“SUCKS”

Tidewater Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampton
Tidewater Campground
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Our annual Father's Day Camping Trip. Will not return ever again!! Be prepared to be scolded if you drive over 2mph, "Walking Speed"!!! Seriously, I cant believe the people at this campground. By the way, I'm writing this review as I am sitting at site 4a. Stay away, go elsewhere, beware!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank depand22
There are newer reviews for Tidewater Campground

Reviewed May 31, 2011

After booking this campground for 3 nights, I went and read the reviews. Oh no, I thought, we made a mistake. We are a family with 2 boys, ages 3 and 8. While generally well behaved, they can be loud. When we got to the campground, my wife went to check in. She returned with several pages of rules, many of which are also posted around the grounds. My wife explained that the owner stressed the driving at camp is walking speed. So we set off toward our campsite at 1-2 miles per hour. Campsite was a bit tight with two trees and a telephone pole by the road (back in), but I was able to get my 29 foot trailer in without too much trouble. Site was almost flat (couple blocks under the wheels), water, electric and sewer all were fine.

Most of the plates in the campground were from Mass (it is only a few miles across the state line), and most of the campers were seasonal (permanently parked with decks, screen rooms, landscaping around their sites). We did have a wooded site, but it appeared that there were also several grassy open areas. Although most trailer sites were used this weekend, there were a lot of tent with electric sites empty, several looked like they had not been used for a while.

Since it is only a few miles to the beach, we didn't spend a lot of time around the campground, but did hit the playground a few times, and went to the pool once. The pool was cold, but looked clean. The restrooms in the campground were clean, they were working on one set of the showers, but since we had a shower in our camper, we did not use any of those. The floors were always wet. Since I don't believe we always followed the cleaning crew, I imagine that is just an uninsulated slab problem. We had a campfire one night, but since we have younger kids, put the fire out and headed into the camper by 9:30 or 10:00.

The biggest complaint I read was on the rules, and they are strict. We treated our 10 minute ride from the entrance to our campsite like a Disney ride. Just going really slowly, but we were in no rush. I did see one man get yelled at, and while I did not think he was going fast, that is one rule they do want followed (he was doing, maybe 5 mph) I did go into the camp store/ office once and while didn't find the woman working to be overly friendly, she was nice enough to me. She even gave my wife two little calendars when we checked out. I did not see them around the campground (except up near the office, and once down in one area), and while I could imagine them enforcing the rules, we did not find them to be excessive to be followed.

My wife and I have been camping together for about 18 years, and both of us for many years before that. While this campground did seem a bit stricter than most, it was not the strictest we have been in. I also have to say that with two young children, not having the party going on at 11:00 pm next door was OK with me.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Robert_Camper
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I rented a site here for my birthday. My friend's family also has a seasonal trailer, which sleeps 10, we had a total of 12 people, should have been more than enough room right??? Well, after I spoke with the owner, Theresea, who made it clear that there were not going to be any parties.... that kinda of thing doesn't happen here... I don't like where this is going, called my friend's father who owns the trailer, who informed her that they knew how many were going and were aware of the weekend plans. Right then I should have know there would be a problem, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt.
When we got up there, four of us checked into my site. We were read the riot act told to drive slow, not to think about causing noise blah blah blah. My friend went to check 8 (2 less than what his trailer sleeps) and she flipped a nutty saying the check-in limit was only 3! We even asked about getting an additional site if it was going to be an issue and she said, "I'm not having a bunch of kids partying here!" Funny how we are kids when your accusing us of something, yet you charge us as adults! So here we are 12 of us no place to go. AVOID!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank mstbeckett
Reviewed July 11, 2010

This privately owned campground has the worst customer service that I have ever experienced in my 30 years of camping throughout the US. You are greeted with pages of rules, negative signs stating the rules all over the campground, and scoldings if you go over the "walking speed limit" that is defined upon registration as "3mph". Never does the management welcome you and feel that they appreciate your business.
Campers must pay an additional $10 fee to cover the swipe card they give you to enter the campground which will be refunded upon checkout. When I asked the management when they opened in the morning, she stated their hours were 8am until 9pm. I asked if I could check out earlier and she responded, "I work 8am to 9pm everyday and I am not gong to get here any earlier than that!" in an unfriendly tone. Now it seems to me that her working hours are not the customer's problem but hers. Opening that late in the morning delay vacationers the ability to get on the road early. I suppose I could have forfeited my $10 but by this time I was so annoyed at the negative tone from the management that I was determined to NOT give them any more of my money. When I checked out, not a word was exchanged between the management and myself.
What a shame! In this economy, I would think they should be trying harder to bring in new business and entice people to make return visits to their campground.
After staying here, I read reviews and realized that many people feel the same way. I agree with all of the negative reviews, especially the review that says, "Stay here only if you are over the age of 80 years old."
Do not stay at this campground, no matter how desperate you are. Pull off the road and sleep in your car if you need to.

• Stayed: July 2010
5  Thank kayakwi
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I used to go to this campsite every year when I was a child and it was great. Sadly, things seem to have changed. The rules are just horrible, it's like being in a military camp. I went there to introduce some of my friends to my beloved childhood experience and got treated like dirt. Because we were in our mid twenties, we were watched like hawks. We were not a loud group of people, we respected that there are children around trying to sleep but we also wanted to have a good vacation. We wanted to have a few drinks around the fire and were told we were too loud, fire was too big, anything to provoke us. Finally we just left. Want a good campsite in Hampton? Try Shel-Al in North Hampton, it's only an added 5 minutes to the beach and the owners are just fantastic! We had a blast and the sites are huge!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank stephaniejm
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This camp ground is the best around the area. If you want to drink and party this campgrounds is not for you. They have rules but all there rules are for good reasons. Driving slow is only for the pertection of all the small children in the campgrounds on bikes. As for Wally riding his bike around the camp grounds it is more for his health than anything else. If it bothers you then maybe you are breaking rules. We have been a seasonal for 9 years and wouldn't go any where else. Yes all the rules are for both seasonals and nightly guest.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank lelenois
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Go with your intuition on this one, not with the bad reviews. Thatswhat we did. We had a wonderful time there. We now go all the time. The awful lady in the office is not thst at all. Shes a very pleasant person, as her husband and sons too. Anything we needed we got. No questions asked. Anyone would drive slowly through a campground if they had any comon sense. There are many children riding bikes and walking. The owner drives around to make sure thes rules are followed. That shows they really care. I would suggest all my family and friends come here. Its a very safe, clean, friendly place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NuttyIam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Hampton Village Resort
#13 of 41 in Hampton
Seabrook Inn
Seabrook Inn
#3 of 3 in Seabrook

Been to Tidewater Campground? Share your experiences!