“Stay Away!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tidewater Campground

Tidewater Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampton
Tidewater Campground
Putnam, Connecticut
“Stay Away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

You should believe what you read about this place. There are to many rules, bad attitudes and unhappy campers.The old man on the bike is a wackadoodle and woman in the office is nasty and rude. Campers beware!

19 Thank Eric Y

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Greenfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

we arrived on a thursday at 8 pm, place was like ghost town. the women inside gave us directions to our site, nobody helped after that. As you all know at 8 pm pitch black and no signs to direct us to our site. 15 minutes later we found it. nice quite evening no body around at all... then comes Friday we had 5 other couples show up during the course of the day. Only allowed one car on each site, had to park other in a separate lot, no a big deal. until she was really only going 5 miles a hour and the gate keeper started yelling at her to slow down, she slowed down and he kept on yelling to the point of being a fool. we parked and went back to our sites. They sat in the window of the welcome shack and starred all of us down. That night 12 of us sitting around a nice quite campfire enjoying ourselves, And I swear we where not load at all, the camp ground patrol came by and told us 10 pm is quite time, he could here us 2 sites away. At approx 10:45 he showed back up and told us 15 more minutes and put the fire out. He then proceeded to look in our campfire and said HEY THAT WOOD DOES NOT LOOK FAMILIAR. now the are experts on wood, we told him we bought it up the street for 1/2 the price you sell it for... he said no other wood allowed on there property. We let the fire go out and basically had to go to bed at 11, that must be what they push for. The next night was basically the same crap. They are Rude, unprofessional, and treat everyone like 5 year olds. I wanted a nice relaxing weekend with family and friends and they made it awful for all. I don't now how anyone would ever go back after what we went through, and what everyone else was saying. They really need to run a business with respect to there customers and when people get out of control, then lay down the rules. It felt like we where in a concentration camp. I hope they read this and improve there ways. If you 85 and want to go to bed at 8 and sleep till 11 this is your place. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
16 Thank mike13duke
Barre, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

I booked a site for Labor Day weekend 2012. My family arrived and we went in the office to check in. My nine year old daughter was tapping her fingers and Mrs. Shaw snapped at her to stop doing it. She (Mrs. Shaw) seemed extremely rude and unpleasant. Maybe just a fluke? Nope...

So I finally get ready to pull into my site (after being lectured about the WALKING SPEED speed limit). I look at the site and think there must have been a mistake. There was no way I was going to fit my fifth wheel in that tiny spot. I backed it in and there was no way I was going to be able to open my slides and my awning. I went back to office and explained my situation to Mrs. Shaw. I advised her I had explained the size of my fifth wheel when I booked the site and she rudely says, "I have put 40 foot campers there before." I told her that there was no possible way I was going to open my slides and awning with the trees that are there. I had no option except to pull my camper as far forward as possible and not open my awning all the way.

So camping begins, and my family and I are rarely at the campground. We spend as much time away from there as possible. My wife went to store on the first night and upon arrival back to the campground was met by Mr. Shaw. My wife claims Mr. Shaw yelled at her for driving to fast. My wife says she was doing 5 MPH and Mr. Shaw continued to yell at her about the speed.

So I was getting upset at the Shaw's horrible attitude towards everyone. The next day I observed Mr. Shaw in action. I was walking back to my camper and he rode his bike up to a car which was pulling in. He immediately began yelling, "Walking Speed! Walking Speed!" The poor woman in the vehicle was stunned by this old geezer yelling at her. She explained she was not doing more than 5 MPH. Mr. Shaw then got into a full blown argument with the woman. He yelled, "You never mind the miles per hour, it is walking speed! I am the boss here!" The woman (who appeared to be about to cry) said calmly that she was driving a standard and was already riding the clutch. Then I thought Mr. Shaw was going to explode...He yelled at her again that the speed limit was walking speed. The poor woman actually had a person get out of the vehicle and walk in front of her car as she drove so she would know she was not going too fast.

So the next day I observed the Shaw's kicking a family out of the campground. Now I have no idea why, but the old geezer Shaw was out in the yard taunting the family as they pulled out. He was waving and smiling at them.

It seems to me that the Shaw family thinks they are elite and better than everyone else. They continually talked to people in a condescending way and seems like they were always looking for confrontation.

Hey Mr. and Mrs. Shaw ... what is walking speed anyways? Is it 2, 3, 4 or 5 MPH. My vehicle's speedometer reads in MPH not walking, jog, run and sprint. Maybe if you said the speed limit was 5 MPH you would have to yell at people less. Wait, I think I heard Mr. Shaw say never mind the miles per hour...I think he actually enjoys the confrontation.

So needless to say, my family will never go back to Tidewater. Not as long as the Old Betty and her Geezer husband are there. It is too bad too...This could be a great business with the right owners and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank Kevin M
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Too many rules. Not family or children friendly. Camping is meant to be fun, kids are meant to go meet other kids and play games, etc. which I really didn't see happening here. Rules prevent the fun and noise the kids might make and have. I grew up going camping with my family and we met other kids, played outdoor games past dark, had some fun, we also stayed up late, had a campfire, told stories/jokes, etc. but BEWARE, here, campfires must be out by 11pm ( yes, OUT. We got warned). Better yet, quiet time is 10pm. Negative signs everywhere tell you what you can't do. I would never bring kids here, it is a geriatric oriented community with campers and small trailers, some which you could see haven't been moved in years. ( clearly summer homes for the retired) . Safety in a campground should always be a concern, but really? Telling someone to slow down when they are barely coasting. I'm 55 and I can walk faster than 3mph (proposed walking speed in this campground), and to be scolded when coasting, no one around except the scolder is about as trivial as it gets. While mrs owner seemed friendly, I felt she talked down to me drilling the rules in on checkin and mr owner made it a point to make me walk back out to my car to get the rear view mirror campsite ticket (dated with our lic. Plate) and bring it back in in order to checkout ( not very nicely asked btw, it was needed so no one would use it to Sneak in. ( I almost lol'd ) ma'am we would never sneak back in nor would think anyone would want to. It is my humble opinion that we would never use this campground again and should have read the reviews here first.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Odinbear
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We go to camp with my family 1-2 times a year. We haven't been in Hampton Beach for 8 years because our previous campground ( Blackbear got filthy). So we tried Tidewater this year.

We spent 3 nights at Tidewater. We loved the place. It is conveniently located 2 miles from the beach. Since it is close to the highway, you can hear cars in the background but it is not a big deal. Rather the birds at 5AM are too noisy …

The grounds are beautiful and site tent sites are well distributed across the wood. All tent sites are in shelter. Each has its own table and fireplace. We loved the fact that tents sites are well delimited.

There are as many rules at this campground, as there are in the West Virginia hunting regulations (when, how, so on). But those rules are to keep the kids safe. This is a pure family campground. You will see kids playing everywhere on the road and on the camp sites, really running everywhere not looking at all at the cars. I loved this quite place.

If you are a family on party you will not like this campground.

We loved this place because it was very quite. Cars were riding very slowly and camp fires were all out at 11PM. We had 3 good night of sleep from 10PM to 7AM !

The pool area is a great place to relax at 5PM after a hard day at the beach !

The only down side is the toilets and the showers. They are just in the average but they are still clean and smell good.

Next time we return to Hampton we will definitely go to Tidewater !

Room Tip: Try to restaurants in Hampton, Airfield cafee is a great place to hang out with kids for the breakfa...
      Rooms
6 Thank rew345
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I am currently here on vacation with my wife and daughter, and have been here 7 days so far and decided to stay an extra day .Being a camper for the past 20 years in various Canadian and american campgrounds I must say it is a great campground and 2 miles from the beach .Yes you need to drive really slow to avoid hitting children but hey , If I owned a campground I would probably have the same rules.Drivers do tend to be fast in campings.There is a pool and park for kids with a big field for soccer and basketball court as well,along with a small arcade. The washrooms are very clean .The newly renovated Ceramic showers are actually the best I have ever seen in any campground in the past 20 years .Theresa is very welcoming and ready to help when needed. The seasonal's need to respect the rules as much as visitors which is fair for everyone.The only cons I found in this campground were the lack of activites for kids ,and no laundry rooms .However the laundromat is about 5 minutes driving distance away which helps.The thing we appreciate the most is not hearing dogs barking at about 5 o'clock in the morning because dogs are not permitted and it is very quiet .You do have a slight foul smell of the marsh in the evenings but it is not dramatic and it also gives you a great breeze and way less insects as well. We love this ! I would definitely return here again .

5 Thank MarknHeidi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

I'm one for writing reviews but after all the reviews of tidewater campground, I felt the need to write one myself. My camping trip.... Which I'm currently sitting at 48A.. I'm on the fourth day of my vacation. My husband and I are from upstate NY... While in the car for 4 1/2 hours, we were little scared driving all this way with such bad reviews. But we check with Thersea, with a positive attitude.. And she was sweet as pie and very helpful. We absolutely love our site! We have a pop up.. Swims on site it's so big. Thersea actually gave us an adapter to hook our grey water to the sewage so we didn't have to deal with the tank. My husband and I are a younger couple 23 and 25 and we did not feel watched at all, I barely saw people patrolling the area. The speed limit they are strict, my husband was annoyed by it because he felt he was riding his clutch the whole way.. We got waved to slow down only once, but having a standard truck it was kind of difficult to only go 3mph. The ocean marsh does have a smell, more stronger at night I thought.. But we could deal with it. Getting the ocean was soooo easy.. We went everyday, sometimes twice a day. I loved having a security gate, we come and go as we please. And we felt our site was safe leaving it for hours. The campground is the cleanest I've ever seen!! Bathrooms are cleaned as least twice a day, site get raked, showers are huge... But just need more light in them. Each campsite has a cement fireplace (awesome), and picnic table in great shape. ( we have been to campgrounds before were the picnic table looked about 30 years old with broken boards... These are awesome!) We went to the pool once, kind of small. Overall, if you are not loud campers at night, do the speed limit and walk in with a smile... You won't be disappointed. We plan to make this a trip every year. But when comes time to have kids though, we may need a different campground to keep them entertained. I don't believe they have any activities for children. Overall 4/5 stars and we look forward to coming back!!

• Stayed July 2012