kitchen cabinets were filled with cracked paneling inside and wood chips. The plastic trim on the corners of walls was filled with dust, dirt and hair. The walls throughout our room had some form of brown/rusty stain coming down the walls as well.

The "hot tub" spa was nothing like the description. We only looked at it and after that realized we would not be going in. It was housed in a room that looked like something out of a horror movie. The gym facility was worn and grimy and the bathroom off of the gym was even more disgusting than the one in our room.

I work in the travel industry and will tell clients to steer clear of this place. I would like to say that the staff was exceptionally nice and professional. But a nice smile and attitude does not make up for the uncleanliness and filth you will find in the rooms or throughout the facility.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank J Kimberly M
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We should have looked at all these reviews and not stayed in Hampton!! the place stunk!!,, the door to the balcony was open letting the hot air in so I closed it and went to turn on the AC unit, but first I had to clean it!! front of it was full of stuff and so was the filter! After cleaning it I left the dirt towel on the table below it so house keeping could see where all that dirt came from, poor chance of that though, when they came the next day they just left the dirty towel where it laid!! Couch was about on the floor and looked very used and abused, wall paper was coming of the wall. 3 of the so called kitchen chairs were broken, one was completely missing a piece of it's back. The lamp shade to the one light in the living room area had some kind stain on it in the inside that looked like it had been there quite awhile. The towel rack in the bathroom was coming off the wall on both ends, the tub was dirty inside and needed to be bleached, when sitting on the toilet and looking at the bathroom sink you could see how disgusting the faucet was with build up and had not been cleaned. There was stuff stained and stuck on the door to where the trash went in the kitchen. The WORST PART WAS THE 3 FREAKIN BED BUGS I FOUND IN BED WITH ME!!! gross gross gross!!!! I killed them and was not able to stay in that room. My husband was so tired he did sleep on the couch were he had slept the night before due to the bed being so hard he put his shoulder out. However I got dressed, put my things together and went to sleep in my car!! The security guard asked if everything was ok and I said no, I told him about everything and said the bed bugs was it for me, I was sleeping in my car. He said for me to be sure to tell the morning person and he would leave a note. It would have been nice to get everything off my chest in the am but when my husband woke me around 6am there was no one at the desk, it was shut with a metal gate locked on it. We got our things together and went back down, still no one. So we came home and after I slept the day, due to lack of being about to actually sleep in the car, I called the Sands. The young sounding man on the on phone didn't seem to care about any of what I said. He asked if there was anything they could do for me and I said yes, clean the place up and get rid of the bed bugs!! I can't believe that that person actually lives there,, how disgusting!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Marlisa C
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I dont understand how people give this place gd reviews ? This place is gross and i will never stay again ! Smelled of sweat couches were nasty. Floor covered in beach sand ac blew hot air ! Staff wefe rude and creepy nite staff woke us up 1 oclock in the mornin .. beating on the door acussing us of smokin weed !?!? I can go on and on!!it was like the bates mtel mixed with the twilitezone!! just read the reviews and dont make the same mistake as me!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank tl1000rtruelove
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here in early July, and were grossly disappointed. We told by the front staff that we got the best room in the that is the case, it scares me to think what the other rooms are like!
As we opened the door to the room, we were welcomed with a strong smell of a stinky dorm room: cigarettes, dirty wet clothes, garbage. And the looks went along with the smell: the place was dirty, the couch ripped and stained, kitchen table and counters sticky, bath tub dirty, balcony railing so wobbly, that we told our kids to stay away from the balcony. The tv was very old and only showed a distorted picture. Kids found it funny and entertaining to watch people with giant watermelon shaped heads, us adults not so much.
We contemplated to ask for our money back and try to find another place, but since we were there just for two nights decided to stay. First thing we did though, was to drive to the local and bought our own sheets and air freshener. Those made the stay just a little more bearable.
As we checked out, the front staff barely looked at us, simply took the keys and wished us a safe drive. No, "How was your stay?", "Hope to see you again?", nothing. Suppose she knew what the answer would have been if she asked any of those standard courtesy questions!
The saying "you get what you pay for", doesn't even apply here. Even if the per night fee is fairly cheap, it is way too much for what this place is. Never again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane C
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our first stay at the Sands Resort. The staff was very friendly and professional. Out visit was for three nights. Unfortunately, due to car problems, we had to cut our trip short by one night. The staff was so nice and helpful. We were even reimbursed for the night that we could not stay. This was very happy surprise to a frustrating situation.
Our room was a little outdated, but very clean. The queen bed was very comfortable. The pull-out couch was worn, but worked without any problem and was fine for my nine year old.
There is a very well maintained play ground at the hotel also.
Overall our stay was great!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family