The Tides Motel
Hillcrest Inn(Hampton)
Janmere Motel(Hampton)
Dolphyn Motel(Hampton)
View Hotel
All reviewsmini fridgeplace to stayrooms are cleanqueen roomminute walkwithin walking distancemattress
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at The Tides for just one night in mid-October while attending our 50th high school reunion. Yes, this is an older motel but the room was very large, very clean and quite comfortable. The bathroom is dated and somewhat cramped and there is not a lot of elbow room. The water was hot and the water pressure was excellent. The room should probably be "modernized" at some point. The front desk gladly provided an iron and ironing boar when asked. All in all it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: This is by no means a "luxury" hotel but should satisfy your basic needs
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlaskaFlamingo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Room 4 had a VERY tiny sink with a shelf built right above it; impossible to wash your face, or even brush your teeth without smashing your head. Carpets dirty, housekeeping actually made the bed with a pillow in the middle under the covers, and just threw the blankets on top of mine, never cleaned the sink, toilet or shower/tub. Ceiling tiles in disrepair, NO PHONES in room, scary area of town where there was a murder down the street the day we arrived. NO maid service at all on day 2.
Ants all over the place. Did have a microwave (never used it) and fridge. Had AC but it was SOO loud and ancient we turned it on then off again because of how loud it was. Room 3 smelled like old sex and the tiles in the bathroom were full of mould.
I tend to be very relaxed with my attitude towards places, and am VERY open minded. THIS WAS AWFUL. We booked, due to tripadvisors 'fair-good' reviews. OMG! AWFUL! Other people booked the hotel because we did (and the options were limited due to 6,000 people coming into town for the race). I was SO embarassed! DO NOT BOOK HERE! Room 7 was decent and so was room 5, but I think the housekeeping was the worst. I really really really wanted my money back, but we left at 6am and it wasn't soon enough.

Room Tip: do not pick room 4.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank pjdksmith
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Omg couldn't wait to get out of there, we left at 6.20am. The smell was awful and it was not very clean and I don't believe we were given clean towels or bed linen. We saw the cleaner use lots of odour sprays before we went into the room but this didn't mask the smell for very long! There were loose and broken tiles in the bathroom and the inside of the bathroom cabinet was mouldy. The lighting in the room was poor and the low ceilings made the room feel quite dingy.

We couldn't lock the door so had to use a chair to hold against the door, but we didn't feel very safe at all.

The Tides was quite expensive compared to other motels in the area so we had thought that this meant it was better than the others, but the only good things about the place was it's location and the parking so please don't be fooled into thinking the price reflects higher standards. I wish I had slept in the car instead, at least I wouldn't have woken up with bites on my leg.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mpk5
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good lord, almighty! My 87 year old father read the good reviews of this establishment and booked two rooms for 3 nights for a nearby family reunion and we still haven't recovered from the shock. Run-down rooms, awful sheets and quilts, dishrag towels, no phone, no mat in bathtub (my father almost killed himself), bikers outside, smokers everywhere, fights in the parking lot, and outrageously expensive- who the hell are these so-called reviewer guests? I've stayed in a lot of crappy hotels during my lifetime but this one takes the cake. The bill was over 700 bucks which is just absurd. I won't let my dad book hotels on line anymore and reviewers should really, really tell the truth about places like these.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank fluffybacon
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel between August 26th and 29th and were very pleased with our room and the hotel. Nice parking lot which is very practical. Very clean room, beds were comfortable, yes it is a bit older but very well kept and maintained. The maid came each day to make the beds and give us fresh towels. A/C, Fridg, TV and microwave were working fine. Less than 5 minute walk to the beach and right in the middle of the boardwalk which is great ! I will definitely go back to this hotel for our next vacation in Hampton beach. My only complaint, if we can call it that, is the lack of counter or shelves in the bathroom to put toileteries.

Room Tip: we had room 25 on the second floor and it was very spacious and all utilities were in order.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends