“Smokey smelling rooms”

Town & Country Inn and Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Reviewed February 11, 2014

A group of 16 of us went to the T&C for the Easter Seals Ride-In. The rooms were roomy and fairly clean. They had a 2x2x2 foot refrig that sat on the floor which was not very convenient for us older folks to bend down to use. The room had 2 double beds to provide a sleeping place for 4 but had only 2 bath towels in the room. Beds were too hard for my husband, and pillows were quite flat. This room was promised to be a NON SMOKING room but it wreaked of cigarette smoke! I requested a different room and it, too, wreaked of cigarette smoke!! I went back to the front desk to complain and they said they would take care of it. We went snowmobiling for the day and upon our arrival back to our room, it still wreaked of smoke. I sprayed it with Fabreze but that didn't help either. Four of the other 5 rooms our friends had also had the same horrible smell. These 4 rooms were definitely not worth the money we paid as the rooms were not what what we had been promised. On top of that, we had to wash all our clothes when we got home because they, too, smelled like cigarette smoke. I won't stay at this hotel again for fear that this same thing will happen again. And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke.

Room Tip: Check out the room before you agree to it to be sure it doesn't smell like cigarette smoke. Roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Scott L, Owner at Town & Country Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

We regret to hear about your negative experience concerning the cigarette smoke of the rooms. While we designate our rooms non smoking, unfortunately some guests before you did not abide by this. We do our best concerning this problem. Best of luck to you in the future.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

The T&C is a great value or the whole family,clean rooms,great food,indoor pool ,spar,skiing is only a few miles to Wildcat Mt or Sunday River. I have been snowmobiling there with friends and family for 25 years. You can take off wright from the back-door on to NH trail 19. You can't beat the location or the great staff. Rich E

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

The snowmobiling this year has been absolutely superb! It's nice to hear that you, like many other guests take advantage of trail access right from your room. Thank you for your positive review.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Took my three grandkids there again ,and they had a blast!! Would go there instead of a hotel with a water park ,pool,hot tub and the food was great ,service was also great.we have been there before and we gave the grandkids(one8 yr and 2 12year olds)a choice of where they could go,they picked town and country.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

We are very pleased that you and your grandkids had such a wonderful time. We hope you both choose to come back again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I got rave reviews from several friends on this place so I called and made our reservation for the weekend that came right after Thanksgiving for a room with two double beds since our best friend would be joining us for the weekend as well. The lady I talked to on the phone was very friendly and apologized for not knowing much about the area and what to do there this time of the year besides skiing. She read back my reservation dates to me over the phone twice and gave me a confirmation number. When I boyfriend and I arrived on Friday night the lady behind the counter was very friendly but became frustrated when she couldn't find our reservation for the weekend in the computer. After giving her the confirmation number she discovered that we had been booked for the PREVIOUS weekend. (Apparently we were the third ones that night whose reservations were messed up.) We're not sure what was going on but we figure the hotel was completely booked because she upgraded us to a suite for the same cost that the room with the two beds. The building where our room was in was at the opposite end of the property but that was fine with us because we like our privacy. We were also the only ones in the building which was also fine with us.

Our room was spectacular. (My boyfriend is quite tall and we need a queen size bed for him.) The main part of the room had a king size bed and a nice couch and table. The closet was large and the other room was also big and our friend says the pullout couch was quite comfortable. The room was warm and the bed was very comfortable with a lot of pillows. (A lack of pillows seems to be a problem at the mom and pop places.) We went out on Saturday for a couple of hours and came back to the smell of burning plastic in our room; not able to place the source we figured it was the heating system since it was just turned on when we got there on Friday. Around midnight on Saturday night we realized that the heater in the room stopped working; we called the desk and the lady asked us to give it like ten minutes after she reset the heating system from the computer at the desk. After twenty minutes we called back and she offered to move us into the room across the hall. She even brought us the keys for the other room! (I was willing to get dressed and go get them) We moved into the room across the hall for the night. Check out on Sunday was a normal event. The lady behind the desk apologized for the problems with we had over the weekend.

The pool, office and restaurant were a bit of a walk from where we were on the property and other than the cold during the walk (not much we can do about that this time of year) we enjoyed walking back and forth. The pool was nice and warm and the jacuzzi was absolutely wonderful. The steam room and sauna were a little much for me but were nice as well. The food in the restaurant got mixed reviews from us; my Friday night dinner of chicken tenders was awesome but I wish she gave me more dipping sauce. My boyfriend had the prime rib on Saturday night and it was the best we've had in a long time. My lobster ravioli was barely warm at best; the pasta tasted like it had been cooked a couple of days before and the stuff inside had the taste and consistency of paste. Sunday brunch was OK; we came in at the end of it. The waitstaff and service was outstanding but the dining room needs a better and lighter color than the 60's yellow that's in it now.

All in all, we agreed that out of all of our travels this was one of the best places we've ever stayed at and will be back again. Our only complaint was the lack of salt/sand over the snow and ice in the parking lot. We're going to make this one of our regular trips every year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott L, Owner at Town & Country Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

We are happy to hear that you will be returning to stay with us. Our maintenance staff has since fixed the heater in your original room and we very much appreciate your patience and understanding while we rectified the problem. We aren't entirely sure how your reservation got misplaced for the incorrect weekend, but are glad that you did enjoy your suite. We have changed the lobster ravioli on the menu and will be having a new menu in the next few weeks. We hope that when you return, you will once again try our dining room. See you soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here Thanksgiving weekend for 2 nights. It is a lovely little hotel. We will definitely be back. Easy drive to Santa's Village and other area attractions also there is a WalMart Supercenter down the road in case you forget anything (which we ALWAYS do). We were very warmly greeted upon check in by 2 ladies who promptly gave us our keys and a few welcome to the area tips (ie: forgot swim diapers where can we get some). We requested a refrigerator in our room to keep our daughter's birthday cake cold until the next day and they also confirmed this at check in and asked for us to confirm it was present when entering room. Our room was nice. The bed was clean and comfortable and the heat worked fine. There was the standard table and chairs and a desk area. TV had a good selection of cable TV channels. The bathroom was slightly dated and could use a heavy cleaning, but I have come to expect this at privately owned, smaller hotels. The toiletries supplied were perfect, some of name brand status! The one slight issue we had with our room was apparently not the entire property is smoke free so even though we got a non-smoking room someone who had a smoking room down the hall must have been chain smoking because it was pumping into our room under the door. Not the worst ever, but when traveling with a small child and pregnant, the last thing you want to deal with is second hand smoke. It would be nice if the entire property went smoke free, especially when trying to appeal to families (hint hint).
The restaurant was a very nice space. On Friday night it seemed the wait staff and kitchen staff were not happy being there and the poor service and food showed it. Our daughter's pizza came out still frozen in the center, my husband's fish was less than ideal, but my cheese ravioli was fine. I ordered a soda and the cocktail waitress kept forgetting it to the point I finally stopped asking. And then at dessert, our waitress offered yesterday's pie which we thought was funny highlighting that it was a day old! On Saturday night we had a completely opposite experience. The staff seemed upbeat and ready to go, the food was hot and yummy, and our waiter was so helpful and excited to help with our daughter's birthday cake. He arranged the candles on it and got the entire dining rooms attention to sing happy birthday. He also took tons of family pictures for us so we both could be in them with her. I want to say his name was Luke. Such a great guy. So that is our story of our stay. Like I said, we will totally be back. I didn't even mention the pool. It is fabulous and indoors!!!

Room Tip: If you have kids, try to get a room in the building with the pool. Walking across the freezing cold...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Come back and see us again soon! Thank you for your positive review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our main pool building, which we renovated 25 of the rooms this past summer, made this building entirely smoke free. In he future you may request a room in this area. If someone was smoking in that building, please let us know! We informed Luc of your review and always appreciate when guests personally recognize our employees. Thank you again.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

A cute family spot. This is our second stay at the Town and Country Inn. We like to visit Santa’s Village in December and it’s tough to find a hotel in the area with an indoor pool for the kids. The rooms are average sized and are clean, which for me is the most important thing. Our room had 2 double beds and we requested a roll-away for my son. The roll-away was nice because it was a twin sized bed not your average fold up cot. The pool area was nice, a little small but very clean and comfortable. They also have a steam room and sauna which I haven’t found at many of the northern NH hotels. The prices are fantastic and the staff was courteous. My only con for the hotel is their onsite restaurant. First let me say its super cute. It’s has a nice retro look to it, like a 60’s ball room. Its cozy and the staff are very friendly and seem like they’ve worked there for years. The food was just not good at all. I ordered the lobster ravioli in a Gorgonzola sauce. The plate came out with 7 lg ravioli. The consistency I would guess is frozen. The filling tasted like past due salmon more than fresh lobster. The sauce was OK, nothing fancy but OK. I was hungry so I picked off the kid's plates and was even disappointed by theirs. Frozen chicken fingers and fries, and what might have been Stouffers frozen French bread pizza. My husband ordered the seafood Alfredo and commented that his sauce tasted like generic jar sauce. For such a cute place and a nice hotel I’d like to see these guys step up their kitchen so they can start earning better ratings.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room and the amenities. We regret however, to hear about your experience in our dining room. We strive to improve every aspect of the guests experience and your feedback helps us achieve this. We have since changed the lobster ravioli dish and are planning to reveal a new menu within the next few weeks. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Let me start by saying we called the hotel to make our reservations.
Requested to have rooms close to the pool and to be by our friends.
We received adjoining rooms. BUT we got the last rooms at the end the farthest away from the pool.
I am not talking a shot distance. We were also on the
Second floor , no elevators. Not fun when carrying luggage...

The indoor pool was freezing cold, and the Jacuzzi was something you would find in
someone's basement, 4 person hot tub! Seriously it was awful.

The room was good size, bed fairly comfortable. The décor of the room absolutely
awful. Dark brown curtains , brown wallpaper simply drab and not a feel good feel at all.
The rungs on the chairs were covered with dust.

I have read the other reviews, I don't understand how they could rate this place a 5. WOW.

The restaurant was excellent. However this is in a different building. You have to go outside to get to it. Also the front desk is in the same building as the restaurant.

Room Tip: I would suggest a different hotel. But if you are set on staying here. 1st floor close to the poo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Scott L, Owner at Town & Country Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I noticed you visited the T&C on our 2 nights for the price of 1 getaway weekend. You asked for adjoining rooms, which you received, but were to far away from the pool. If it was to far, why didn't you ask for something closer? We would have done our best to get you closer to the pool The only thing I can agree with you is that the pool water was colder than normal, as the pool are had been closed for ten days prior getting a new roof, painting the ceiling and the pool itself along with other maintenance. On Friday morning the temp was almost 80 degrees, and we usually keep it at 86. Regarding our Jacuzzi, a new one was put in about 1 year ago and we receive many compliments on it.
Our hotel is not a typical new box hotel with 4 stories and a dining room on the main floor, so perhaps we were not what you had anticipated. So many negative comments and the only thing you mention about our dining room, besides being excellent, is that you had to go to another building to get to it. Good luck in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Royalty Inn
Northern Peak Motor Inn
Moose Brook Motel
Moose Brook Motel
#5 of 7 in Gorham

Been to Town & Country Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!