“Rock Hounding!!!”
Review of Ruggles Mine - CLOSED

Ruggles Mine
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The mine is as much or as little work as you what to do! I should bring a pad to knee down on or sit on, a bucket to wash stones, short handle tools, and canvas bags. You need a hammer, pick, three prong hoe, and/or folding shovel/pick. We should have spent more time in the cavels. The mine was worked to get minerals out. The unwanted materials were piled and left. You need to go through the piled material to find the good stuff. In the cave the piles a at least 20 ft deep. We went down a couple of feet is a small area. We found a wide selection of materials to add to my collection.

10  Thank cookt817

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have 2 boys ages 9 and 10, and when they heard about this place, they were so excited! Many caves and such we have been at in the past, have those little gem "mining" areas where you get a bag of rocks and its kind of lame. I never let them waste their money on it. Here, at Ruggles Mine, you can really mine for rocks and minerals! It is in the backwoods of Grafton, NH (and I have seen other people review this and say it is so far off route and hard to find. But there are many signs and it was not hard to find at all.)

Upon arriving, you pay an admission fee - it is on the more expensive side, but you can take home as many rocks and minerals that you mine as you want! We filled an entire shopping bag full. The hammers they rent are only $3 a piece, so that really isn't too bad, considering if you purchased a mining hammer like that, they would be upwards of $40 or more.

The experience itself was awesome! They have a little museum and display on the different minerals you can find specifically there in their caves. Then, after you have looked all of that over, you walk down the path and through a tunnel, and voila! You feel like you are on the set of an Indiana Jones movie, and have just walked into another world. There are cool caves, and rocks and you totally feel like you are out on a treasure hunt.

We spent about 2 hours doing actual mining, although I am sure you could spend all day if you were hard core. The great thing was that one of the employees was down helping everyone identify the different minerals they were looking for, and how to find them. This was a huge help. It was great to know exactly what to look for.

We were very pleased with our experience - it's not something you do every day!

10  Thank Ritawiebner
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Just fun to step back in time and see "how they did it" with a chance to find just the right souvenir.

4  Thank cat t
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We went for the first time yesterday and had a fun and amazing time. It is a huge place filled with lots of incredible tunnels to explore and rocks and samples to collect. What a truly wonderful place to take your budding geologists of all ages. I was somewhat skeptical based on some others peoples reviews, but decided that if you are not into gathering rocks, then this is NOT the place for you. Skip it because those people's reviews are unfair and misleading to others who truly want a fun place that kids and adults alike will enjoy. Bring your backpacks empty so you can fill them with samples, as we did, and as questions of the staff. They are here to help! And all the staff was most friendly and not unkind as some people posted. Go, have fun, and just be a kid again!

7  Thank cbhnewhampshire
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I visited here this past weekend with my two kids aged 8 & 5
Pros:
>Fun stop for family

>Staff was super nice and very helpful, while in the mine they explained about all types of rocks/ minerals and how to use a hammer properly to collect rocks etc.. They even hammered out a piece of uranium for everybody!!

> rent hammer for 3 bucks but had to put down a deposit of 20 (they do allow you to bring in your own buckets/shovels)

> When you walk down, it feels like you are transported, doesn't feel like your still in NH

Cons
> 25 bucks for adult I think 13 for kids
It's a bit pricey for walking and collecting rocks

> I thought it was tricky to find off of 4 and when you do find it the drive up is steep and rocky

Final thought definitely worth a visit once in a life!!

4  Thank TentCamper04