“Hit or Miss”

Back Side Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Goshen
Cuisines: American
Reviewed October 31, 2009

The back side in offers a breakfast brunch on Sundays and dinner on select nights of the week. Make sure you call in advance to see when and what they are serving and ask about price. We went for the breakfast buffet most recently and I was not all impressed. The food was just ok. It may have seemed like they had a lot to pick from but for $20 a person I don't think it was worth it. They offer eggs,bacon,homefries usually eggs benedict and they an aray of pastries and cakes I wouldn't really call it a bruch it is really just a breakfast buffet. For the price and what you get I will not plan on returning anytime soon. The atmosphere is not really there. You walk into this back old time house and there are a few tables here and there and a big kitchen right in the middle. I could make the same things they make and have everyone sit around my kitchen for a lot less money.

Reviewed September 6, 2008

My husband and I ate at The Back Side Inn about five years ago at the recommendation of a neighbor. We were looking for a place to hold our family reunion dinner. At the time, Anne and Glenn had just taken over the Inn.

The food was delicious - that first night and at the reunion dinner months later. Anne worked with us and we developed a winning menu for this, our second reunion, and in time, for the next four reunions.

This past August was our our sixth reunion. Anne catered at my house Friday night, barbecuing chicken and bringing the rest of the meal from the Inn's restaurant. Dinner was a big hit! And on Sat night, she and her staff fed over 40 of us at the Inn. She serves family style which means everyone can have some of everything! It's a fun way to eat, and less expensive than if everyone orders his or her own meal, even from a limited menu.

Working with Anne has been easy and enjoyable. The food is always outstanding, and Anne has honored my request to have as much local and natural/organic ingredients as possible. The staff is friendly and helpful, and after five years, they all feel more like part of the family.

Many family members also stay at the Inn during the reunion, and have done so for five years now.

We have also seen quite a change in the interior and exterior of the Inn. The common rooms have all been painted and lovely art now hangs on the walls. When we first went to the Inn, the paint was faded and the place had a run-down feel to it. It is a quaint, old building and, as such, will never look new. That would remove much of the charm. But the Inn now has a cleaner, brighter look than it had that first year.

My husband and I ate dinner at The Back Side Inn just last night. I had a tossed salad with red, ripe tomatoes from the Inn's garden. We had sea scallops cooked to perfection, local green beans and a delicious rice pilaf. And knowing my dietary restrictions, Anne had prepared a dessert I could actually eat. Yummm!

As a restaurant or a caterer, The Back Side Inn has my unqualified recommendation.