“Scolded”

Tidewater Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampton
Tidewater Campground
“Scolded”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Too many rules. Not family or children friendly. Camping is meant to be fun, kids are meant to go meet other kids and play games, etc. which I really didn't see happening here. Rules prevent the fun and noise the kids might make and have. I grew up going camping with my family and we met other kids, played outdoor games past dark, had some fun, we also stayed up late, had a campfire, told stories/jokes, etc. but BEWARE, here, campfires must be out by 11pm ( yes, OUT. We got warned). Better yet, quiet time is 10pm. Negative signs everywhere tell you what you can't do. I would never bring kids here, it is a geriatric oriented community with campers and small trailers, some which you could see haven't been moved in years. ( clearly summer homes for the retired) . Safety in a campground should always be a concern, but really? Telling someone to slow down when they are barely coasting. I'm 55 and I can walk faster than 3mph (proposed walking speed in this campground), and to be scolded when coasting, no one around except the scolder is about as trivial as it gets. While mrs owner seemed friendly, I felt she talked down to me drilling the rules in on checkin and mr owner made it a point to make me walk back out to my car to get the rear view mirror campsite ticket (dated with our lic. Plate) and bring it back in in order to checkout ( not very nicely asked btw, it was needed so no one would use it to Sneak in. ( I almost lol'd ) ma'am we would never sneak back in nor would think anyone would want to. It is my humble opinion that we would never use this campground again and should have read the reviews here first.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Odinbear

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We go to camp with my family 1-2 times a year. We haven't been in Hampton Beach for 8 years because our previous campground ( Blackbear got filthy). So we tried Tidewater this year.

We spent 3 nights at Tidewater. We loved the place. It is conveniently located 2 miles from the beach. Since it is close to the highway, you can hear cars in the background but it is not a big deal. Rather the birds at 5AM are too noisy …

The grounds are beautiful and site tent sites are well distributed across the wood. All tent sites are in shelter. Each has its own table and fireplace. We loved the fact that tents sites are well delimited.

There are as many rules at this campground, as there are in the West Virginia hunting regulations (when, how, so on). But those rules are to keep the kids safe. This is a pure family campground. You will see kids playing everywhere on the road and on the camp sites, really running everywhere not looking at all at the cars. I loved this quite place.

If you are a family on party you will not like this campground.

We loved this place because it was very quite. Cars were riding very slowly and camp fires were all out at 11PM. We had 3 good night of sleep from 10PM to 7AM !

The pool area is a great place to relax at 5PM after a hard day at the beach !

The only down side is the toilets and the showers. They are just in the average but they are still clean and smell good.

Next time we return to Hampton we will definitely go to Tidewater !

Room Tip: Try to restaurants in Hampton, Airfield cafee is a great place to hang out with kids for the breakfa...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank rew345
Laval, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I am currently here on vacation with my wife and daughter, and have been here 7 days so far and decided to stay an extra day .Being a camper for the past 20 years in various Canadian and american campgrounds I must say it is a great campground and 2 miles from the beach .Yes you need to drive really slow to avoid hitting children but hey , If I owned a campground I would probably have the same rules.Drivers do tend to be fast in campings.There is a pool and park for kids with a big field for soccer and basketball court as well,along with a small arcade. The washrooms are very clean .The newly renovated Ceramic showers are actually the best I have ever seen in any campground in the past 20 years .Theresa is very welcoming and ready to help when needed. The seasonal's need to respect the rules as much as visitors which is fair for everyone.The only cons I found in this campground were the lack of activites for kids ,and no laundry rooms .However the laundromat is about 5 minutes driving distance away which helps.The thing we appreciate the most is not hearing dogs barking at about 5 o'clock in the morning because dogs are not permitted and it is very quiet .You do have a slight foul smell of the marsh in the evenings but it is not dramatic and it also gives you a great breeze and way less insects as well. We love this ! I would definitely return here again .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank MarknHeidi
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I'm one for writing reviews but after all the reviews of tidewater campground, I felt the need to write one myself. My camping trip.... Which I'm currently sitting at 48A.. I'm on the fourth day of my vacation. My husband and I are from upstate NY... While in the car for 4 1/2 hours, we were little scared driving all this way with such bad reviews. But we check with Thersea, with a positive attitude.. And she was sweet as pie and very helpful. We absolutely love our site! We have a pop up.. Swims on site it's so big. Thersea actually gave us an adapter to hook our grey water to the sewage so we didn't have to deal with the tank. My husband and I are a younger couple 23 and 25 and we did not feel watched at all, I barely saw people patrolling the area. The speed limit they are strict, my husband was annoyed by it because he felt he was riding his clutch the whole way.. We got waved to slow down only once, but having a standard truck it was kind of difficult to only go 3mph. The ocean marsh does have a smell, more stronger at night I thought.. But we could deal with it. Getting the ocean was soooo easy.. We went everyday, sometimes twice a day. I loved having a security gate, we come and go as we please. And we felt our site was safe leaving it for hours. The campground is the cleanest I've ever seen!! Bathrooms are cleaned as least twice a day, site get raked, showers are huge... But just need more light in them. Each campsite has a cement fireplace (awesome), and picnic table in great shape. ( we have been to campgrounds before were the picnic table looked about 30 years old with broken boards... These are awesome!) We went to the pool once, kind of small. Overall, if you are not loud campers at night, do the speed limit and walk in with a smile... You won't be disappointed. We plan to make this a trip every year. But when comes time to have kids though, we may need a different campground to keep them entertained. I don't believe they have any activities for children. Overall 4/5 stars and we look forward to coming back!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ericallynn
Hudson, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I do like the quiet, so I was very impressed with the cleanliness and the peacefulness of this park. We only stayed three nights and never sat outside as we were on the go most of the day. It did get humorous to watch people driving "walking speed", as this is basically a crawl in an auto. However, I can appreciate how saft this makes it for the kids. All the other rules were the same as any other campground. The only difference is that THEY ENFORCE the rules here, and don't let people get too loud or drive too fast.

My GPS did not locate it coming from the South off Exit 1, rte 95, so USE exit 2, as the directions tell you. If you come from the South up Rte 1, you have to go around what is basically a rotary to head South on Rte 1. Once on Rte 1 South the campground is easy to find on the right...but the GPS may believe that 160 Lafayette Rd is 1/4 mile further down Rte 1 !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Trois-Rivières, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We were really upset with our experience at this campground.

Not only we need to be COMPLETELY silent after 10 and no more fire after 11:00, they would not allow us to put 2 tents on one campground. Also, they made us pay for the 2 extra adults. It ended up costing us 50 $ a night for 4 adults on a camp site!

The owners are really strict on rules and check everything. They do not like young people and are really condescendant. They will not let you enter with a surf board.

Ideal for older people who want a quiet place
Close to the beach (5 min by car)

Room Tip: tent sites are really close to each other
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank anais123
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I was a sesonal camper here for 2 seasons. The campground is reasonable priced and convenient to the beach. The owners are very rude and yes there are a lot of rules. I did not mind the rules of driving slow as I have young children. I felt the campgrund was very safe for my children and we met some wonderful people. I avoided the office as much as possible as she is always rude and unfriendly. Otherwise it is a clean and well maintained campground. I am no longer seasonal as they do not offer planned activities and I would like more things for my children to do then the 1 playground and the small arcade.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Campingfool1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Atlantic Breeze Suites
Atlantic Breeze Suites
#6 of 41 in Hampton
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook

Been to Tidewater Campground? Share your experiences!