“Fun for the kids”
Review of Ruggles Mine - CLOSED

Ruggles Mine
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a great visit to NH for a wedding and had a few hours to spend. We had 5 children ages 3 to 17 to entertain, so off we went to Ruggles Mine. It's not inexpensive (for 4 adults and the kids, admission was $176), but we all had fun. Bring your own flashlight, buckets (or sturdy bags) and hammers if you can. You can collect as many minerals and rocks and you can carry! There are caves to explore, dirt to play in and, of course, rocks to be mined. The boys (even the grown-up ones) all loved using the hammer to collect their treasures.

6  Thank EllenK1

Reviewed September 15, 2012

If you like rocks this is the right place to go. I loved this place, is like being transported back in time at the beginning of the life on Earth. I almoust expected to see dinosaurs that how it was sureal...
I recommend visit this place !

4  Thank vulpy
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had a really good time this weekend at Ruggles Mine. My boyfriend had been there as a kid, and was amazed at how much the place has opened up and widened in the past 40 or so years. Lots of rooms, and caves, and pillars. You go through a large tunnel to get into the mine, which is actually open-air, as there is no longer a roof on the mine. You can follow the path of the mine all the way to the end where it comes out the other side of the mountain. That is where they are currently blasting to get "new material".and the "good stuff" is found. I found lots of different minerals. They gave us a paper at thei beginning tellling what there is to find, and I brought my own pick, pail, bags, and safety glasses (which I learned to do after the Herkimer mine in NY). It was a little expensive at $25 per adult, but it was good for all day and you could come and go to your car as you pleased. The items in the gift shop were reasonable as well, altho not only from Ruggles Mine but from all over the world. I had a great time.

5  Thank Pam C
Reviewed August 21, 2012

It was fun to explore, but expensive for the experience at $25/person. There were many stones, but I would've liked a picture guide so I would know what I was looking at.

3  Thank Katie J
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We visited Ruggle's Mine one week ago. First off, it's rather expensive admission, and then they nickel and dime you to rent picks and pails and buy flashlights. We spent a few hours here hammering at walls, in the caverns, just about everywhere, and came up with very little in the way of minerals and rocks. We did see some "professional" rockhounds there who were finding decent stuff, but they had "real" equipment with them. I noticed that someone said an employee helped show them what, where and how to look, but we saw not a single employee in our time there. We were very disappointed, as we've been to Herkimer, Garnet Mines in the Adirondacks, and Franklin Mine in NJ and had a fantastic time at those places. One last thing--bring bug spray! The place is swarming with bugs and it'll drive you crazy.

4  Thank janeonlongisland