“A nice restful campground” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tidewater Campground

Tidewater Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampton
Tidewater Campground
A TripAdvisor Member
“A nice restful campground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2004

We are seasonal campers at Tidewater and we are very happy here. We love the idea of quiet. This is our place of peace. We didn't come here to have people partying every night. We have friends that camp here and we get together and sit around the campfire, we don't get bothered. We find the owners to be nice and most of the rules are just common sense.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2004

We were treated so poorly by the woman in the front office before we even got a chance to ask her if there was space available. When we entered the front office, she was sorting the mail and never even acknowledged our presence. It was clear that she was "putting us in our places" and establishing her superiority over us immediately by making us wait for her while she finished. Not even a hello! My husband, a very down to earth, happy guy, was casually whistling to himself while we waited, an absent-minded habit of his that I've come to love, and she actually YELLED AT HIM! She said that his whistling was very distracting to her. He apologized, then looked at me as if to say, "Did she really just do that?" I was so appalled and angry that I politely told her where she, her attitude, and the "Holy Land" that it sat on could go and we high-tailed it out of there as fast as we could go. We will never return, and you can be assured that we will tell EVERYBODY WE KNOW about this place.

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2004

Nightmare from the beginning. The woman in the office and her husband were VERY unfriendly. Rude and made us feel unwelcomed. You can't do anything here, there are signs everywhere telling the don't's of the place. And campfires are looked at as having way too much fun!! They watched us like a hawk and constantly yellling their walking speed for driving through that place. I don't think its possible to dirve that slow. We tried and still was yelled at!!! We've been camping for years and are NOT rowdy campers. We keep to ourselves we have 2 young children. At this place we were made to feel like unwelcomed guests! I would NEVER go back here and recommend the same for others.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2003

I have never been treated so rudely anywhere! The owners spent most of their time yelling at their "guests" for driving too fast "Three miles an hour is not walking speed". My family arrived the night before me and I could see our campsite from the office when I went to check in, so I sent my teenage son and his girlfriend to wait for me at the camper while I checked in the second automobile. The owner came out of the office screaming that this was private property and who did they think they were walking around. I was stunned! I quietly stood next to her and said "why are you yelling at my children?" She snarled that this was private property and they couldn't just go anywhere they want.
I told her they were going to our campsite. She glared at me in disbelief and said "a campsite here?". I said yes, told her the campsite number and our name. She then huffed "is that car registered?" I said, no, that is why I am here in front of you now. Honestly, if we hadn't planned to attend the Seafood Festival, I would have turned around and headed home. I will never recommend this place, nor would I give them another cent of my money. When my 13 year-old son went into the store to purchase some candy, she said to him" When you want something you should say please, I shouldn't give you anything." Excuse me, I do teach my children to be polite, but shouldn't she say "may I please help you?" and "thank you for shopping here" none of which ever came out of her mouth. Warn everyone to stay away from this one!

27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2003

It was our first excursion to the Hampton Beach, NH area and I carefully researched the campgrounds that I wanted to stay at in this area. Well I picked the Tidewater Campground. What a BIG MISTAKE. Upon checking in the campground, the welcome was absolutely terrible!!!!!
and I mean terrible. Signs all over the place, don't do this and don't do that. Not a very friendly campground at all. We had campfires every nite which seemed to be taboo. We were watched closely every day. We were very good, no noise and all. I don't know what their problem was.
I would not recommend this campground to anyone. In all my years of camping, I have never felt so unwelcome. I wrote them a letter to let them know how I felt. Alot of good that did. I didn't expect to get a response.

37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2003

Went there this year on the 4th of July weekend. Basics: 1. Tent sites - on the smaller side. not very large, but accomodating enough for a bench, a 3 person tent and a car.
2. Toilets - Clean.
3. Showers - Clean. 25c per 3 minute shower.
4. Noise level - Quiet time is 10 PM, so the place gets quite quiet.
HOWEVER, proximity to Rt. 1 may have caused excessive highway noise at some sites. We were lucky not to have one close to the highway.
5. Pool/Picnic Area/Basketball and softball courts - In good condition.
6. Friendly staff - I've heard some people getting mad at them for the continuous nagging about driving at walking speed (they are obsessive about it - signs posted everywhere), but I think if you want a clean, friendly, peaceful and safe atmosphere, you need to provide a clean, friendly, peaceful and safe atmosphere for the ones around you.
7. Misc - Gated entrance. $10 deposit, refundable on checkout. Air for car/bike/whatever - we had a flat and had forgotten our air pump.
8. Easy access to Hampton beach. I'd suggest biking to the beach (a tiny .1mile stretch on the on ramp to Rt 1A, but after that, you'd be biking past tons of traffic on busy weekends!) Closing statements - If I ever go to Hampton Beach (it was really really crowded), I would WANT to camp at Tidewater again. -J

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2003

My husband and I have been going to Tidewater for 30 years, which has been owned and operated by the same family since then. The previous review says it all. It is a very clean, safe, quiet and friendly campground. We've met people there like us who have been coming for years and a few of them have trailers permanently set up. Hampton Beach is 10 minutes away and the seafood at restaurants is fabulous. Try the scallops and clams. There are shows in the Hampton Beach Centre and fireworks at certain nights of the week. Great place to stay and visit.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member