“Poor service, not professional staff, computer software inadquate”

Ashworth by the Sea
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Hampton
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Poor service, not professional staff, computer software inadquate”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I called to move the date to Valentines Day in January. I was told we were booked. I received and email confirmation with another date. I called again a few days later. At that time of they are not open daily, so I was not getting anyone when I called during the week. I finally got someone and told them that the email confirmation was wrong. The person said they would re-book it. I didn't get another confirmation and had to call the hotel again. The next person who picked up said the hotel is fully booked and that I should have checked the website. I told the person to cancel our reservation, I would not be going there.

I then receive an email remind us of our a reservation. So now I have to call the hotel again. I did get a more professional person who apologies for and stated that there is a software issues, so that when anyone makes a change to the reservation, it doesn't make the update. Apparently that is true for their survey email too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dissappointing2014
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
I sincerely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience caused by these clerical errors. I understand your frustration and encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel so that I can take care of you personally.

Yours in Hospitality,
Tom Cannizaro, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Polish first
Taunton mass
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for the penquin plundge from thurs to Sunday, I enjoyed the stay very much, the food was priced right and the quality of it was excellent , I had injured my knee prev. To staying here and the room attentent saw that i needed ice she went n got a ice bucket wit h ice and plastic bags to ice it. She went out of her way, this was nice,the rooms were clean ,bed was comfortable , the only fall back yes the decks are small ,I look forward to comming back before summer time

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Bangor, Maine, USA
Reviewed March 16, 2014

It's definitely a summer location but nice little town. The room was on the small side but the beds were great. We also had a view of the ocean. A breakfast joint with pretty good tasting food. The girls at the desk were really nice along with the valet guy.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank deejay207
Bellingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Booked a room on a Saturday night. They have a music dance every weekend. Music blares and can be heard on all floors. Don't book on a weekend if you want to sleep. So inconsiderate. Food was awful at the restaurant though the waitress was great. Would not recommend this place.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank ThreeontheRoad27
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for offering valuable feedback. I understand how important a good night's sleep is to a comfortable stay and sincerely apologize that ambient noise prevented you from having a restful stay. I understand your frustration and I will look into the noise level on Saturday nights; it doesn't usually pose a problem but we certainly want all of guests to feel accommodated and comfortable. Thank you for your business and I hope you'll give us another chance to demonstrate our commitment to providing you with an excellent experience at the Ashworth.

Mount Sunapee, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I am not sure of all the 'rave' reviews, but I do understand the 'not so rave ones'....then again maybe some people are willing to just 'settle' for a place to stay by the ocean. There were only 2 things I can say that I enjoyed. The fish I ordered at Breakers Restaurant, and the staff...other than that...It was more like staying at an old, average,hotel. My husband ordered the chicken "breast" at Breakers and got something that looked like a very small cornish game hen piece with the leg still attached...not impressed for $20. It was a mere 3 bites and its gone. The pillows have much to be desired on the beds. They are comparable to sleeping on hard pancakes, and the beds are horrible. Also, as many others have said..walls are thin..heard people on both sides of us flushing, closing the 'closet' doors, talking...(at 3 AM)...and as an added bonus, there is about a 3" gap under the door to your room, so you can hear everyone talking, laughing, etc as they go by your room..(as if they were in your room with you)....Be careful if you go in the winter...yes, parking is free, but good luck finding a place to park as there is so much snow that was not removed, that it limits the parking spaces...Oh sure, you can park in front to the side, but be aware that area is not plowed...Other than that....the ocean is wonderful!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank H C
Colwen_MGMT, General Manager at Ashworth by the Sea, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us; I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal at Breakers and our friendly staff. However, I sincerely apologize that you found the rest of your experience to be dissatisfying. Thank you for your candor and I hope you'll give us another chance to provide you with a perfect stay.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Nice place in the winter. My kids loved the heated pool which was in the 70s. Restaurant service was excellent but breakfast food much better than dinner. Rooms are reasonable size for a seaside hotel. Only complaint, walls are thin and you can definitely hear your neighbor flush or open the balcony door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert J
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Clean, fun and convenient hotel. Breakers was great and a lot of fun. The service at the hotel was really friendly and nice. Stayed here for the Half at the Hamptons Half Marathon. Perfect location for this!! Free parking. Our room had a view of the sunrise and sunset. So pretty. Very clean hotel. Breakfast cafe was yummy and totally convenient. Opened up early

ONLY complaint about the entire weekend was that we asked 3 times for a late checkout/confirmed late checkout. After the half marathon, our room key stopped working for us at regular checkout time (11 AM). And when we asked for a later checkout downstairs after we got locked out she said we were already checked out. So that was kind of a bummer. We felt rushed to get out of there instead of attending the race after party.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends